Retrieve deleted messages?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
BDinger3

Retrieve deleted messages?

Post by BDinger3 »

This hasn't happened in a long time but I've deleted a message I shouldn't have in the Pop Peeper window. Is there any way to retrieve it? Maybe on the mail server?

Thanks, Bill Dinger
mjs

Re: Retrieve deleted messages?

Post by mjs »

Login to the account on the web and take a look in the Trash Can or Deleted folder for the deleted message which can then be moved back to the accounts Inbox. The message will return to the POP Peeper Inbox when the message gets retrieved once again by POP Peeper on the next Mail Check.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

If the message is no longer in the Deleted or Trash folder there are sometimes way to restore a deleted message if it hasn't been too long.

For example Outlook.com:
If you can't find an item in the Deleted Items folder, the next place to look is the Recoverable Items folder.
Steps to do this:
1) In the left pane, select the Deleted Items folder.
2) At the top of the message list, select Recover items deleted from this folder.
3) Select the items you want to recover and select Restore.

Other email services provide similar ways to do this for example for Yahoo Recover lost or deleted emails and for Gmail
How To Recover Permanently Deleted Emails from Gmail Account.

You didn't mention what email service you're using -- other services than the above can also be looked into on the Internet to find out how to do this.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

Thanks for the tips. I use a local cable/internet service provider called Cox Communications (they are at several locations across the country). I looked into my Trash folder there yesterday and it was empty. I didn't explore further but will copy the info from your responses to see if there is any more options next time.

Thanks for the help, Bill
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

I did one last check with my webmail open and PopPeeper open right next to it and can now report that when PopPeeper deletes mail using this account, it never reaches the Trash folder. It is instantly eliminated completely. I don't know if this is something I can check out with my service provider or if there is a setting in PopPeeper to send to Spam folder instead. Just wondering.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Are you using the IMAP protocol for this email account in PP (edit account in PP and look at the "Server type" setting in PP to determine this)? If you are not using IMAP, it would be advisable to do so. You can find Cox Communications Email Server settings HERE that includes the IMAP settings. By using IMAP, deleted messages should then be on your service provider's Trash or Deleted folder. As far as the specific message that you are concerned about that has been previously deleted -- you might try contacting Cox Communications regarding this.
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

I've attached what I believe are my Cox settings for this account. Looks like I'm already set up on IMAP.

Bill
Attachments
Cox settings.jpg
BDinger3

Post by BDinger3 »

Sorry, my last is not how my account is currently set up. It's currently setup as a POP account. I'll experiment with the setting shown in the attachment.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ That's Good -- IMAP is the preferable protocol to use. This will not bring back your deleted message however (going forward your deleted messages should reside in your Trash folder). All you need to do is enter "IMAP" w/out quotes in the "Server type" setting in PP for the specific account and all other appropriate settings should be automatically set for you. :wink:

In regards to the previously deleted message you could log into Cox WebMail at www.cox.net to see if a copy of the message still remains on their server. Other than that, as far as I know, your only recourse regarding your previously deleted message would be to contact your email service provider (I have not idea whether they can help you out or not at this point however, I frankly doubt they can if the message is no longer on the server unfortunately :().
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Some mail servers will save deleted POP3 messages and they might put it in another folder, so you may want to look for any folders that may seem like a match. I would say this is probably pretty rare though, but when a message is deleted via POP3, the only way it can be moved to a trash folder is if the service provider has specifically accounted for it on their end because, as lakrsrool indicated, the POP3 protocol simply does not support folders.

Also, POP Peeper does support the capability to save deleted messages, but it's disabled by default and would only help you if it was enabled at the time the messages were deleted:
main menu: Tools / Options / Storage