[Suggestion] Saving emails

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
JeanP

[Suggestion] Saving emails

Post by JeanP »

Hello,

I don't know if the subject has already been raised (I haven't found it).
It is only possible to save a message when it is open (menu - File - Save as) and in "eml" only.
When it is suspected that they are spams,their opening allows the sender to know that the messages are read by their recipient.
Can you consider
- to add this option on the right click of the (closed) messages.
- to allow to save them in other formats (for example msg, txt) in order to transmit them to a competent authority without going through a third-party program to convert them.

Thank you.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Saving emails

Post by Jeff »

There are a couple of ways to save an email from the message list:
1) Archive it (for which there are several methods including context menu and toolbar) -- this saves the message in a pre-determined location
2) Right-click: View -> View source; this opens the message in your text editor, which you can then save

I have been considering adding an explicit "save as" option to the context menu (or somewhere), but I'm on the fence about it because of the aforementioned alternatives and I'm not sure it's worth the clutter (although, questions like yours are why I'm considering it more).

As for the format --
Most competent authorities will want the original message source. By removing the headers and such, you are removing the most important parts of the email which they will use to file abuse claims. Do you have documentation from a certain agency that suggests otherwise?

For any agents that I've seen/used, you simply need to attach the original message. You can do this by using the "report spam" button in POP Peeper, or simply "forward as attachment."
JeanP

Post by JeanP »

Hello Jeff,
My suggestion follows an avalanche of spam in my wife's mailbox and our provider has an "abuse" page on it's site where we can only communicate gif-jpg-jpeg-png-txt and msg-files. He must still distinguish himself as I see ...
Thank you for the other recommandations !
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In that case, I would simply rename the .eml extension to .txt (no conversion necessary). .eml is an ascii (text) based format.
JeanP

Post by JeanP »

I did not know that Jeff.
I did the test and the result would be understandable to them?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I can't imagine it wouldn't be. The .eml format is not so much a special "format" as it is simply just the original message -- the contents of what you see in any .eml file (when opened in a text editor) is exactly the same format that the email client received the message in.
JeanP

Post by JeanP »

OK, thank you Jeff.