Feature Request: Allow Sorting of Draft Messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Godiva

Feature Request: Allow Sorting of Draft Messages

Post by Godiva »

I remember awhile ago someone asking for the ability to search messages (both received and draft), and Jeff's response was that it would be difficult to do (and therefore probably wouldn't get done anytime soon). Given that the received emails exist in locations other than Pop Peeper (for example, the web account), it's always been possible to search these other locations if you needed to. So this inability to search received emails within Pop Peeper was an annoyance, but at least there was a functional work-around.

However, draft messages created in Pop Peeper only exist in Pop Peeper, and this presents a problem. I don't know about other people, but in all my various email programs, I have a lot of unsent draft messages. There are many reasons these emails haven't been sent: Sometimes the circumstances change, so the email I drafted is no longer relevant, sometimes I just never get around to sending it, sometimes I'm waiting for more information (which hasn't yet come), etc.

However, there are times I want to go back to an unsent draft message and finally send it, but in Pop Peeper (because of the inability to search as well as the quantity of draft messages) it's often hard to find a specific draft. If a search is not possible, how about allowing column sorting of draft messages the same way it works with received emails? That way you could sort by date/time (to find the most recent), or by the To field (to group the drafts by recipient). This would greatly help the user to find a specific draft message.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Feature Request: Allow Sorting of Draft Messages

Post by Jeff »

Godiva wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:07 pm I remember awhile ago someone asking for the ability to search messages (both received and draft), and Jeff's response was that it would be difficult to do (and therefore probably wouldn't get done anytime soon)
Message searching has already been announced for v5:
https://www.esumsoft.com/blog/pop-peepe ... e-details/

This doesn't search the draft/outbox messages, however.

Very recently, I did notice that the draft/outbox messages are in no particular order and so they will be forced to appear in date/time order in v5. However, I will say that while making that change, it reminded me of the way I had written that code (oh, so long ago) and isn't very compatible with how the rest of PP works. The search results, on the other hand, works exactly like the "inbox" list. In fact, it behaves and looks so much the same that it was decided that when you minimize/restore PP, that it will return you to the inbox; otherwise you may not realize that you're still looking at the search results.

Out of curiosity, how many messages do you keep in your draft folder?
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

Jeff wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 pmOut of curiosity, how many messages do you keep in your draft folder?
About 100 in the one account I use most frequently with Pop Peeper.

Having the drafts sorted by date/time will definitely help. Allowing sorting by the other columns as well would help even more!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Understood. But just to be clear -- sorting draft/outbox on other columns *probably* won't happen in v5.0; but I'll be sure to take another look at it from that perspective.
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

Until you enable the sorting of Draft (and possibly Outbox) columns, (if this can be done easily) you may want to disable the ability to depress those column headers, since by that behavior, you expect them to sort when you do click them. Admittedly, this is not a major issue, but from a purist programmer's perspective, it currently doesn't behave "properly". :mrgreen: