Mail check has slowed to a crawl

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
BDinger3

Mail check has slowed to a crawl

Post by BDinger3 »

This is my second attempt to post this subject. I didn't see the first one so I'm posting again.

Not sure if something needs to be cleaned out or what the problem is. It's been going on for one to two months. My version is Pop Peeper Pro 4.5.3

Thanks,
spc3rd

Re: Mail check has slowed to a crawl

Post by spc3rd »

Hello BDinger3,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having. We need a bit more information about what is occurring. Three questions for you:

1. Are you still using a VPN?

2. Is this problem similar to the one you reported in the following topic from August 2017?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6930&p=34973#top

3. What operating system are you using?

Other members of The Esumsoft Team will likely stop by later to further review the problem you are reporting and provide additional feedback.

Thank you and best regards.
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you have not done a reboot of your computer recently try doing a reboot to see if this helps.

While waiting for further help, do a right-click on an empty space (not always easy to find that empty space :wink:) in your PP main window accounts list pane which should produce a list of options similar to this:
To get Server info ALL info.png
To get Server info ALL info.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
You will not get some of the options but the one we are interested in would be the "Server info (all)..." data. Keep in mind, if you don't right-click in an empty space the data will only apply to the account that gets selected and will not include the "(all)" reference in regards to the "Server Info" which is what we need --- so be sure that you get the "Server info (all)..." option listed in the list of right-click options. When you do then select (click on) the "Server info (all)..." option (which will generate the Server Info data for ALL accounts). Make sure what you get includes what is pointed out in this screen-shot below:
Server info for all accounts.png
Server info for all accounts.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
Then copy that data (select the data inside the box, then right-click the selected data and "Copy") and post the copied data into this topic in your reply (right-click "Paste").

One last thing, from the main PP menu go to "File">"Error overview..." and click on the "Copy Log" button (you will get a dialogue box, click "OK") then paste (right-click "Paste") this info in your reply in this topic as well (this will provide us with information that may be helpful to us).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

Re: Pete - I went through all the exercises from 2017 and we'll see if that does the trick. I am using Windows 10 now instead of Win 7.

Re: laksrool - I am unable to find "server info (all)" as a choice no matter where I right click and I've tried pretty much tried everywhere.
As far as error info, here is that -

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.3.0
Webmail: 4.5.11.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.2.0
SendMail: 4.5.2.0
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0

--- Error ---
(none)

Therefore, not showing any errors.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Perhaps that option I mentioned for the right-click accounts pane context menu only applies to version 5 -- if so, sorry about that. :oops:

Let us know if anything Jeff mentioned turns out to be of help in the topic that Pete pointed out to you.

I presume you have done a reboot of your computer recently.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

Yes, I think I'm going to give the refresh of the fixes from 2017 a chance to work. At some point, I might want to activate the DNS and URI again. It could be all those flushes and resets from the command prompt did some good. It's working pretty fast now but then there's not much mail that has accumulated.

Thanks all for your suggestions,

Bill Dinger
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The "Server info" option is only available if you've enabled "Advanced options" under main menu: Tools / Options / General.

I did a quick scan of the previous thread and I didn't see this mentioned, so I apologize if I'm repeating myself -- I've made some changes in v5 that should significantly improve the performance of AntiJunk when retrieving a lot of messages. In general, it's not a noticeable problem when POP Peeper is up to date with your messages and it only needs to retrieve a handful of new messages at a time.

The relevant changes in v5:
1) Multiple messages can be processed simultaneously. In v4, only a single thread was used to process messages which can cause the queue to backup when retrieving a lot of messages.

2) There's now a timeout of 5 seconds for the DNS/URI- Blacklists. The previous timeout was computer-dependent, but it was generally in the 30-60 second range. As I believe I mentioned in the other thread, these types of lookups should be nearly instantaneous (in the milliseconds) in most cases, but depending on the DNS server, the lookups could take a while and the new timeout will mitigate that.
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

I activated the advanced options and here is what it said:

[All accounts]

Server size: 0 KB
Mem size: 0 KB
File size: 0 KB

Last DB Maint (global): 12/07/19 10:47:55 (56 days)

So I don't know if maintenance needs to be done or what. On the website, it doesn't mention anything about a V5. The latest seems to be what I've got - 4.5.3.

As I mentioned before, after performing the exercises from 2017, things have speeded up quite a bit but still haven't checked a bunch of messages at once so we'll have to see what happens then.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

BDinger3 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:42 pm So I don't know if maintenance needs to be done or what.
The default is every 90 days. It's possible that you have a fragmented database; deleting messages will cause that (ie. a database that never deletes entries will be less fragmented than a database that deletes all entries). This wouldn't be my first guess, though; but if you want to force it, go to Tools / Options / Storage and tick the box for "force compact on next start" and then exit/restart PP (if you don't see that option, go to the "General" page and enable "advanced options").

v5 hasn't been released yet, I was just letting you know of what will be available; especially if disabling dns/uriBL seems to help -- then you might want to try re-enabling them with v5.
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

Okay, thanks for additional info. Steps taken so far have made a big difference. I think we can close this topic down for now.