Keyboard shortcut for "Block external data" only works after "HTML options" submenu is displayed

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
aidanwhitehall

Keyboard shortcut for "Block external data" only works after "HTML options" submenu is displayed

Post by aidanwhitehall »

Having assigned a keyboard shortcut to HTML options > Block external data in PPtweaker, it appears that it's not registered (unsure of the correct term) until the HTML options sub-menu is displayed.

Steps to reproduce:

With a default viewing preference of Plain Text:

1. From the Inbox message list, with an HTML e-mail highlighted, click ENTER to open it
2. Press Ctrl+1 to display the HTML version of the e-mail
3. Press the keyboard shortcut assigned to Block external data -- e-mail images aren't displayed

Steps to show images:

4. From step 3, click Options menu item and then mouse over HTML options sub-menu.
5. Press Escape three times to close the menus.
6. Press the keyboard shortcut assigned to Block external data -- e-mail images are displayed

Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Keyboard shortcut for "Block external data" only works after "HTML options" submenu is displayed

Post by Jeff »

Disabling images after they've already been shown (ie. your steps 1-3) is generally useless. The reason to not show images is to prevent webbugs or other malware from activating and once the images have been shown, the cat's already out of the bag.

Ideally, you would want to block images by default:
main menu: Tools / Options; "View messages" page

That being said, I may be misunderstanding your question and your steps to reproduce, but the reason that "block external data" is blocked is because it's only available when the message is currently viewed as HTML. So the simple answer would be: that's the way it's intended.

But, perhaps you're suggesting that you'd like to pre-emptively "block data" in the situation where it defaults to on? In that case, there's something in v5 that will address this -- the "double-click here" banner has been extended so that instead of just showing the message in full html, it will also have options to view without images. See the screenshot below:
PPv5_ViewMessageBanner.png
PPv5_ViewMessageBanner.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
aidanwhitehall

Re: Keyboard shortcut for "Block external data" only works after "HTML options" submenu is displayed

Post by aidanwhitehall »

> Disabling images after they've already been shown (ie. your steps 1-3) is generally useless.
> [snip]

I think we're talking at cross-purposes. Sorry... I'll try to be clearer.

My default mail viewing preference is Plain text.

With an open e-mail, I'd like to be able to do two things, both using only keyboard shortcuts:

1) Change the mail display format to HTML (which works, using Ctrl+1).
2) Display the images in the e-mail (whose display format is now HTML) using the keyboard shortcut assigned to it.

The state of the menu option Block external images and data is initially checked (i.e. it's successfully blocking remote images). Yes, I could click the yellow banner that says "Blocked remote images", but I'm hoping to avoid using the mouse.

Having assigned various keyboard shortcuts to the menu option Block external images and data, none of them work, in the sequence described above.

Curiously, step #2 DOES work via its keyboard shortcut if you first reveal the menu options that are children of HTML options.. (the red area in the screenshot) by mousing over it (i.e. the blue area).

Thanks for your help!

POP Peeper Block external images and data.png
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Aha! I understand now, sorry for the confusion. Your last comment summed it up well; but basically, when viewing as HTML, the keyboard shortcut for "block data" (as well as the other html options in that submenu) would not work until the submenu was opened.

This has been fixed for v5. Thanks for following up.
aidanwhitehall

Post by aidanwhitehall »

[snip] This has been fixed for v5. Thanks for following up.
That's great news! Thanks... that'll be a big help :-D