Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sportman40

Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper

Post by sportman40 »

I have my alert coming from the side is this Windows 10 Notification ? it goes away is this not how pop peeper should work ? and it's appears Action Center. ?
Last edited by spc3rd on Sun May 03, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: This post split from original location to a new topic. Issue being reported here is unrelated to original topic discussion
spc3rd

Re: Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper

Post by spc3rd »

Sportman40,

I have placed your post into its own new topic with a new title. The issue you are inquiring about is not directly related to what was being discussed in the other topic to which you posted.

Please note that posting in such a manner can be considered "thread-hijacking", and should be avoided.

Thank you & best regards.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

sportman -- I assume that that's probably the Windows notification you're referring to, but I would need a screenshot or something to confirm, because there at least 2 other notifications available to POP Peeper that can be described the same way.

POP Peeper cannot change the amount of time that the Windows Notification stays on the screen. If that is not suitable, then let us know and we can tell you how to switch to POP Peeper's Desktop Alert. And, like I mentioned above, if you can take a screenshot of what you're currently using, that may help, because I thought that the Desktop Alert (aka DTA) had come up in the previous discussion.
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

Jeff Windows notification and Action screenshot
Attachments
N & A.PNG
N & A.PNG (9.41 KiB) Viewed 7118 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, that's the Windows Notification.
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

Jeff if I turn off Windows Notification how do I make pop peeper pop up alert appear ? need to know the set up
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:39 pm Jeff if I turn off Windows Notification how do I make pop peeper pop up alert appear ? need to know the set up
One way -- and as I recollect is what you have previously used and was discussed just 2 weeks ago in the previous topic you started as stated by me HERE in the topic.

To reiterate -- I am talking about this specific portion of my post linked above which is one way and probably the easiest way (simply because this method does not require a plugin):
Regarding the Tools > Options > Notifications: "When I receive new mail" setting (in Visual section of window):
1) Set to "Display Desktop Alert" screen-shot example (possibly what you are currently using):
PIC-1 DTA POPUP EXAMPLE.png
PIC-1 DTA POPUP EXAMPLE.png (8.14 KiB) Viewed 7102 times
After looking back on the previous topic you recently started -- you did mention you used this method as stated HERE immediately following my posted linked above in the former topic. So this is a notification method you have recently used and therefore should be aware of "the set up" that you asked for.
We are happy to help -- but please try and keep in mind discussions previously discussed in past topics. [-o<
It also occurs to me that there have been previous discussions on alternative methods to get PP message notifications -- and you have in the past reached decisions as to what your preference was at the time. If I may make a suggestion -- I would suggest once you have made a decision on what you prefer then it would probably be best to stay with that decision as opposed to second guessing the choice you made at the time and end up revisiting the topic all over again later on. :wink:

To add further clarification regarding your question about a PP popup alert "set up" (specifically the DTA notification) previously discussed that you recently used:
Attachments
GO TO &quot;TOOLS&quot; &gt; &quot;OPTIONS...&quot; &gt; &quot;NOTIFICATIONS&quot; TAB  - Select &quot;DISPLAY DESKTOP ALERT&quot;.
GO TO "TOOLS" > "OPTIONS..." > "NOTIFICATIONS" TAB - Select "DISPLAY DESKTOP ALERT".
Last edited by mjs on Tue May 05, 2020 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to add the last screen-shot at the bottom of post to provide as much clarification as possible
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool here is a screenshot I have my alert coming from the side this is with Windows 10 Notification on how can I make it pop up differently ?
Attachments
no display.PNG
mjs

Post by mjs »

The screen-shot you posted (and I did as well just above your post) has to do with POP Peeper notifications not Windows Notifications.

To try and understand what you are asking in your post when you said the following highlighted in RED:
sportman40 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:14 pm lakrsool here is a screenshot I have my alert coming from the side this is with Windows 10 Notification on how can I make it pop up differently ?
Are you asking:
1) ... how can I make it pop up differently ?
1A) If you are asking can you make Windows Notification appear differently -- I am not aware of a way to change the appearance of Windows Notification (if there is then other members of PP support can add their input to this question).
1B) If you are asking can you make Windows Notifications display for a different amount of time -- that's a good question. Presumably by following the steps below (note: in my case I have never been able to get Win10 notifications to consistently maintain displays according to the setting I've selected. But I personally find many various Win10 settings to be unreliable in my case - so that's no surprise to me :?). But FWIW, here is presumably the procedure to so so:
Step-1:
step-1 to change notification display time.png
Step-2:
step-2 to change notification display time.png
If you find this difficult to follow -- I don't blame you :wink: --- it's not easy (but then Win10 is not easy to deal with imho).
2) If you are asking about PP notifications or rather message alerts and how you can make it popup differently -- then simply set the "When I receive new mail" setting in the screen-shot we have discussed to "Display Desktop Alert" and click "OK" just as you have already done before and just as it is displayed in the screen-shot below:
PP DTA is set.png
sportman40 -- If you are not certain what to do with Win10 Notifications -- I would suggest you go with what is displayed in this screen-shot above. You have tried this out in the past and as I recall had decided this is what you preferred. I would stay with the decisions you have made in the past and was happy with at the time. =D>

So by going with the "Display Desktop Alert" message alert that PP provides you will get POP Peepers default Notifier which will be what you have used before and is easy to set. And if you go with this PP message alert (that is the "DTA") then I would recommend you turn off the Windows Notification for PP as seen in the screen-shot below (there is really no need to have more than one message alert popup -- right?):
POP Peeper Email Notificaiton -- to OFF.png
If you have more questions about Win10 Notifications you will need to ask other members of PP support about this (as I don't use Win10 Notifications that much - as you can see in the screen-shot above, I personally do not care for Win10 inconsistency with their notifications).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ as a followup -- now that I think about it assuming you would prefer to go with what PP offers in the way of message alerts (in my opinion far better than Win10 Notifications can do) -- I would personally recommend disabling all mail type Win10 "Notifications" --- specifically I would turn off all of Win10's mail notifications as seen below:
Turn off all Win10 mail notifications and let PP take care of it.png
... It seems to me that all the Win10 notifications will be doing is competing with PP's BETTER message Alert options and would therefore be unnecessary due to it's redundancy-- if you go with what PP has to offer (i.e. the "DTA" perhaps). :wink:

Just my 2-cents on the subject -- others may perhaps disagree.... 8)

This is the way I have it!! :D
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool I have my alert coming from the side when new email comes in how can I make the new email alert not come in from the side ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

You need to provide more information -- I do not know what "alert" (as you all it) you are using. If you're not sure -- then a screen-shot can help.

So the next time when you get a message -- Be sure to capture a screen-shot at that time of the "alert" and post the screen-shot here in this topic.

I will say that if you use the Desktop Alert (DTA) we have been discussing then you can drag that alert to anywhere you want it to be on the desktop (this alert will stay displayed until you dismiss it) and it will appear (popup) at the location each time that you have positioned it to. So the PP DTA is very easy to work with. :wink:

But without more information (preferably a screen-shot -- which you might notice is what Jeff had requested you to do previously) it's very difficult for us to understand what it is you are discussing.
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool I can not capture a screenshot cause I have my alert coming from the side I thinh am using Windows 10 to shoe when new email comes it dose not look like your screenshot hope am making sense
mjs

Post by mjs »

OK -- so assuming you are using Win10 Notifications then the position (and size as well) of these Win10 notifications is by design and cannot be changed.

So if you want a different position where you see your Notifications for new messages other than what it does now (lower right corner) you will need to use an Alert that PP provides. And of course if you do this I would recommend that you turn off the Win10 Notifications regarding messages as I have shown in previous screen-shots so that you do not get replication when email messages arrive.

I have already provided you with details on how to use the PP DTA (including many screen-shots) -- so you clearly do have plenty of information now on what to do to use PP's native DTA. :wink:
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool you said I have shown in screen-shot so that you do not get replication when email messages arrive.Which screenshot ?

The last screen-shot I posted above (where you turn off notifications for mail in Win10)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Does this look similar to the "alert" you are getting now in lower-right corner of desktop:
Does your alert look similar to this.png
Does your alert look similar to this.png (71.81 KiB) Viewed 7022 times
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool in your screenshot dose it alert pop out from the side ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:56 pm lakrsool in your screenshot dose it alert pop out from the side ?
Yes it absolutely does come out from the side just as you describe. So I've answered your question. :wink:

sportman40 -- I asked you a question that you did not answer -- does the screen-shot (just above) that you are asking about now that I posted look similar to the alert that you are talking about and currently using that comes out from the side?
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsoo yes your screenshot looks like mine
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:36 am lakrsoo yes your screenshot looks like mine
This IS Win10 Notification -- so if you do not like how it behaves (i.e. coming out from the side) then you should turn off these notifications as I've shown what to do in the screen-shot HERE IN THIS POST ABOVE (click on link for example) -- and use PP's native DTA alert (which I've shown with many screen-shots on how to setup).

I also do not understand why you posted this when I asked for a screen-shot of the "alert" you were getting:
sportman40 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:19 pm lakrsool I can not capture a screenshot cause I have my alert coming from the side I thinh am using Windows 10 to shoe when new email comes it dose not look like your screenshot hope am making sense
Why couldn't you capture the screen-shot :?: It doesn't matter if it comes from the side which is your reason (I've highlighted in red) for not being able to capture the "alert" -- you can still capture the screen-shot regardless so, to answer your question, you were not "making sense" :? --- I DID capture it and posted it here in this topic as you can see (so could you!). It's just like any other screen-shot you have captured.

Anyway -- assuming you are unhappy with the way the Win10 notification works -- then please set up the DTA that PP provides natively (instead of using Win10 notifications that you obviously do not like based on your complaints of its behavior) - in your screen-shot you posted you have the option where the DTA can be selected set to "-- no special action --" as illustrated HERE in your screen-shot that you posted previously. You need to set this option to "Display Desktop Alert" for the "When I receive new mail" option. If you are not sure what to do -- please read over this topic and you will find many examples on how to do this. :wink: (this alert can be positioned anywhere you want on the Desktop (just by dragging it to a location you prefer).

However if you don't mind the Win10 notification coming from the side that much (it's not something that is that noticeable) -- then keep it the way it is now. :|

Let us know what you decide and if you still do not like the way the Win10 notifications behaves then let us know when you have the DTA setup done and how you like it. :) You can do it sportman40 (it is something you have used before and liked as I recall)