Message headers previously read lost after PopPeeper restart

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
TheCBMAN

Message headers previously read lost after PopPeeper restart

Post by TheCBMAN »

Previously all the message headers for the previously read messages were again displayed after a PopPeeper restart and when I did a 'read' it also displayed the 'new' message headers. The other day I had a 'PC crash' due to a power failure and now each time I start PopPopper there are no message headers displayed for any of my accounts and now when I do a 'read' all the messages are reread including the new ones. This is very time consuming, especially for some of the accounts with hundreds of old messages. What controls the retaining of the messages headers in PopPeeper? This happens for all my accounts GMAIL, Yahoo, Comcast, etc.
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from TRANSLATIONS to POP PEEPER sub-forum.
spc3rd

Re: Message headers previously read lost after PopPeeper restart

Post by spc3rd »

TheCBMAN wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:39 am Previously all the message headers for the previously read messages were again displayed after a PopPeeper restart and when I did a 'read' it also displayed the 'new' message headers. The other day I had a 'PC crash' due to a power failure and now each time I start PopPopper there are no message headers displayed for any of my accounts and now when I do a 'read' all the messages are reread including the new ones. This is very time consuming, especially for some of the accounts with hundreds of old messages. What controls the retaining of the messages headers in PopPeeper? This happens for all my accounts GMAIL, Yahoo, Comcast, etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi CBMAN and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums,

The issues you're having are a bit unusual (in my experience), so I'll provide what help I can to get started, and other members of the Esumsoft Team will be dropping-by later to assist you further.

With regard to the part of your topic shown in red font above, please open the PP main interface and click on [MESSAGES] > Hide READ messages. Make sure this option is not enabled.
Then, again click on [MESSAGES] > Hide SEEN messages, to ensure this option is not enabled either.

Let us know whether or not disabling the above options resolved the issue you are having.

Also, open the PP main interface and click on [TOOLS] > [OPTIONS] > Message retrieval. Let us know what your settings are (See the example image below):
PP > TOOLS > OPTIONS > Message retrieval window
PP > TOOLS > OPTIONS > Message retrieval window

In the interim, while awaiting further review of your topic by other members of The Esumsoft Team, we ask that you please review the following Sticky:

Information for new users and forum members

The article contains important information which new members should be aware of. If you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

Thank you & best regards,
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to revise information requested & include an example screenshot.
Global Moderator
TheCBMAN

Post by TheCBMAN »

Neither the 'Hide Read/Seen messages' is checked and attached is a screen print of the 'Message Retrieval' option settings.
PopPeeper-MessageRetrieval.png
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I would try resetting the database files:
1) First, find out where POP Peeper is saving the files:
main menu: Tools / Options;
select the "Storage" page
refer to the "data path" folder
-> Open this folder in Windows Explorer

2) EXIT POP Peeper

3) Back in your Windows Explorer (at the POP Peeper data folder), do a search for:
data.db

4) There will be a result for each account that you have;
rename each result to something like data-old.db

5) Restart POP Peeper and see if the problem is fixed
-> I would recommend just checking one small account that had the problem before, then exit and restart PP to see if the messages are retained.

If you still have a problem, let us know what values you have under Tools / Options / Storage for:
- Ini Location
- Data path
TheCBMAN

Post by TheCBMAN »

Thanks Jeff. I renamed all the 'data.db' files to 'data-old.db', started POP Peeper and read in the email headers for all messages in all the accounts. I then exited POP Peeper and restarted and all the message headers were still there. Everything is now fine. Thanks for the support.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad to hear that worked!

Do not feel obligated, but would you be willing to share any of your old databases (the original ones that you renamed) with me (and only me) so that I can investigate the problem and see if this can be avoided in the future? Just so you know, it's possible that your complete messages or fragments are in the list, but your accounts' login/passwords are *not*. The messages are encrypted by default, although I would have the capability to decrypt them; I would *not* be interested in the contents of the messages and there shouldn't be any reason to go out of my way to decrypt them. Since you said that the messages don't even show up in the message list, there likely wouldn't be a need for me to access them; what I would do first is try to add *new* messages and see why they aren't being saved.

Anyway, that's my plea and disclosure, but I completely understand if you're not comfortable providing that. But if you are, please contact me via email (support at esumsoft dot com) and we'll go from there.