HTML Zoom Error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mdv921

HTML Zoom Error

Post by mdv921 »

Suddenly I'm getting an error (red X - no explanation of the error) when I click on HTML zoom settings. I found some posts from a few years back about HTML zoom issues but nothing there helped me.

I've tried everything I know of, including uninstalling and reinstalling PP, to no avail.

Any ideas of anything else I can try?

Thanks!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: HTML Zoom Error

Post by Jeff »

What Windows OS and what version of IE are you using (if not Win10)?

If you set the zoom, does it retain the zoom the next time you open another html message, or does it return to the default?
What is your default zoom in which it (apparently?) works at?

If it was working before, can you think of any system/IE-related changes that may have occurred since then? e.g. Windows updates or installation/updates to any security-related software.

Have you tried rebooting your computer?

Does the problem affect ALL html messages or just certain ones?

If you open Internet Explorer (specifically IE, not a different browser) on your computer and visit a web site, are you able to use the zoom commands?
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

Windows 10 x64

When the default view method is set to HTML the zoom settings don't even display. I just get the error box. If I change the default to Rich Text and click on HTML Zoom all the zoom sizes will show up but they're all greyed out and I'm unable to select any of them.

I never use IE but I checked it and I am unable to use zoom at all on that browser. When I click on the IE settings cog the zoom level is greyed out and when I attempt to zoom in/out with the ctrl key and the wheel mouse zooming doesn't work.

The only changes to my system have been the usual Windows updates.

I have rebooted my computer multiple times. This has been going on for weeks. I am just now out of options as I've tried everything I can think of.

The problem affects all HTML messages. When I'm using rich text and I press the ctrl key and roll the mouse wheel the zoom works fine.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It sounds like your zoom has been disabled. I looked up how to do this, and when I applied it to my own system, I got the same results that you've described. Side-note: the textless error box appears as soon as I hover the mouse over Options / HTML zoom and the popout-menu doesn't appear; this doesn't contradict what you wrote, it's just not what I expected so I'm clarifying for future reference.

There seems to be different ways to achieve this behavior. If you intentionally did this or if you can think of a utility which may have changed this setting, going back and reversing that change would be the best option. Otherwise, here's a website that details the ways it can be changed:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8 ... sable.html

Bear in mind that because there are several methods, if you try to set one of the options, it may or may not override the current option that has disabled zoom (e.g. 'current user' generally overrides 'all users').
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

Thanks for the info! I'll try the .reg file fix as soon as I get home.

And yes, I should have said the error box pops up when I hover over "HTML Zoom".
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

BINGO! Just downloaded the .reg file from the link you provided, ran it and presto HTML zoom has returned to PopPeeper.

Still can't fathom how zoom would have gotten disabled on IE since I have never once used that browser on this computer. I guess you're probably right in that some other app disabled it without my knowledge.

But thanks a million for the help!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad to hear that worked!

It's kind of an odd feature, to disable zoom. I could understand that someone might want to disable zooming with the mouse wheel (e.g. so that they could have ctrl+wheel change the system volume or something without accidentally zooming), but why not just provide a way to disabling wheel-zooming instead of zooming entirely. Strange :-?

:idea: ahhhh.... I found a webpage that mentioned it would be useful for touchscreen kiosks.