Extract address book from backup

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gitty1

Extract address book from backup

Post by gitty1 »

Hi,
Hope all is well.

I recently managed to break my computer and to cut a long story short am now trying Linux Mint.
Unfortunately PP didn't work very well on either of the emulators I tried and for that I am truly truly upset.

Is there a way to extract my address book out of one of the zipped backups I made using pptweaker.

Please say yes.......
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Extract address book from backup

Post by Jeff »

Yes, the filename is:
addrbook.inx

Its exact location would depend on how you have POP Peeper setup, but the most likely location (after opening the zip file) is immediately under the 'AppData' folder. But be sure to check the timestamp and see if it's the most likely up-to-date file.

Linux:
I don't know how many other emulators there are, but last I checked, WINE does a decent (but not perfect) job at running POP Peeper. Unfortunately, I do believe that any calls using https will most likely fail, which means that any accounts that require OAuth2 won't work. The best solution for that is to disable that requirement in your account (ie. be it gmail.com or yahoo.com) and then just use the password method in POP Peeper.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Yes, I found those files but can't open either the csx or inx files. I tried renaming to csv and ini but still didn't work - just get a load of gobbledygook.

Re- cancelling OAuth - haha - just got it working in new system on mint also - only taken a year or so.
Tried running pp but kept on resetting itself and a few weird errors (that are completely not down to pp but down to linux/wine and my fumbling with it)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The address book file is encrypted because it contains sensitive data. It can be exported to csv via PP's address book (open address book; File / export). btw, the csx file is old; I don't remember which version made the change to the .inx format (maybe v4.0), but your csx file is most likely going to be older than your inx file.

You got OAuth2 working under wine...? Some people might be interested in that if you'd be willing to document and share it (email me if you're willing to consider that). But I'm curious what other problems you've run into as well.
gitty1

Post by gitty1 »

Hi Jeff,
I didn't get pp working properly under Wine.

The problems I had with pp/Wine were the address book wasn't ported and each time I rebooted I had to restore the settings from the backup - it didn't save the settings.
So - I gave up on it and spent hours getting tbird to look like pp. That was when the OAuth worked.
The OAuth also worked but on a different computer (Win) so that is my other post.

So - I can get my address book through another installation of windows. That will do it.
Sorry about getting your hopes up with wine/pp though. Would've loved to have been of assistance.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I just performed the following test:
1) I installed WINE and PP v4.5.2 on a linux mint system that didn't previously have wine installed
2) I added an account and added an entry into the address book
3) Exited PP
4) Restarted PP
-> The account and address book entry were still listed

5) Exited PP
6) Copied addrbook.inx from my Windows PC to the appropriate location on the Mint system
7) Restart PP
-> All the addresses from my windows PC were listed

My guess is that you have a permissions issue; perhaps the folder/files are set to read-only. I would recommend doing what I did above, ie. delete your current POP Peeper program files and data folders and re-install PP; then just make sure that it's able to save basic data; then transfer your old files. That will give you a better clue as to where the problem is.