Excite account can't be updated

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bacardistuff

Excite account can't be updated

Post by bacardistuff »

I get this error: Error: Try again later. (-10 but when I try again later, I get the same error. I haven't changed anything with my excite account. Any ideas?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Excite account can't be updated

Post by Jeff »

Do you have the latest WebMail (v4.5.10):
https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... s/#WebMail
bacardistuff

Post by bacardistuff »

I hate updating but I guess I have to 'grin and bear it.' I'll give it a try and thanks!
bacardistuff

Post by bacardistuff »

I went to the help on the link but do not see the Auto-Update WebMail plugin or automatic update links under Search.
mjs

Post by mjs »

From the Main POP Peeper window menu:
1) Select (click on) "Help">"About POP Peeper...".
2) Then in the "About" window make sure you have the "Auto-Update Webmail plugin" option checked (under the "Check Version" button).
3) If this option is enabled (checked) then click on the "Check Version" button to see if the update is applied to your Webmail plugin.

When you can see "Webmail" in the "About" interface window is updated to version "4.5.10.0" then the problem with Excite should be fixed. :wink: (note: In some cases, it may be necessary to exit and restart POP Peeper after the update).

You can find additional detailed instructions on various methods of updating the Webmail plugin on this Webmail FAQ page.

Note: If the "Auto-Update Webmail plugin" option remains enabled (checked) then any future Webmail plugin updates should be automatically applied within 24 hours of any future plugin version releases.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

bacardistuff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 pm I hate updating but I guess I have to 'grin and bear it.' I'll give it a try and thanks!
Hi bacardistuff,

Yes, updates can be frustrating but unfortunately are unavoidably necessary.

You see, Email Providers will sometimes make changes to the way their protocols function (the process by which an Email Client accesses/processes the information contained in an email account). Because of this it is required that POP Peeper provide updates in order to continue to successfully interface with the Email Provider so that your messages can be successfully retrieved and sent.

In this specific case, Excite made recent changes that required an update to the POP Peeper Webmail plugin.

If you take a look at the instructions in the post above -- you should not have any problems updating the Webmail plugin (and the linked instructions above may be of additional help as well).

Keep in mind, if you keep the "Auto-Update Webmail plugin" option checked (enabled) in the "About" interface referenced in the post above then any future Webmail plugin updates should not be a problem for you as they will be "automatic" in this case. :wink:

Let us know if the plugin did get updated and of course do please feel free to get back to us if there are any further problems or questions. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
bacardistuff

Post by bacardistuff »

I now have version v4.5.2. Still receiving the same errors, please advise.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Not to repeat myself, but:
Do you have the latest WebMail (v4.5.10):
https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... s/#WebMail

WebMail updates can occur more often than the main program updates, and sometimes the version info gets confused and doesn't think that you need the webmail update when you actually do; I've never been able to duplicate that issue myself, but I've overhauled it for v5 so [-o<
mjs

Post by mjs »

Did you reboot your computer after the update -- also the version you referenced is not the current Webmail "4.5.10.0" release? You can check this by going to "Help">"About POP Peeper...".

Also as you probably already know - whenever you get errors in POP Peeper it is always best to provide us (Esumsoft Team) with the overall Error Overview information (see below for steps to do this). Doing this gives us additional information that can be of help in determining what may be causing problems (including any information that may also be helpful regarding the webmail plugin as well as other helpful information).

Steps to post "Error Overview" info (REFER TO "*" comment BELOW for more DETAILS):
1) Click on the yellow icon with exclamation in lower right corner of PP interface.
2) Click the "Copy" button (saving the error message to clipboard).
3) Past the error message to this topic.

NOTE: Please make sure your actual email account name does not display when you post this information by changing it to "XXXX" for example.

*For more details on posting this information please refer to this forum POST by spc3rd in a topic on the subject. :wink:
bacardistuff

Post by bacardistuff »

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.2.0
Webmail: 4.5.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Excite [6: Excite] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [WebSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [consec: 7]
- Error: Try again later. (-10)

I'll update and turn off the computer again.
bacardistuff

Post by bacardistuff »

well, I followed the link to here: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... s/#WebMail. I then push on the link for webmail. I am then taken here: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... atewebmail. I then go to About POP Peeper under the Help menu. Another box opens up. I have uploaded a screen shot.

now since both the automatic and enable boxes are clicked. I then wonder what I should do with said boxes so I go back : https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... atewebmail and to repeat someone else, I hate to repeat myself but I’m thinking there are no directions on : https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... atewebmail to address the already check marked boxes.
posted info edited for privacy.png
Last edited by mjs on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Post edited: for privacy reasons the screen-shot has had email addresses redacted from the image
mjs

Post by mjs »

You still do not have the most current Webmail release.

Did you do what I posted HERE in this topic?

If you look HERE -- you can see that v4.5.10 (Mar 29, 2019) was to help with Excite regarding a new login screen (error -10)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Have you done a reboot of your computer?

After the reboot ---- did you click on the "Check Version" button (circled in red)? -- see screen-shot:
Check Version button.png
after which you should then get the Webmail version updated as pointed out.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I just want to point out that a reboot of your computer should not be necessary as far as POP Peeper is concerned (except when the "have you tried turning it off and on again" adage applies). However, you may need to exit and restart POP Peeper.

In the installation instructions, there are instructions to perform a "manual" update which you need to do if the automatic update doesn't work (that's what I was alluding to in my previous post)
bacardistuff

Post by bacardistuff »

I’ll begin again. I follow the HERE link to here: viewtopic.php?f=3&p=36852#p36844. I then go to: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... s/#WebMail (show pic here) where I recognize I’ve been at before and by the prior post, we know where that is going. I go back to check the version. Interestingly, the same about box shows up that showed up before. And I’m thinking… gosh, do I really need to take another screen of that?

then I click on download and go here: https://www.esumsoft.com/download/?prod ... st=4.5.0.0

which I have been too before but I digress. I click on yes for the webmail update and I’m taken here: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... s/#WebMail which looks familiar and I’m starting to wonder why I’m going to all of these links. Show pic here:

and what do you know… I’m right back to where I was before: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... atewebmail. So I go back to the about box and yes, both boxes are checked and thus enabled. I then wonder do I really want to do a manual after all the fun I’ve had following these links? Sure! I click on download the plugin and I’m taken to this link: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... s/#WebMail Nothing is downloaded… just a link I’ve seen before which I believe was 'ALLUDED' to before?
screen-shot edited for privacy.png
save2.png
Last edited by mjs on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post edited: for the protection of privacy the top (first) screen-shot has had references to persons in the image redacted
bacardistuff

Post by bacardistuff »

I click on download the plugin and I’m taken to this link: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... s/#WebMail Nothing is downloaded… just a link I’ve seen before. I close down pop peeper. I am currently attempting to find the extraction file.
mjs

Post by mjs »

bacardistuff wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:17 pm I click on download the plugin and I’m taken to this link: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... s/#WebMail Nothing is downloaded… just a link I’ve seen before. I close down pop peeper. I am currently attempting to find the extraction file.
The link you have here is the plugin download page (alternate "manual" update method):
linked alternate update method w-instruction link on page.png
Note: the "Webmail (zip)" is the download method that the "Installation instructions" is referring to (referenced later in this post SEE BELOW)

IMPORTANT: YOU SHOULD EXIT POP PEEPER (PP process should not be running) BEFORE GOING FURTHER TO REPLACE THE OLD WEBMAIL PLUGIN WITH THE NEW WEBMAIL PLUGIN.

If you click on "Webmail (zip)" you will initiate the zipped plugin download and get the following:
Save File step-1.png
When you "save" the file you should get a dialogue box asking where you want to save the file (where you can select the location where the file will be saved). If you are not familiar with saving the file -- the easiest approach will probably be to save the file to your desktop (or you may save it anywhere you like but you must be able to find it later to extract the plugin and move it to POP Peeper to replace the old Webmail plugin). In this example of the dialogue box I have selected the Desktop (to make finding the file easy). Example saving file to desktop:
save zip file to desktop.png
You will now find the zipped file on your desktop:
zipped file on desktop.png
zipped file on desktop.png (104.51 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
If you double-click this folder (above) you should get this (below):
double-click zipped folder to get this.png
If not you can extract the zipped file by right-clicking on the zipped folder and select "extract all" to get this:
right-click on file and select extract all.png
and then click on the "Extract" button.

In any case you should end up with this dialogue box in the end where you can move the new Webmail Plugin to POP Peeper to replace the old Webmail Plugin in this example screen-shot of a "normal PP" installation (see more details below regarding this):
Click on screen-shot to enlarge -- click on browser back-page to return to forum.
Click on screen-shot to enlarge -- click on browser back-page to return to forum.
Reply to Windows prompts to replace (overwrite) the old plugin with the new plugin (click on screen-shot to enlarge if necessary for improved readability).

Getting back to the INSTRUCTIONS (mentioned in the beginning) -- if you click on the "Installation instructions" link on the same download page (posted above) you have linked in your post I'm replying to here:
instructions link.png
instructions link.png (8.95 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
... You will then get the instructions we have ALL COMPLETED above:
manual update instructions.png
--- RESTART POP PEEPER -- you should now have the new Webmail plugin installed. :wink: (if you want, you can remove the zip folder on your desktop at this time)

Some additional information that may be of help to you -- Here is more detail on where the new Webmail plugin should go (be moved to) assuming you have a "standard" installed POP Peeper:
and finally -- the reason you are required to use the more difficult "manual" method of installing the Webmail Plugin (instead of the easier "automatic" method) is because for some reason you get the new version (update) in the blue color in your "About" POP Peeper interface window (see your screen-shots you posted when attempting the "automated" update method) which as you see below the "automated" method cannot be used when the update is in "blue" thus the "manual" method is required in your case:
Blue update color code.png
I'm not sure why you get this result (the new Webmail plugin in the "blue" color) in the "About" page (in "Help">"About POP Peeper...") since you actually are using the "Webmail" protocol for your Excite Service (which is required for Excite actually) and as such the update SHOULD actually "affect" you --- therefore it seems to me the much easier "automatic" including "Check version" button update methods should work in your case contrary to the result you get in the "About" window (which is something other members of the Esumsoft Team would perhaps know more about than me as to why.... I was frankly hoping a computer reboot [that includes a PP restart] would have possibly addressed this issue in order to alleviate the need for the more complicated "manual" update #-o).

I hope this helps --- do please post any comments/questions in the event you have any problems or questions regarding any of the above and let us know if it worked out for you this time.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The "installation instruction (manual)" faq wasn't updated after the exe installer was made available, so I can understand some confusion from that. I've just now updated the first step so that it does mention the exe/zip methods:
1. Download the WebMail plugin - Most people will find using the "exe" installer easier (be sure to tick the checkbox for "WebMail" on the 'Choose components' page); the remaining instructions are for the "zip" installation.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

And, in case another method is needed, this *should* fix the problem with auto-update not working:
1) Find where POP Peeper is storing data (main menu: Tools / Options / Storage -- refer to the "data path") and open this folder in Windows Explorer (recommend to copy/paste from PP into the Windows Explorer address bar)
2) Exit POP Peeper
3) In Windows Explorer (step #1), delete the file named PPInfo.txt
4) Restart POP Peeper
5) Go to Help / About and press "Check version" (this may not even be necessary as it's likely that PP will perform this automatically)

I say "should fix" because, as I stated previously, I've not been able to duplicate the problem, so there may be other factors involved that I'm not aware of; but deleting this file basically resets the the version information that PP has cached.