Disable message preview

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
w64bit

Disable message preview

Post by w64bit »

Is there any way to disable the preview of messages in PopPeeper.
I want this because if I preview a Gmail message in PopPeeper, it cannot be downloaded anymore.
mjs

Re: Disable message preview

Post by mjs »

Can you please explain in more detail what you mean by a "preview of messages" and what you specifically mean by a "download"?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
w64bit

Post by w64bit »

Sorry, I want to disable retrieve entire message.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Perhaps the "Message Retrieval" options are what your are looking for located in the PP main menu at "Tools" > "Options" > "Message Retrieval".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Based on your first post, it sounds like you're trying to address the wrong solution. I'm guessing that you have POP Peeper set to use POP3 for accessing your Gmail accounts, which is why you're having the problem you are -- Gmail treats POP3 access unlike most other email servers. There are some solutions which may or may not work by editing your account (the problem is that they'll affect other email clients you use, too, especially if you use another client to permanently store your email); but the best solution is to use IMAP instead of POP3. IMAP won't remove your messages from Gmail, won't affect your POP3 clients, and you'll get other benefits, too (Imap is much better suited for notification than POP3).

Just edit your account and change the "server type" to IMAP and then press the "Oauth2" button and follow the instructions.

btw, just in case you really do want to disable message preview; you can do that just for your gmail account(s) by:
1) Enable "Advanced options" under main menu: Tools / Optioins / General
2) Edit your Gmail account in POP Peeper
3) Select the "Advanced" page
4) Change the "Retrieval option"

Edit: Normally, if you have just the header, POP Peeper will try to retrieve the message when you view the message header (note: neither "header" nor "preview" will trigger Gmail's abnormal POP3 method, so either one will work). You can change this (ie. disable automatic download when you view the header):
main menu: Tools / PPtweaker; 'Misc' page:
Disable: "automatically retrieve the message when I view the header"
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added info about not automatically retrieving from header
w64bit

Post by w64bit »

Thank you very much.
For a good answer you have to ask the good question :)