Open webmail account

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Free User

Open webmail account

Post by Free User »

First, I must say that I find this mail notifier outstanding.
I have recently switch from "Gmail notifier Pro" to "PopPeeper".

But there's one feature that I can not find back in PP.

Is there a way that I can open a webmail account (Google.com, Live.com) by selecting a account from within the PP accountlist?

Sometimes, I find it usefull to move received mail into a specific group/map.

So now I need to manually start a browser and type the url. It would be more easy if PP could do all the work for me.
mjs

Re: Open webmail account

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Free User,

There is a "View Message online" option available under "View" in the POP Peeper read window menu however due to technical issues I'm not aware of any Webmail Services that this option works with any longer.

As I understand it, this is because POP Peeper uses the Basic/HTML interface as opposed to the ajax interface. To clarify, when Webmail services used the standard HTML there was a direct URL to get an email message however with the javascript/ajax that is now more prevalent with Webmail Services there's no longer a direct URL to "get" the message using standard HTML as POP Peeper does.

That said, there is a way to move messages in IMAP accounts, see link: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... vemessages -- however this is only available in POP Peeper PRO.

Other members of the Esumsoft Team may be posting their respective feedback as well at some point. Also in as much as you are new to the forum, each of us would not only like to take this time to extend our welcome to you but would like to also recommend that you peruse the following topic on the forum announcements page when you find the time: Information for new users & forum members, which provides a variety of resources for new members including various steps to take whenever problems may occur with POP Peeper.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Free User

Post by Free User »

@lakrsrool

Thanks for your reply.
I did have a search on the forum before I made this topic. But I could not find any topic about this feature.

I only wanted to know if Pop Peeper can open a standard browser when I select a account from the account list. And that the adressbar of the browser is filled with the url of that specific mailbox.

The moving of the mail to another map/label was only one example, that I could do with this feature.
mjs

Post by mjs »

The "View Message online" option I referenced would have opened your webmail account in your default web browser -- but unfortunately as far as I'm aware this option is no longer functional with most if not all webmail services and I'm not aware of any other PP function that will do what you've specifically requested. Other members of the Esumsoft Team may may at some point have additional feedback on this.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, this is possible:
1) Enable "advanced options" if it's not already enabled (Tools / Options; "General" page)
2) Edit each account
3) Select the "Advanced" page
4) Fill in the "email client" with the URL (note that URL's require a '+' in front of them, or you can select "URL..." from the dropdown which will add it for you); e.g.
+https://www.gmail.com/
5) Save the account
6) When you want to open the URL, you can:
- Right-click on the account and select "Run email client"
- Select the account and press the "Run client" button (you can add this button to the toolbar -- menu: View / Customize toolbar)
- You can change the "double-click on account" action to open the client (menu: Tools / PPtweaker; "Misc" page; "when I double-click an account..."
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ I considered using the account specific "Email Client" setting to open an account on the Internet but wondered what the results would be if a user has multiple Webmail accounts (username's) for a specific Webmail Service (domain) and has one of the Webmail accounts open -- in other words what the results would be in the event the user is logged into an account and selects a different account (uername) for the same Webmail Service (domain) to open in their browser that the user is not logged into using this account specific "Email Client" method.

My assumption was that when a user is logged into a specific "Username" for a specific Webmail Account Service (specific domain, i.e Gmail, Yahoo etc.) then all Accounts selected to open in the browser for that specific Webmail Service (domain) would only open the specific logged into (username) account even if the account selected to open in the browser was not the specific Webmail (Username) that was logged-into for that specific Webmail Service (domain).

This is the result I got (for MSN and Google Webmail) -- so if an account is open (logged into) this will be the specific account (username) that will open in the browser in all cases. (if not logged into an account then the log-in page will load in the browser of course).

Note: I found that it is important to use the "mail" URL parameter at the end of the URL's as such:
Gmail = "https://mail.google.com/mail/".
MSN (Outlook, Live, Hotmail domains) = "https://outlook.live.com/mail/".

From what I can tell "inbox" URL's will get the same expected results:
Gmail: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox.
MSN: https://outlook.live.com/mail/inbox.

Other URL's than the above that specify email login pages on the web may have varied results (i.e. for other MSN URL's the page that opens will be the Microsoft Accounts page in most cases instead of the Webmail page). I only tested using the Account right-click context menu method and did not test for any other Webmail Services.
Free User

Post by Free User »

@Jeff
@lakrsrool

Thanks, both your solutions did the trick. This is what I was really looking for.

=D>