roundcube server with PopPeeper 4.5.2 no longer works [resolved]

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Wullfk

roundcube server with PopPeeper 4.5.2 no longer works [resolved]

Post by Wullfk »

Hello,

I'm French, so I'm sorry if my English isn't perfect.

With my Over-blog account I created two roundcube email addresses at: hxxps://webmail.gandi.net/roundcube/
next to that I use PopPeeper to check my emails, except since version 4.5.2 the notification of my two accounts no longer work, so I have to stay on version 4.5.1

Here is the log of the error:

Code: Select all

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.2.0
Webmail: 4.5.7.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
RSS: 4.5.0.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0
Notification Voice: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error: 
Time: 08:45:03 - 08:45:03 (0 s) (+0100)
Data: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 23:45:09 -0800

--- Error ---
ACCOUNT_1.org [1000: IMAP] ['imap.easy-pc.org' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'webmail.gandi.net/roundcube' (465) SSL: 1] 

[consec: 1]
- Échec de connexion SSL (Le module SSL est-il chargé ?) (certificate failed: Specified server does not match 

hostname in certificate [hostname mismatch])
The SSL module is well activated

I tried with port 465, but still the same problem

--- Error ---
ACCOUNT_1.org [1000: IMAP] ['imap.easy-pc.org' (465) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'webmail.gandi.net/roundcube' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]
- Server unexpectedly disconnected
And also with SSL/TLS enabled

--- Error ---
ACCOUNT_1.org [1000: IMAP] ['imap.easy-pc.org' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'webmail.gandi.net/roundcube' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]
- Échec de connexion SSL (Le module SSL est-il chargé ?) (certificate failed: Specified server does not match hostname in certificate [hostname mismatch])
would you have a solution to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for the assistance you will be able to provide me

Sincerely
Last edited by Wullfk on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
"Experience is the name we give to our mistakes" ~ Oscar Wilde
spc3rd

Re: roundcube server with PopPeeper 4.5.2 no longer works

Post by spc3rd »

Hello Wullfk and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums!

(For what it is worth...your English seems fine to me)!

I have edited your topic to de-activate the link to an external email website, and also modified your actual email address as shown in the error messages included in your post. If this information is subsequently needed, we will request it be sent via Personal Message or email using the Esumsoft Support Contact Form.

This is for your security and privacy, and also to prevent harvesting by spambots.

Other members of The Esumsoft Team will be reviewing your topic & provide additional follow-up. In the interim, as you are our newest member, we ask that you please review the following Sticky:

Information for new users and forum members.

The article contains important information which all new members need to be aware of.

Also, please review the following Sticky:

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post.
(This is the preferred method for including/attaching PP error messages in forum posts).

Thank you and welcome aboard! :)
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Wullfk -- You most likely need to change the name of the server to that recommended by your provider. See the following FAQ for more information:
https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... memismatch

Also, in your first sample, you used port 465 -- this is a port for SMTP, not IMAP. The alternate port for IMAP is 143 (which can be used for either "No SSL" or "STARTTLS"). I don't recommend "No SSL." As a last resort, you can disable hostname matching as suggested by the FAQ (which will have the equivalent effect of pre-v4.5.2), which is at least better than disabling SSL entirely (if your host even accepts non-ssl connections).
Wullfk

Post by Wullfk »

Hello,

Sorry for my late answer, as I was not notified of it.
Since English is not my language, I will translate and analyze your two answers, and will do what is necessary to follow up on my problem.

Thank you for taking into account my problem
Wullfk

Post by Wullfk »

Re,

I use the right IMAP server in SSL/TLS on port 993 because on version 4.5.1 it works perfectly.

But if I apply the same configuration to version 4.5.2 it doesn't work anymore

And whatever the settings made I always get the following error: - Erreur ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.)

even if you set the exception in PPTweaker/certificates for the IMAP server used, but leave the verification of SSL certificates checked and disable hostname matching
Last edited by Wullfk on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thank you for posting back, Wullfk.

Jeff will be continuing his follow-up with you later. In the interim, if you are still having a problem receiving notifications from the Board/Forums of replies to topics, please review the following Sticky HERE, which may be of help.

If you continue to experience a problem afterward with notifications, please let us know.

Best regards.
Global Moderator
Wullfk

Post by Wullfk »

Hi,

OK I have done the necessary in my dashboard to receive the notifications well

Thank's
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Wullfk wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:35 am Erreur ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.)
This is a very different error than what you posted originally:
Wullfk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:50 am (certificate failed: Specified server does not match hostname in certificate [hostname mismatch])
The original error (hostname mismatch) has to do with the SSL connection, which occurs before logging in. The second error (authentication failed) means that it has now gotten past the SSL connection and has attempted to login. The reason I mention this is, at that point in the process, there should not be any difference between v4.5.1 and v4.5.2. Are you sure that you didn't change either the "login name" or "password" in any attempts you may have made to fix the original issue?

Further, are you saying that you have both v4.5.1 and v4.5.2 installed and v4.5.1 works and v4.5.2 does not (using the same config file)? Or are you saying that v4.5.1 *did* work, but *now* v4.5.2 does not.

I use the right IMAP server in SSL/TLS on port 993 because on version 4.5.1 it works perfectly.
To explain what's happening: in v4.5.1, "hostname matching" was not enabled by default. The SSL certificate that the server presents to the client (POP Peeper) will contain a specific hostname for which the SSL certificate is valid for. When "hostname matching" isn't enabled, the hostname in the SSL certificate does not have to match the hostname that you're trying to connect to; but in v4.5.2, they do. If you're using a shared webhost (e.g. "webhost-example.com") then their SSL certificate is not going to have your domain in their certificate, thus you get a mismatch and PP will error. More than likely, you need to use the server address for their common mail server (e.g. mail.webhost-example.com); this is very likely included in their documentation.
Wullfk

Post by Wullfk »

Hi,

Yes I am sure I haven't changed anything, since I only imported a backup of the existing Pop Peeper settings running on version 4.5.1
If I had modified anything, the problem would be easy to solve.

No, I never claimed that I had both versions installed on the same PC
I still have version 4.5.1 on another configuration.
I simply explained that everything works on 4.5.1, but this is not the case if I install 4.5.2

In version 4.5.2 even if I disable "hostname matching" it doesn't work

and as I already explained, if I uninstall version 4.5.2 and reinstall version 4.5.1 by returning the same configuration file, everything will work normally again

On the last point concerning "shared webhost" sorry but I understood absolutely nothing in your explanation
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi Wullfk,

As Jeff had mentioned this new more current error that you have referenced quote:
And whatever the settings made I always get the following error: - Erreur ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.)
has nothing to do with "hostname matching" issues hence not specific to your accounts protocol (server) settings but is presumably an account login issue.

I am curious if you are able to login to the Gandi.net website login page using the SAME password that you have setup in PP for your email account (I'm assuming this link is the website to access your email accounts messages on the web via a browser).

The reason I ask is because I was getting similar persistent "Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials)" errors at one point with an "ATT.net" email account domain that utilizes the Yahoo webmail interface. I eventually found out the problem I had was that the password used for ATT was not in sync with the password used to access Yahoo's Webmail interface that ATT uses to access messages on the web via Yahoo's servers. Due to this both ATT's and Yahoo's proper (correct) server settings failed to work producing this specific error in POP Peeper. When I discovered that the password that did work to login into ATT that was also supposed to be the same password for the ATT/Yahoo webmail login actually failed to work logging into the email account on the web I found that an ATT login password reset solved the problem by syncing the ATT login password to the ATT/Yahoo webmail password (who knows how/when they got out of sync #-o).

Since this resolved my persistent "AUTENTICATIONFAILED" error that I was getting I thought I'd mention this in case it might help. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Wullfk

Post by Wullfk »

Hi,

Good News
I finally found the origin of the problem, the error was indeed coming from my config file, the "User Name" in the account settings on PP was wrong
Now everything works on version 4.5.2

Thanks to the three of you for helping me solve my problem
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: roundcube server with PopPeeper 4.5.2 no longer works [resolved]

Post by Jeff »

Glad to hear it!