64bit Mac Catalina problematic for Crossover

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Ambimom

64bit Mac Catalina problematic for Crossover

Post by Ambimom »

I've been using Pop Peeper pro for years now. It suits me perfectly, which is why when I switched from Windows to Mac a couple of years ago, I was delighted to find Crossover allowed me to keep it running. Now that Catalina rejects all 32 bit programs, Pop Peeper is lost to me even though I have installed the 64bit latest. CodeWeavers is working hard to overcome this, but there's months of work, possibly years before it will work.

Is there no possibility that a Mac version of PopPeeper be developed? It is such a useful program.

In the meantime, I am not going to upgrade my system to Catalina primarily because I don't want to lose Pop Peeper!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: 64bit Mac Catalina problematic for Crossover

Post by Jeff »

I'm aware of the MacOS issue; my plan is to start looking into a x64 version of POP Peeper after v5 is released. Hopefully that version will work with the x64 requirements of the MacOS with CrossOver.

In the meantime -- and I'm not a Mac guy nor an x64 expert, so I don't know if this would work or not -- have you considered running a Virtual Machine (e.g. VirtualBox) on Mac that runs a Windows guest OS? Then you can install POP Peeper and any other Windows programs in the Windows guest. It's probably not as convenient, but it should be able to get the job done. Again, I'm not 100% positive it would work, but I'm sure someone has tried it and posted their results somewhere on the internet.
Ambimom

Post by Ambimom »

Thanks Jeff. I knew you would be on top of it. As for virtual machine, that makes sense if I had a Windows operating system disk to install on it. I don't. The beauty of Crossover is that I don't have to invest in buying Microsoft Windows installation.

I looked into Parallels, VM Virtual, etc. They all require a Windows install disk.

Am I missing something?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You said that you had switched from Windows to Mac, so it's possible that you may still be able to use your Windows license (it may depend on what type of license you had, ie. OEM or retail). And if it qualifies, you may even still be able to update that license to Win10 for free (so I hear).

But here's another alternative -- instead of installing a Windows guest, you could install a Linux guest and then use WINE to run POP Peeper.
Ambimom

Post by Ambimom »

Hmmm, I'm definitely going to look into that. If it works, I'll let you know.
Ambimom

Post by Ambimom »

Did a bit of research. Apparently Virtual Box guest systems load all right, but then crash on Catalina. It's still buggy. They're not yet compatible. So the Linux option isn't feasible...yet. I'm sure it will be eventually. But then so will the CodeWeavers Crossover -- eventually. At the moment I'm not upgrading to Catalina. I'm sticking with Mojave and thankfully my Crossover loads PopPeeper just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion though.