Comodo email-signing certificate

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jmjsquared

Comodo email-signing certificate

Post by jmjsquared »

Greetings, Jeff,

Can POP Peeper use Comodo's "Secure Email Certificate (S/MIME)", as described here: https://www.comodo.com/home/email-secur ... ficate.php. If so, are there any special considerations you can advise. If not, can you recommend an alternative or a "work-around" to achieve the desired result using POP Peeper, as I hate having to fire up Outlook when sending sensitive emails.

Thanks. :)

--JMJ
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Comodo email-signing certificate

Post by Jeff »

For reference, this certificate is for email (s/mime) encryption/signing.

No, POP Peeper does not currently support this, it is something that I have considered, however, so it is on the fringes of my radar. Thanks for suggesting it, though; it's always better to know that a major feature like that is something that people want/expect.
jmjsquared

Post by jmjsquared »

Yes, I know, thanks.

Since it is somewhere on your "radar", perhaps you will get your NSA/CIA/FBI/ASPCA contacts to help move it from the fringes to dead-center. :?

I will try re-installing my existing certificates but, this time, system-wide rather than specifically for Outlook and see if Comodo picks up POP Peeper traffic.

Will let you know if that succeeds.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Let me make sure that we're on the same page here. The page you linked to suggested a certificate used for the purpose of digitally signing and encrypting email, as opposed to an SSL certificate for your hostname.

If you're referring to the latter (ie. you're getting an SSL certificate error when trying to access your email via POP Peeper), then -- yes, that should work by importing your certificate into your Windows certificate store. If you have a certificate file, then double-clicking that file should give you the ability to import it. For the record, PPv5 will have the capability to import certs into its own certificate store (although I dare say that I would still recommend importing it into the Windows store because it's generally more accessible to other programs there).

So if *that's* what you're talking about, then it should work with PP and if it's not, I *can* help you now. But if you *are* using it for digital signing/encryption, then simply installing the certificate won't help PP; it has to be specifically supported by the client.