Working with archive

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
tikhom

Working with archive

Post by tikhom »

Hello. I keep using Pop Peeper Pro for a long time. It allows me to keep my on-line e-mail boxes slim and comfortable. When I need to clean my on-line box I use an embedded archive utility and keep old messages on hard drive or another secure place, just for history)). Can I navigate e-mail archives the same way as those at on-line boxes? I mean sorting, viewing, etc. - a kind of a virtual box . Or should I use 3-d party eml-viewers only? Could be great to have an embedded feature. Regards!
mjs

Re: Working with archive

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum tikhom,

As our newest forum member you may find the following Sticky helpful: Information for new users and forum members.The article provides important information which all new forum members should be aware of.

On the subject of message archiving -- PP does have an archive feature that can be accessed from the main menu under "View" > "Mailbox" and "Explore". Also from the main menu doing a "Help" > "Contents" and using the "Search" tab to enter "archive" as the "keyword" will provide additional helpful information on the subject of archiving messages for each PP email account. The archived messages are saved in your PP data folders for each account in a standard (.eml) format that most email clients are capable of viewing.

You can easily archive messages for each PP account by doing a right-click on any account in your account list and select "Archive messages" (see "Note" below). Also messages can be archived individually or as a group by doing a right-click on selected messages in the PP In-Box and selecting "archive" from the context menu. Again, doing either method of archiving messages will save each of the archived messages in the .eml format previously mentioned. (Keep in mind that this format is not intended to be viewed with a text editor however).

Please Note: If "Archive messages" is not displayed then from the main menu do the following:
select: "Tools" > "Options" and then on the "General" page, enable (check) "Advanced options" (top-right).

Also, depending upon what you want, this forum topic may be of some help: SAVING mssgs locally. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The View/Explore method will open a File Explorer to the selected folder, so this will just be a list of files that you've archived. If you have the Plus Pack, then you can use View/Mailbox and this will use Sent Mail Viewer (it handles more than just your 'Sent' messages) which uses an interface similar to POP Peeper to display your messages, including the capability to search and move messages into sub-folders.

However, SMV expects messages to be in pre-defined folders, and it doesn't allow you to navigate to a different folder, which it sounds like what you have. If the messages that you've archived are in the standard .eml format, then you could copy/move the messages to where SMV would expect them and it would work. OR, it's possible that you could create a symbolic link to the folder and POP Peeper would be able to access those other files -- this isn't something that I have tried, and I'm not able to test it at this moment, but it's probably worth a try.
tikhom

Post by tikhom »

Thanks a lot to big gurus for tapping me replies. Should work for me.
Regards, reverences and congrats for Xmas and N2020Y!!