"Yahoo login error" – over and over again

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
joewal72

"Yahoo login error" – over and over again

Post by joewal72 »

Hi Jeff,

since around 2 weeks I‘m not able to access my yahoo accounts via PP, always getting
„Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password“

Server Type is set to „Yahoo“ which worked fine for the last half year.

Naturally I have checked „Login Name and Password“ over and over again, but these are correct, and I can access via the normal web interface.

Any idea?

Best regards
Joachim
spc3rd

Re: "Yahoo login error" – over and over again

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Joachim,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with Yahoo.

To better assist you, please post back with the complete text of the error message PP is giving you, by following the instructions in the Sticky topic below. This provides The Esumsoft Team with additional information needed to evaluate the problem.

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post

* Please be sure to note the "CAUTION" statement, regarding personally-identifiable information in the instructions.

One other question for you: Have you tried switching to IMAP access instead?

Other members of The Esumsoft Team should be stopping by later to further review your topic.

Thank you and best regards.
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

joewal72 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:46 am .... Server Type is set to „Yahoo“ which worked fine for the last half year.

Naturally I have checked „Login Name and Password“ over and over again, but these are correct, and I can access via the normal web interface.

Any idea?
It is always helpful for us to have your "Error Overview" information by following the steps provided in the link to do so that spc3rd has posted above.

That said, the recommended protocol to use is actually "IMAP" as opposed to "Webmail" (which is what you are using with your "Server type" set to "Yahoo").

I leave a couple of my Yahoo 8 accounts on "Webmail" just so that I am aware of any Yahoo account "Webmail" issues that may exist and have not had any problems similar to yours. That said, the Yahoo "Webmail" Servers in your area may currently be problematic (which does occasionally occur for Yahoo accounts and could actually clear up in time).

However since the issue has persisted for some time now and because "IMAP" is the recommended protocol you might consider switching to "IMAP". To utilize the option to switch protocols simply edit the account and change the accounts "Server type" to "IMAP" (all other options will be set automatically). You should also be sure to press the "OAuth2" button (it will appear next to the login name after you have switched to "IMAP") and follow the subsequent instructions to authorize POP Peeper.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

As has already been said, using IMAP is the recommended protocol, but if you want to use Yahoo -- try logging int your account with your webbrowser (which I know you've said works), but it's important that you log out and sign back in as there may be an announcement that only appears during a full login which is blocking POP Peeper.
joewal72

Post by joewal72 »

Hi Jeff,

many thanks for your advice.

Here are the requested infos:

Complete error messages with

Server type: Yahoo
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.1.0
Webmail: 4.5.3.0
SSL: 1.0.2.14
IMAP: 4.5.1.0
SendMail: 4.5.0.0

--- Error ---
ACCOUNT X [3: Yahoo] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Login Error: Check your Login Name and Password.

- - - - - - - - -

IMAP configuration:
Server type: IMAP SSL/TLS
Incoming server: imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port: 993

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.1.0
Webmail: 4.5.3.0
SSL: 1.0.2.14
IMAP: 4.5.1.0
SendMail: 4.5.0.0

--- Error ---
ACCOUNT X [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 1]
- Bad Connection

I made several login and complete logout via normal browser access, but there was no change.

Best Regards
Joachim
Last edited by spc3rd on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Account names edited for security/privacy reasons & Webmail/SSL versions highlighted in red.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thank you for posting back with the requested information, Joachim.
There are a few things I see in the info you provided, which I've noted below:

1. Your Webmail plugin is not the most current. The current one is v4.5.4, and can be downloaded at the link below:

POP Peeper Plugins page

NOTE: To help ensure your Webmail plugin is always current, you can go to:
PP > [HELP] > About Pop Peeper... and check-mark the box which says, "Auto-update Webmail plugin".

2. The SSL plugin version shown in your information differs from my own, which is v1.1.0.8. However, I am not certain this is relevant to the issue you are having.

The latest SSL plugin can be downloaded at the PP Plugins link provided in Item # 1 above.

3. The '1000' error being reported is typically seen when PP cannot connect with the server. This may be due to issues with your firewall/security software. Please have a look at the information provided at the following link to see if this is applicable to your situation:

What does error message 1000 mean

Other members of The Esumsoft Team will be dropping-by later to further review your post, and provide additional feedback for you.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

I just have two quick questions for you joewal72 -- regarding two different errors that have been posted; is this error information reflective of two different Yahoo accounts with errors or has the same account produced the two different errors? (I'm presuming the former).

To clarify, when you "made several login and complete logout via normal browser access" what happened? I'm presuming you logged in successfully -- did you get any message(s) from Yahoo when you logged in?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Oh, one more thing -- you were formerly using "Webmail" (Server type = "Yahoo") whereas you are now using the IMAP protocol. Question: after switching to IMAP did you do the following that I mentioned in my previous post:
lakrsrool wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 amYou should also be sure to press the "OAuth2" button (it will appear next to the login name after you have switched to "IMAP") and follow the subsequent instructions to authorize POP Peeper.
This is important, if you did not then try clicking on the "OAuth2" button and follow through with the subsequent steps to authorize POP Peeper and then please report back your results.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Some clarifications:
- SSL v1.0.2.14 is the latest version for POP Peeper v4 (SSL v1.1 is not compatible with PPv4)
- The error that you're receiving for IMAP ("Bad connection") means that POP Peeper is not able to connect to the server. OAuth2 is for logging in (after PP has successfully connected to the server), so enabling OAuth2 is not going to fix a connection error (although OAuth2 is recommended if you use IMAP).

Hopefully updating to the latest webmail version will fix the problem (the update was specifically for Yahoo login error), but if you're still interested in using IMAP --
Since it looks like your server settings are correct for IMAP, the most logical explanation for the "bad connection" error is that something is blocking the connection. This could be any number of things like a firewall or incorrect settings in your AntiVirus.
joewal72

Post by joewal72 »

Hi All,

Many thanks for your kind support.

Upgrading the Webmail plugin did the trick.

I have now check-marked the box for the auto-update.

Again many thanks and best regards.
Joachim
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

On behalf of The Esumsoft Team, thank you for the update; Glad everything is working again for you! :mrgreen:

Best regards,
Global Moderator