severe lockups when using POP Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
trlgoz

Re: severe lockups when using POP Peeper

Post by trlgoz »

Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:27 pm I wouldn't ignore SFC/DISM reporting an error. Especially if they cause a similar hiccup while running that you see due to POP Peeper. I would say this is almost certainly the cause of the issue.

I don't know enough about how sfc works, but perhaps one explanation for what you're seeing is that the "offline" mode only checks Windows system files that are essential to load/run the OS. POP Peeper may call Windows APIs that use non-essential files and that's where the problem is. And perhaps SFC only checks files that have attempted to be accessed (this seems counter-intuitive to me, but I'm just trying to apply a possible explanation to the behavior you're reporting).

So what files does SFC/DISM report problems for? Hopefully the list isn't too large... :)

And I might as well suggest this: Try installing Windows from scratch. Get the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft so you can get the latest version that they've released:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
looks like they have the latest Win10 1909 (although, I don't think you've mentioned what OS you're using)
You can not be serious when recommend reinstall the so only because poppeeper froze the app, i were thought you fixed the app.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: severe lockups when using POP Peeper

Post by Jeff »

The problem is not in POP Peeper -- there's something unusual about the OP's setup. Also, the OP had already stated that they had to re-install Windows in order to fix the problem, something that they had already done multiple times. It's not something that I would normally suggest even as a last resort, but if there's something wrong with the image that you're restoring from each time -- as indicated by the sfc results -- then it's certainly a valid recommendation.

Also, I don't think that I ever got back to Simone regarding this, but I was unable to duplicate the problem with various UAC settings specified. Fortunately, Simone had found a work-around which was to run POP Peeper using the credentials of a different Windows user that had UAC enabled.