Slide-out announcement

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
paweterings

Slide-out announcement

Post by paweterings »

I use poppeeper to check for new mails. When I get a new mail, there is a slide-out announcemet with the sender. This is only visible for 5 seconds.
I would like to extend this time to one minute so I gan get to my computer and read the announcement to see if I have to take immediate action.
How can I achieve this?
Thanks very much for your attention
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Slide-out announcement

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to the POP Peeper forums, paweterings. Be sure to check out this link for general information about the forums.

If you're using the default Windows notification, then Windows does not allow this to be changed for individual apps, but you can change the global setting. In Windows 10:
- Open the "Ease of access" setting (type "ease of access" into the start menu and open whatever appears first)
- Select "Display" on the left
- Scroll down a little and you should see a section labeled "Simplify and personalize windows"
- Under which has the setting for "Show notifications for..."
-> FYI: I've changed this to 5 minutes myself, and something tells me that you may have to change this in another place, too, but I can't seem to find it. So if it doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to find it again.
-> Also: there seems to be a bug in Win10 where if you click on the notification after about 30s, it doesn't tell the app that you clicked on it; the balloon just disappears and it won't open POP Peeper like it would otherwise.

Alternatively, you can also use the POP Peeper Skin Notifier (free download). This displays more information and is a lot more flexible. You can set the exact amount of time before it removes itself, or you can set it to display until it's dismissed.

There's also the "Desktop Alert" (main menu: Tools / Options / Notification; change the "when I receive email" option). This will stay on the screen until dismissed. It's not as flexible or as pretty as the skin notifier, but it's functional and built-in.
mjs

Re: Slide-out announcement

Post by mjs »

Just to add my 2-cents -- personally I use the built-in Desktop Alert myself and leave the "Show Summary" display (message detail slide-out, controlled by the upper-right button just above the "Dismiss" button below it enabled so the message details always display (as illustrated in the screen-shot) when the "Desktop Alert" pop-up displays for new messages. You can also right-click in the main message alert area to get a context menu that offers many additional options.

Also the "Desktop Alert" provides the nice feature of including color coordination with the optional POP Peeper theme colors that will be available in PPv5 and the "Desktop Alert" can be positioned anywhere you like on your desktop (in my case I am using the "CornFlower Blue" theme so the "Desktop Alert" displays that specific themes corresponding colors as illustrated in the screen-shot example below).
This message alert (Desktop Alert) can be positioned on the desktop anywhere you like.  As you can see I have it positioned in the default lower-left corner of my desktop.  (Note: To the right is the Right-Click Context Menu)
This message alert (Desktop Alert) can be positioned on the desktop anywhere you like. As you can see I have it positioned in the default lower-left corner of my desktop. (Note: To the right is the Right-Click Context Menu)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers