Edit Drop Down Context menu

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
keiser13

Edit Drop Down Context menu

Post by keiser13 »

I rarely archive anything but frequently hit archive in the context menu by mistake.
I don't see where the archive choice can be removed without finding a registry hack.
Have I overlooked an easy edit?
Thank you
spc3rd

Re: Edit Drop Down Context menu

Post by spc3rd »

Hello keiser13,

To my knowledge, options within the context menu cannot be removed (or added-in). Only the Toolbar buttons displayed across the top of the POP Peeper main interface are customizable in this regard.

Other members of The Esumsoft Team may have additional comments on this.

Best regards.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Out of curiosity, which item are you usually intending to press? The 2 items on either side of archive (mark-as-read and delete) can both be accessed in more convenient ways than the context menu -- there's a delete button just above the message list and both commands can be added to the toolbar (main menu: View / customize toolbar).
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

I intend to click on delete but often hit archive, just above delete.
Yes, I know I can delete with other means.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've been trying to come up with a practical solution, but I'm not sure there really is one. I could re-arrange the menu items so that "delete" is less likely to be accidentally clicked (and, therefore, more likely to be purposefully clicked). This could be done by either moving it so that the items on either side of it are either a separator or a pop-out menu; or it could be done by making it a pop-out menu itself (e.g. delete -> confirm). But I'm not sure that these are really practical for the original problem posted.

I took a look at some other clients:
Thunderbird -- pop-out / Delete / Separator
Gmail.com -- Archive / Delete / Mark as read
Outlook.com -- Separator / Delete / Archive

:-k

Ok, I have what I believe is a good compromise for your problem (e.g. a work-around) -- you can change the permissions of the folder to non-writable. You would need to do this for each accounts' "Archive" folder:
1) In PP, select an account and access the folder (Windows Explorer) by selecting main menu: View / Explore -> Archive folder
2) Go "up" a folder so that you can see the "Archive" folder
3) Using Windows Explorer: Right-click on the "Archive" folder and select "Properties"
4) Select the "Security" tab
5) Press "Edit"
6) Make sure "Authenticated Users" is selected on top (or whichever group is appropriate for your use-case)
7) In the bottom list, find "write" and tick the "deny" checkbox
8 ) Press OK
I would just use Windows explorer to navigate to any other Accounts' "Archive" folder instead of repeating from step #1. And, important, don't try to cut corners on the above instructions and write-protect a parent folder instead of each individual "archive" folder or you *will* run into issues.

Now, when you try to archive a message from that account, you'll get an error message.
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

Jeff,
The work around is the clever and best solution.
Thank you.