Mail Check

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

Mail Check

Post by bbqbrisket »

Hi,
My mail check is set to "Polling" every 10 minutes.
But selecting "Check mail" "on command" does not work.
Is it not suppose to work "on command"?
Thanks
Last edited by spc3rd on Mon May 20, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from Translations sub-forum to POP Peeper.
spc3rd

Re: Mail Check

Post by spc3rd »

Hi bbqbrisket,

Is the issue you are having now similar to the one you inquired about in THIS POST from February 2018 to which lakrsrool and Jeff provided responses?

If so, please review the info they provided at that time to see if it addresses the current issue you're reporting. If the problem is different, please let us know more specifics, including how you are accessing the affected accounts (e.g., IMAP, POP3, Webmail, etc)..

Thank you & best regards.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Due to this not being just a "question" but rather "frequently asked", I've added the following:
https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... NotWorking

Let us know if the explanation isn't clear or if you don't think this is the problem.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Hi,
No, I really don't remember that February post unless I didn't know how to change the polling time; which I do now.
I think this is different.
Manually, I have tried to right click on the PP icon in the tray and select "check mail". I have also tried to select "check mail" on the main screen of PP after opening it up and then finally I have tried to select "check mail" from the "file" tab at the top of the main PP screen.
This doesn't happen all the time. Usually, the only time I attempt to "check mail" manually is when I know someone is sending me an email and I want it sooner than the polling time selected.
thanks
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket - Does THIS post by Jeff in the topic that spc3rd linked to above help with your questions?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Please read the faq I posted above -- it should answer your question. The 3 methods that you mentioned are effectively all the same and will skip accounts in the IDLE state as explained in the FAQ.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Ok....I get it now. Selecting "check mail" on individual accounts does the trick.
thanks to all the contributors.

ONe other question?
(and I have inquired before but no resolution)
Checking Notify me when a reply is posted.
I do not get notification of the replies to my posting.

Any further help with that????
thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I know that I and spc3rd have checked on the reply notifications on multiple occasions and we've never had a problem with it. spc3rd did a write-up here that you should check out:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6796

I know that you had posted this in the wrong forum originally and it was moved here, so that *may* be why you're not getting notifications in this case.

I'll turn on the notification for myself on this message so if you (or anyone) replies, I'll let you know if I get the notification or not.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Attached is how my Notification Preferences had already been set.
I had no "Subscriptions" before but have not added them; including this one.
Can you reply to see if I get a notification now?
thanks
Attachments
notification preferences.JPG
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Morning bbqbrisket,

Here's a reply for you to see if you receive a notification from the Board here.

Also, there is another option for receiving notifications of posts/replies made here, by adding the Forum RSS Feed account to your POP Peeper program. However, I believe it will notify you of ALL posts/replies that are made in the Forums, not just a single topic you subscribe to.

Instructions for how to add the RSS Feed to PP are shown HERE.

Jeff should be dropping by later to continue his follow-up with you.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Global Moderator
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Hi,
I did NOT get the "notification" for your Reply post, I had to log in.
Also, it does not save my login even though I check it off.

JUst a side not, the check mark is always set to "notify me when a reply is posted. I do not have to manually check it.
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket - Do you happen to have a browser extension that removes (clears at some point) cookies? If so you should make sure that you have esumsoft.com cookies "white-listed" in this extension. Not retaining cookies will cancel your login "Remember me" option check mark selection (so that you would not stay logged-in if esumsoft.com cookies are not retained).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I can confirm that I did get the reply notification via email when you replied (fwiw, the email came about 9 minutes after your reply).
bbqbrisket wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:28 am I had no "Subscriptions" before but have not added them; including this one.
This would likely be the problem. The screenshot that you shared only describes what will happen if someone replies to a message thread that you're subscribed to, but that doesn't mean that you're subscribed to any message threads (which is part #2 in spc3rd's email notification FAQ). Here's a screenshot of mine, which shows that I am subscribed to this topic:
PP_Forum_Subscription.png

Also, I have no problem staying logged into the forum; it sounds like you have a cookie-related issue in your browser like lakrsrool suggests.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

So, attached is a Subscription I have checked off.
I did this before when you first mentioned it but did not take a shot and send to you.
I now see that none of the Subscriptions I checked off were checked the next time I went into it; like now.
So I just checked off only the one that we are not trading messages back and forth.

Let me know a little about the cookies your talking about and what I should check for. I am using Firefox.
thanks
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Sorry forgot to attach the Subscrip list before.
When I went back in to check on the list just now, the check mark was gone.
Attachments
subscription pp.JPG
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:26 am ... Let me know a little about the cookies your talking about and what I should check for. I am using Firefox.
thanks
1) Here is the native cookie handling instructions for Firefox off of their support page: Enable and disable cookies that websites use to track your preferences, Notice that comment "Cookies are enabled by default in Firefox." - so I would presume that there should not be a problem unless a change in your browser settings has been made.
2) Here is a web page that covers cookie extensions for Firefox: Enhance Firefox Cookie Management with these add-ons... If you do not have any cookie extensions that have been added to your browser then you do not need to be concerned about the cookie extensions but just make sure that your browsers native cookie settings are allowing the esumsoft.com website cookies (this is in regards to your login status remaining logged-in that you are having problems with).
Note: It is possible there other things that could potentially impact website behavior including other security type browser extensions that are not covered here. Other members of the Esumsoft Team may have additional comments on this topic.

I hope this doesn't confuse things because I do not use Firefox myself so these screen-shots will likely look different in your case because my browser release is pre-57 but hopefully it will give you an idea about the browsers native cookie management (which should not have changed much - if you follow the instructions in my first linked page regarding Firefox cookie settings you should be OK). First you want to make sure you are "accepting cookies" (see circled option):
Click on screen-shot to enlarge for better viewing - to return to forum click browser back-arrow
Click on screen-shot to enlarge for better viewing - to return to forum click browser back-arrow
... and beyond that that you are not blocking "esumsoft.com" in your "Exceptions" list (pointed out above):
Notice I have "esumsoft.com" set to "Allow" cookies (in my cookie Exceptions List that you will get by clicking on the "Exceptions" button illustrated in the first screen-shot).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Regarding subscriptions:
The "mark" isn't designed to stay checked when you look at it the next time. The very fact that those topics are in the subscription list means that you will get a notification when it's replied to. The "mark" just allows you to "mark" one more more topics so that you can click the "unwatch marked" button below the list.

So it looks like everything is setup correctly so what I propose now as the most likely explanation is that the notifications are being sent to your spam folder... Actually, I just looked at your email address -- that ISP hasn't existed for a very long time (9 years), are you sure you're using a valid email address on the forum?