OAUTH2 Button Missing On Old Account

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
temuskoff

OAUTH2 Button Missing On Old Account

Post by temuskoff »

I decided to try to convert an existing Yahoo account to OAUTH2 in PP 4.5.3 today.

When I edit the existing account, the OAUTH2 button is not shown.
PP Yahoo.jpg

When I start to create a new PP account the OAUTH2 button is shown.

Is this working as designed?

If I want to use OAUTH2 on an existing account do I have to delete it and re-create it in PP?

Thanks,
Terry
mjs

Re: OAUTH2 Button Missing On Old Account

Post by mjs »

You didn't have the OAuth2 button in your (screen-shot) example because you were using POP3 for that account. The OAuth2 button only works with IMAP. When you created the new account you must have used the default IMAP protocol settings that PP assigns to new accounts which is why the OAuth2 button was available for the newly created account. You are free to change any currently existing accounts protocol (Server setting) to what ever you like and in the case of IMAP the OAuth2 button will be available for any type of accounts that provide this 3rd-party authorization mechanism.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
temuskoff

Post by temuskoff »

Thank you for the explanation.
I did not realize that OAUTH2 required IMAP access.

Terry
mjs

Post by mjs »

You're very welcome Terry.

The IMAP protocol is the recommended method to access email (which is why this is the default setup in many cases when adding new PP accounts) and utilizing OAuth2 is recommended when using IMAP.

The IMAP settings are applied automatically when adding a new PP account however for a reference; here is information on the Yahoo IMAP settings which includes a link that discusses the use of OAuth2 for Yahoo accounts.

Also here is a link I found on the subject of What is IMAP and what are its specific advantages over POP3? ... in case you're interested. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers