Problem with Yahoo.com with one email account

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gitty1

Problem with Yahoo.com with one email account

Post by gitty1 »

Hi,
Hope all is well at Esumsoft HQ.

I've been having trouble with one of my Yahoo.com accounts - all the others work perfectly.
The trouble started when I changed the password when logged in to the yahoo website a couple of weeks ago. I changed the password on pp and from thereafter got the following error:
Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials)
I have attempted to re-authorise OAuth2.
"Your Yahoo account '''account''' was just used to sign in on POP Peeper. If you did this, you’re all set. If not, please use this link to stop sharing, and then create a new password."
I get the above email when logging into Yahoo on the web each time I re-authorise OAuth2 so Yahoo seems to be happy with pp.

I have checked and re-checked the login details. The password is definitely ok. I've checked the account server details with other yahoo accounts and they are identical except for the obvious (account name/login name/password).
I tried deleting the account and recreating the account from scratch in pp.
I tried restoring a backup and also an upgrade to latest version - all with the same result.
There is no problem when I log into the Yahoo account through the web portal and there are no captcha screens or anything to click out of the ordinary. I upgraded to new yahoo like a good boy even though I didn't want to.
I also disabled the firewall

Below is the error log when I try to send an email from the account I get the following error:
"Login error: Auth login"
The full log is:
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.2.0
Webmail: 4.5.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
'''account'''- imap [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 4]
- Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials)
Send Mail: Suspended (Too many errors; edit and re-send this message)
* Suspended - Login Error: Auth Login

Aaaarrggggghhhh!

I changed a password (I do this every so often for security) on a gmail account at the same time and there was no problem. I'm a little unsure in changing a password in another Yahoo account in case the same thing happens.

Any other ideas please?
Can't think of any other info that might be of assistance for now.

Many many thanks in advance.

ps, I changed the name of the account to '''account''' below.
This is the log when I try to receive email.......
--- Version ---

--- Error ---
'''account'''- imap [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Problem with Yahoo.com with one email account

Post by Jeff »

The one thing that comes to mind is to edit the account and make sure that the "login name" contains your full email address.

If that doesn't work, try this experiment (note "experiment" -- this isn't necessarily intended to be a solution, as it will be less secure):
- Edit the account in POP Peeper and press the "OAuth2" button
- it will ask you to delete the existing credentials: press YES
- DO NOT continue through the Oauth2 authorization, just cancel it
- Go to this page (make sure that you're signed into the same email account with your webbrowser):
https://login.yahoo.com/account/security
- At the bottom is the "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" -- ENABLE this option
-> test if the account works in PP now

One other thing, when you're at the URL I linked to above, what does it say for "how you sign in" at the top? For me, it says "password is enabled." I'm not using a "Yahoo Account Key" or "two-step verification", which I assume is relevant to that.

Also, one thing to note is that when PP is using Oauth2, your password is not used -- you can (and should) delete it when Oauth2 is working. But you do need to enter the password for the experiment above (since it won't be using OAuth2).
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the login name with both the full email address and the user part. Same results.

When I edit the account, if I press the OAuth2 button it doesn't give the option to delete the existing credentials - it goes straight through to the PP/IE to login to Yahoo.
(as an aside, is there a way to change it so it doesn't go to IE as I don't have a recent version of IE installed on the computer as that is not my browser of choice?)

OK - here is where it might get more messy....
I went into the link you pasted below (I did try it previously as I went through some of the pinned posts).
At that link when I press the 'Allow apps that use less secure sign-in", it takes me to another page that says "Uh oh, looks as though something went wrong. Please try again later.", whereas the link above it to allow 2-step verification (no, I don't use that or the account key, and 'password is enabled' is at the top) works and takes me to the phone number verification page.
But, in Yahoo web portal, I still get the new email each time I authorise OAuth2 in pp saying that pp has accessed my account and if that was intended then all is well. If not click the link.

Thanks Jeff,
John
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello John,

While awaiting Jeff's return to continue his follow-up on the Yahoo issue you are having, I have a question for you.

In a previous post HERE (about a Yahoo problem) made in April 2016, you indicated that you were using PeerBlock. Are you still using this?

Best regards.
Global Moderator
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your reply also.
Yes, I do still use it but that was disabled along with the firewall.
Good call though as I did overlook that one last time :oops:
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Tried a little playing around - re created the account in pp with 2 different server settings and got the following:

--- Version ---

--- Error ---
111acct - imap [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]

111acct - pop3 [0: POP3] ['pop.mail.yahoo.com' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]
- Login Error ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.)

111acct - yahoo1 [3: Yahoo] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [consec: 1]
- Error: Try again later. (-11)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Can you PM (ie. don't post in forum) me with your email address? The reason I'm asking for this is because it sounds like POP Peeper isn't correctly storing the OAuth2 data (judging by the fact that you don't get asked to delete it when pressing the OAuth2 button again). There was a problem with certain gmail accounts last year, if the email address contained the phrase "success" and I'm wondering if you have a similar issue with Yahoo.

As for your last test:
- POP3 probably needs to be enabled in your account (via browser). Yahoo disables POP3 by default and I believe that's the error they report when it's disabled.

- WebMail: You need WebMail v4.5.7 which addresses that very error. POP Peeper doesn't update the webmail automatically unless you have an affected account, and since you just added the account (as webmail), it didn't have time to auto-update yet.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
Well done -

The webmail update solved one of the problems.
One of the new accounts now receives email.
This has the default pp Yahoo server.

Unfortunately I can't seem to send from this account.
I've tried webmail server to send and it comes up with " * - Suspended Webmail Account not found"
Also, the smtp server to send comes up with "Login Error : Auth Login"
The account in bold (below) receives ok now (thank you).

--- Version ---
Webmail: 4.5.7.0

--- Error ---
111acct - imap [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]

111acct - yahoo [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]

111acct - yahoo1 [3: Yahoo] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]
- 13 Message(s)
Send Mail: Login Error: Auth Login
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I created a yahoo account using the email account you sent me (I just added some random numbers to the end) and I didn't have any problem with Oauth2 in PP, so I'm not sure that it's something related to your email address like I suspected. Can you please email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and we'll continue troubleshooting this via email?

Regarding webmail: You probably won't get smtp to work. It will either need to use OAuth2 or password by disabling the OAuth2 requirement (which you said you couldn't change in your Yahoo account; although you may want to try again now that it's later). You can try changing the "send option" to "webmail" in your PP account, and you may need to exit/restart POP Peeper to reset the "webmail account not found". However, all in all, webmail is not the recommended solution and I'd really like to find out why oauth2 isn't working.

btw, if you want to keep the account that's working, you can create another account using the same email address to test/experiment with oauth2. You can right-click on the account and "duplicate" it (if you don't see that option, enable "Advanced Options" under main menu: Tools / Options / General page)
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

The easy option would be for me to run away and hide my head in a sandpit somewhere.

OK,
I use Opera browser and have a few different anti-ad/anti track plugins.
It seems that Privacy Badger was the one causing the problem with enabling/disabling pp in Yahoo on the link Jeff sent.
:oops: again

It is all working now. On all the recreated accounts also - no yellow exclamation mark.

So, going back to 2016, yes, trying to stay relatively safe on the web does make it a little more complicated sometimes.
Many thanks to Jeff and Pete though.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

You're quite welcome, John, and thanks very much for posting back with the detailed info about the cause of the issue(s) you were experiencing! :mrgreen:

Other forum members will find it helpful if they happen to encounter a similar problem.

Cheers!
Global Moderator
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

By now you probably know how robust pp is, so there is usually an aspect of user error somewhere along the path.
Thanks for you patience
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

But I take it that you're still not able to utilize OAuth2 in POP Peeper? I'd still like to get to the bottom of that question, but I'll leave it up to you as to whether you want to troubleshoot that or not.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
OAuth2 is working now - it started working without playing around in pp.
I think that because the plugin stopped the button in Yahoo (that enables/disables less secure apps) from working, once the plugin was disabled, I stopped receiving the error in Yahoo also.
Seemed to be a bit of a choke point.
I don't want to (but can if you would like me to try as an experiment) re-authorise OAuth2 again - it is back to how it was now.
Clipboard01.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to make sure we're on the same page -- did you enable the setting in Yahoo to "Allow apps that use less secure sign in"?

If that option is enabled, then it's possible that POP Peeper is still using your password (and not using OAuth2). You can try deleting the password from your account in POP Peeper and see if it's still able to login (or instead of deleting the password entirely, another trick I use myself sometimes is to just add an 'X' or something to the end of the password and then check that it still works; then you can remove the 'X' at the end instead of having to re-type the password; or delete the password if OAuth is working).
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
You're right.
When I take out the password in pp it doesn't work again.
In Yahoo 'less secure apps' are enabled though.

I'm fine with it working as is though - but I'll leave it to you if you want to play.
When I 'edit' the account in pp I get the 'do you want to enable OAuth2' popup.
If I click Yes, I get the attached page (pp2) (Please note the out of date browser as I don't use IE)
I click ok then get the next screen to type in the password.
Then the "By agreeing, you will allow POP Peeper to access: " page comes up, so I press "Agree".
Then I get the following attached page (pp3).

But, through an associated yahoo account I get a security email forwarded from this account that says "Your Yahoo account ***** was just used to sign in on POP Peeper. If you did this, you’re all set."
However, it won't work through OAuth2.
As I said, I'm fine with it either way as it is working in pp.

All my other Yahoo accounts I tried removing the password in pp and they work fine.
When I put the password for the 'broken' account back into pp it worked fine. Also, when this account is working, I get all the emails through about how pp is enabled etc. (Attached pp4)
Cheers,
Attachments
pp2.jpg
pp3.jpg
pp4.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, the "cannot display the webpage" is definitely a problem. If POP Peeper is able to retrieve the OAuth token successfully, then the window will close automatically. And that explains why you're not getting the "reset" question when you try to re-enter OAuth2 on that account. So, even though Yahoo thinks that the process was successful, it was not as far as PP is concerned.

Most likely, the problem is with the out-dated IE (do you know what version of IE you have?). My one hang-up about that theory is that you obviously got it to work for your other accounts. But -- is it possible that you authorized OAuth2 on another computer? Or perhaps you're now using a security app/plugin that you weren't using before?

My advice would be to update IE, whether you go to the effort of using OAuth2 or not. The IE back-end is baked into the Windows OS and so you never know what 3rd party apps (like POP Peeper) are using it. It's better to keep it updated and take advantage of the most up-to-date security updates (at least for the next year while Win7 is still supported by Microsoft) even if you don't directly use it.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
Yes, I've toyed with the idea, but IE does seem to be quite invasive. A bit apple-like if you see what I mean.
I agree that generally it should be updated but I think I 'locked it down' as much as a user can when I first set up the computer.

Would there be a way for me to trick pp into using a different browser?

I know for definite I have re-authorised OAuth2 for most, if not all, accounts within the last few months.
I'll have a think and get back about plugins etc.

OK,
After verifying OAuth2 was working for the other yahoo accounts for at least the last 16 hours without a problem, they are now throwing up the following error intermittently.....
--- Version ---
Webmail: 4.5.7.0

--- Error ---
"different account" [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]
- Error (Server said BYE: IMAP4rev1 Server logging out)
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

FWIW, just a brief note here that there was apparently a problem with the Yahoo servers for a few hours, beginning around 5:30 p.m. today (U.S. EST). My own Yahoo IMAP accounts in PP kept returning the "Server unexpectedly disconnected" error message.

The server-status graph shown at http://downrightnow.com/yahoomail confirmed the outage at the time.
Their servers appear to be working properly again as of this post.

* Interestingly, PP users experienced this same issue with Yahoo's servers one year ago as reported in this Forum topic.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Global Moderator
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Pete,
Thanks for that. The issue has gone away again so hopefully it was that.

Jeff,
I can delete the OAuth2 credentials in another Yahoo account, to see if they can be re-authorised.
Could also try a Gmail account to experiment?
Will try that in a few hours hopefully when I get some time to play with pp.

Cheers