Suggestion for Pop Peeper...

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
GoneToPlaid

Suggestion for Pop Peeper...

Post by GoneToPlaid »

I have been using Pop Peeper for years. It is the best program to use if one has several email accounts and if one wants periodically check all them for new emails. Absolutely nothing works faster or better for this if one configures Pop Peeper to only download the message headers.

I just upgraded to the latest version of Pop Peeper. Nice! Virtually all of my settings were preserved. I merely had to turn back "on" one or two settings, which was quick and easy to do.

I have a suggestion...

I see that Pop Peeper now performs CRC-32 checks on itself and on the plugins. That is nice for verifying that no files are corrupted, yet isn't good enough in terms of making sure that the files have not been maliciously altered. It would be nice if, in addition to the CRC-32 checks, MD5 checks were also added. Why? Because it is impossible to alter a file in any way such that BOTH CRC-32 checks and MD5 checks will produce the expected results. One or the other will differ if any tampering of any file has occurred. Just a thought for what it is worth.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Suggestion for Pop Peeper...

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper doesn't actually use crc-32; it just uses the nomenclature for brevity. It uses the digital signature in the code signing/digital certificate to verify the status.