Only Last 25 Messages Displayed (Yahoo) [SOLVED, but...]

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Godiva

Only Last 25 Messages Displayed (Yahoo) [SOLVED, but...]

Post by Godiva »

After updating my copy of PP to v4.5.1, I recently changed one of my account settings (Yahoo mail) from standard POP3 server type to Yahoo. After many months of very slow retrieval and multiple security errors during retrieval, I was pleasantly surprised when these problems disappeared with the change in server (and possibly due to the update as well). However, today I discovered that only the last 25 messages for this account are being shown in PP (I have at least 30 more sitting on the Yahoo website).

My setting for POP3/IMAP message retrieval is 0 (which is supposed to mean "All")

I've checked the PP settings for the Yahoo account itself as well as the various settings under Options, but I don't see anything showing a 25 message limit (or actually any message number limit). None of my other (non Yahoo) accounts has any limit, and I have visible messages in these other accounts ranging from a few hundred to over 10,000 in one of of them. Is this 25 message limit in my Yahoo account a bug, or am I looking in the wrong place to change the proper setting? If the latter, please tell me where to look.

SOLUTION: Well, I figured out the cause, but it's created another minor problem: The cause was that the setting (in Tools | Options | Message Retrieval) "Webmail: Retrieve only the first inbox page" was enabled. I don't think I've ever changed this setting, but I guess this being enabled doesn't affect Gmail accounts (since none of those have a 25 message limit). And previously, the Yahoo account retrieval method was POP3, so this option was irrelevant to that account before.

However, the minor problem is that after disabling this option, the older (previously undisplayed) messages are missing a lot of information in the list/columnar display: an incomplete "From" column, no entry in the "To" column, no timestamp (but there is a datestamp), and the message size is zero. Opening up each message individually fixes this problem, but I was fortunate to only have about 30 messages to process this way (I had retrieved over a thousand messages to my local client right before I updated PP and changed the server type to Yahoo!).

Is there a way to bulk select the reappeared messages so that their header info can all be updated at once?

Even though I solved my own problem, I'll leave this message in the forum as a minor warning to other people about changing this setting.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Only Last 25 Messages Displayed (Yahoo) [SOLVED, but...]

Post by Jeff »

By default, POP Peeper does *not* limit webmail messages.

Each webmail service defines how many messages are on a "page", and some allow you to control it (gmail does).

When you change protocols, the existing message data can get corrupted; and this seems to occur most frequently with Yahoo messages. v5.0 has already (uh, "will") addressed this by prompting you to clear the messages when you change the protocol. For v4, you'll need to do it manually:
https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... veFromList

Also: IMAP > POP3

huh, the Yahoo account I used for testing has an email that says Yahoo Messenger will be officially discontinued next month... Can't say I'm surprised, but kinda sad to see.