Non-English letters/characters don't display correctly (character encoding / utf-8

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
OmTatSat

Non-English letters/characters don't display correctly (character encoding / utf-8

Post by OmTatSat »

POPPeeper Image
mail.ru web service Image
Attachments
Screen Shot 02-11-19 at 10.24 AM_proc.jpg
Screen Shot 02-11-19 at 10.20 AM.PNG
Last edited by spc3rd on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Source code image removed for security/privacy reasons.
spc3rd

Re: Non-English letters/characters don't display correctly (character encoding / utf-8

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, OmTatSat,

I removed the email source-code from your topic as it contains personally-identifiable information, including your email address. Such information can be gathered by spambots. Please be sure to edit any images or attachments before posting them, so personal information is not shown in open forum.
This is for your security & privacy.

As you are our newest member, The Esumsoft Team requests that you review the following Sticky topic:

Information for new users and forum members

The article contains important information which all members should be aware of. If you should have any questions or comments, please feel free to let us know.

Other members of the The Esumsoft Team will be reviewing your topic further and provide additional follow-up.

Thank you and best regards, :)
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Non-English letters/characters don't display correctly (character encoding / utf-8

Post by Jeff »

Try changing the following setting in Windows (instructions may be slightly different for your OS):
- Windows Control Panel
- Clock and Region / "change date, time or number formats"
- Click on "administrative" tab
- Press the "change system locale" button in the "language for non-unicode programs" section (bottom)
- Select the most appropriate language from the list
-> This will likely require you to restart your computer or Windows
OmTatSat

Post by OmTatSat »

Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:14 pm Try changing the following setting in Windows (instructions may be slightly different for your OS):
- Windows Control Panel
- Clock and Region / "change date, time or number formats"
- Click on "administrative" tab
- Press the "change system locale" button in the "language for non-unicode programs" section (bottom)
- Select the most appropriate language from the list
-> This will likely require you to restart your computer or Windows
Thank you for reply, i saw and try to use this recommendation, but there is already chosed Russian language.
What else can i do?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I noticed that other messages are displayed correctly. Do you know if those are using a different encoding format? (you may be able to view the message, then look under menu: "View / Encoding" to see what the message encoding is). Koi8-r should be manually converted by PP, so perhaps they're using that. I saw that there are at least a couple of different "Russian" values in the non-unicode selection, so it's possible that changing to another one would help, but it's also possible that it would break your other messages. Unfortunately, that's about your only recourse at the moment.

I known I've been saying this for a long time, but one of these days, POP Peeper *will* support unicode so this won't be an issue anymore; hopefully sooner than later...
OmTatSat

Post by OmTatSat »

Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:05 pm I noticed that other messages are displayed correctly. Do you know if those are using a different encoding format? (you may be able to view the message, then look under menu: "View / Encoding" to see what the message encoding is). Koi8-r should be manually converted by PP, so perhaps they're using that. I saw that there are at least a couple of different "Russian" values in the non-unicode selection, so it's possible that changing to another one would help, but it's also possible that it would break your other messages. Unfortunately, that's about your only recourse at the moment.

I known I've been saying this for a long time, but one of these days, POP Peeper *will* support unicode so this won't be an issue anymore; hopefully sooner than later...
Yes, other messages displayed correctly.
this displayed not correctly
"
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: =?utf-8?B?IA==?= ...
From: =?utf-8?B?0KTQvtGA0YPQvCBUYWtlci5pbQ==?= <postmaster@taker.me>
X-Mailru-Msgtype: mass2-sergei_taker
X-Smart-Mailer: 2/5
X-Smart-QID: 42744996
Reply-To: =?utf-8?B?0KTQvtGA0YPQvCBUYWtlci5pbQ==?= <postmaster@taker.me>
Precedence: bulk
Message-Id: <mass-190211094237_6804_804275_75976c3091@Falconsender.ru>
List-Unsubscribe: <http://fsclick.ru/l_ru/delete.html?q=00 ... FB&robot=1>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 09:42:37 +0300
Subject: ★ Лучшие обзоры покупок за неделю
"

and this correctly
"
Subject: =?UTF-8?B?0J/QvtGB0YvQu9C60LAg0L/RgNC40LHRi9C70LAg?=
=?UTF-8?B?0LIg0YHRgtGA0LDQvdGDINC90LDQt9C90LDRh9C1?=
=?UTF-8?B?0L3QuNGPOiDQvdC+0LzQtdGAINC30LDQutCw0Lc=?=
=?UTF-8?B?0LAgOTc3ODIxMjQ1MDA0MzM=?=
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
boundary="----=_Part_216955382_545021591.1549883617530"
X-77F55803: F1BBDF42B6CC4A87B0AE8E75B15F0883D065BFE6A7F09A9C7AB551B87966E789BFD3A26CF89F194D0DD48A09D218FC3138379FE94B2EBC8D
X-7FA49CB5: 0D63561A33F958A56C40C8C3FA8DE7FFF688DCF43A2C6173432F12924124198A4F60287FCD28770D176DF2183F8FC7C0A9F471E0E9F9B2CC708EB1C593AD89356BA297DBC24807EABDAD6C7F3747799A
X-DMARC-Policy: quarantine
X-DMARC-Result: pass
X-Mailru-Dmarc-Auth: dmarc=pass header.from=transaction@notice.aliexpress.com
X-Mras: OK
X-Spam: undefined
Authentication-Results: mxs.mail.ru; spf=pass (mx28.mail.ru: domain of notice.aliexpress.com designates 115.124.22.59 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=transaction@notice.aliexpress.com smtp.helo=out22-59.mail.alibaba.com;
dkim=pass header.d=aliexpress.com; dmarc=pass header.from=transaction@notice.aliexpress.com
X-Mailru-Intl-Transport: d,b566ca8

------=_Part_216955382_545021591.1549883617530
Content-Type: text/html;charset=utf-8
"
I have only one "Russian" value in the non-unicode selection((
Attachments
Screen Shot 02-12-19 at 10.52 AM.PNG
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ah, ok. So in the working samples, the text is explicitly marked as utf-8; whereas in the sample that failed, there's no such indication. I'm not entirely sure that's allowed (I would lean toward it not correct, but it's possible that things have changed [although, I haven't found any such evidence and it doesn't make logical sense anyway]), as any character encoding not indicated is assumed/required to be ascii. The fact that the 'from' and 'reply-to' fields in the same message are properly encoded also suggests that it's a mistake.

Do you get a lot of this type of email? And, in this case, was the email spam?
OmTatSat

Post by OmTatSat »

Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:53 pm Ah, ok. So in the working samples, the text is explicitly marked as utf-8; whereas in the sample that failed, there's no such indication. I'm not entirely sure that's allowed (I would lean toward it not correct, but it's possible that things have changed [although, I haven't found any such evidence and it doesn't make logical sense anyway]), as any character encoding not indicated is assumed/required to be ascii. The fact that the 'from' and 'reply-to' fields in the same message are properly encoded also suggests that it's a mistake.

Do you get a lot of this type of email? And, in this case, was the email spam?
Are there any way to fix it? May be force POP Peeper to encode messages from this sender like utf8?
1 message in 2-3 days, email not in spam
Attachments
Screen Shot 02-12-19 at 10.27 PM.PNG
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'll look into it, but I suspect that the extra cpu cycles it would take to detect as utf-8 wouldn't be worth it before POP Peeper officially supports utf-8 (that's why I was interested in knowing how often you see it).
OmTatSat

Post by OmTatSat »

Jeff wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:02 pm I'll look into it, but I suspect that the extra cpu cycles it would take to detect as utf-8 wouldn't be worth it before POP Peeper officially supports utf-8 (that's why I was interested in knowing how often you see it).
Thank you, if you can make some workaround i will be very happy!) Potential extra cycles is ok, i think modern CPU wouldn't notice it at all. Of course may be option to switch on and off it in settings will be nice fore those who don't get such kind of problem.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It's unlikely that something like this would be noticed for individual messages; but it's something that would start racking up a lot of time when someone has to download 10K messages. It's not just the subject field, it would have to apply to the from, to and cc fields, as well.

I was wondering if you could you clarify a couple of your previous statements -- I had asked how many emails you've seen and also if the email was spam. You had answered:
"1 message in 2-3 days, email not in spam"

Does that mean you get 1 such message every 2 or 3 days; or that you have only received 1 email in total?

And I wasn't specifically asking if the email was *evaluated* as spam, but rather if the email itself was actually spam, ie. do *you* believe the email was spam? The reason I ask is that the formatting of the message (that is, some fields are formatted correctly, but the subject was not) is not technically correct, which makes it more likely that it originated as spam; although, newsletters are also not always setup correctly and so I would go 50/50 on it being either spam or a newsletter.
OmTatSat

Post by OmTatSat »

Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:00 pm It's unlikely that something like this would be noticed for individual messages; but it's something that would start racking up a lot of time when someone has to download 10K messages. It's not just the subject field, it would have to apply to the from, to and cc fields, as well.

I was wondering if you could you clarify a couple of your previous statements -- I had asked how many emails you've seen and also if the email was spam. You had answered:
"1 message in 2-3 days, email not in spam"

Does that mean you get 1 such message every 2 or 3 days; or that you have only received 1 email in total?

And I wasn't specifically asking if the email was *evaluated* as spam, but rather if the email itself was actually spam, ie. do *you* believe the email was spam? The reason I ask is that the formatting of the message (that is, some fields are formatted correctly, but the subject was not) is not technically correct, which makes it more likely that it originated as spam; although, newsletters are also not always setup correctly and so I would go 50/50 on it being either spam or a newsletter.
Sorry for my bad English(
"Does that mean you get 1 such message every 2 or 3 days" Yes, every 2-3 days.
No, it is not spam, i am subscribe to it by my self. So, it is useful sometimes)
In fact, i think around 1 year ago, i received right email theme(with right encoding) from this sender.