Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sportman40

Re: Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool I do not want he Win10 notification coming from the side
then how do I setup DTA setup ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

There are two places (two different posts) where I explained what to do -- but I will go ahead and make a copy of the specifics from what I posted on the first page of the topic and post here with minimal change to avoid any confusion: From main menu -- Simply GO TO Tools > Options > Notifications and set the "When I receive new mail" (drop-down) setting to "Display Desktop Alert" as seen in the "Visual" area (circled in red) toward the bottom of the screen-shot (that we have discussed) and click the "OK" button just as you have already done before and just as it is displayed in the screen-shot below:
Click on screen-shot to enlarge image for better visibility (click on browser back-arrow to return to forum)
Click on screen-shot to enlarge image for better visibility (click on browser back-arrow to return to forum)
Here is a screen-shot example of the DTA popup:
PIC-1 DTA POPUP EXAMPLE.png
PIC-1 DTA POPUP EXAMPLE.png (8.14 KiB) Viewed 5641 times
My screen-shot will look different than your DTA (i.e. the color and some of the buttons) -- this is because I am using PPv5 which has themes that coordinate with the DTA which is what I have done. You can drag this DTA any where you like to any location on the Desk Top and it will popup from the location you positioned it. Also the DTA will continue to display until you dismiss it by clicking on the button with the "X" or by either opening PP Inbox or your Email Client by clicking on those respective buttons. The message list (to the right) will expand out by clicking on the Button with the 3 dot/lines in it. You can leave that message list expanded if you like and it will always display this way as illustrated in my screen-shot or you can click on the Button with the 3 dot/lines and the message list window will retract (be hidden). The 3 dot/lines button acts as a toggle to expand or retract (minimize) the message list window that you see to the right. Other buttons are pretty much self explanatory (I think you've used this Alert in the past anyway).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool I think I got it the DTA the setup How do I apply skins ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

The DTA is native to PP -- it is not a skin plugin. In PP v5 the DTA will color coordinate with themes so colors schemes will vary based on a specific theme that is used (in PP v4 you cannot modify the appearance of the DTA -- the appearance you see is what you get)

Do you like the appearance of the DTA and how it performs when new messages are retrieved?

Have you tried positioning the DTA to a location that you like on your Desktop?

Have you tried out the extended Message list window the DTA provides?

As long as you are satisfied with the appearance and behavior of the DTA you should be happy with the results. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool I will try DTA is native to PP since I figured out-- How do I apply skin plugin.?
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 -- Skin plugins have nothing to do with the DTA --- please try the DTA out first before we take the conversation in another direction and then please report back to us what you think of the DTA. I think it is best to take this approach of trying out the DTA and letting us know what you think before we have any discussion about other message notifiers. :wink:

My preference is to avoid any distraction from what has been discussed so far which is why I personally do not want to get into any other conversations about other types of message notifications until after you have tried out the DTA.

Once you have checked out the DTA -- If there is something that you do not like about the DTA or do not understand about the DTA -- then please explain what that is.

And if there is a problem you have with the DTA then I would request that you please provide a screen-shot of the DTA you are using so that we can understand what the problem is that you have with the DTA.

To be clear, I would prefer that we avoid going off in another direction for now and stay with the conversation about the DTA at least until after you have tried out the DTA and reported back to us what you think.

sportman40 -- I would like to ask you to please do this before trying anything else in order to keep the conversation less confusing. So please do not ask any questions about anything else [-X until after you have setup and tested the DTA out for yourself --- thank you for your cooperation. :)
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool am trying DTA have a question I know you said DTA Popups on top of your browser where is the best place to put DTA ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

That's right -- it will always be on top of what ever else is there on the Desktop (which could be a factor in your decision where to have the DTA positioned)

What is the best position is really up to you.

What I do is leave it in the lower-left position which is the default position (the way it is positioned automatically) -- because I have so many other system alerts that use the lower-right corner of the Desktop. That way I can leave the DTA in the lower-left corner for as long as I like as it doesn't interfere with other type popups (i.e I might get software updates in the lower-right Desktop corner).

I would say most people would place it in either the lower left or right corners of the Desktop but you can always choose to place it in the upper corners for that matter.

But that's still a personal choice. Some people may prefer the position to be in any where there isn't something else on the Desktop perhaps. Or maybe someone might like to position the DTA right smack dab in the middle of the Desktop perhaps -- it's all a personal choice.

The position on the Desktop could be decided upon simply based on what else you already have on the Desktop (i.e. various app shortcut icons) -- so that the DTA does not obscure where icons are currently positioned on the Desktop when the DTA pops-up and you can then leave the DTA displayed longer that way (since it isn't in the way of anything else).

I've mentioned many choices and why they might be considered a good choice.

You decide where it is you like it best -- so that you feel comfortable with the position and it doesn't perhaps interfere with or obscure something else for example. :wink:

You can always change the position at any time. :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Let us know what you decide sportman40. 8)
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool you would say most people would place it in either the left or right corners of the Desktop. which less in the way the left or right corners of the Desktop. when using your browser another thing I notice when new message comes in and I get it and close poppeeper when a new message come in the DTA fails to popup ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:37 pm lakrsool you would say most people would place it in either the left or right corners of the Desktop. which less in the way the left or right corners of the Desktop.
Yes -- I would say the corners of a Desktop is where most people would place an alert such as the DTA.
Where is the best place for you? -- how about you shoot us a screen-shot of your ENTIRE desktop (all of it) and post in your next reply -- and I'll tell you where I personally think are the best positions. (so go ahead and create a FULL screen-shot of your ENTIRE Desktop and post it here in this topic and I'll be happy take a look as far as what my opinion might be :wink:)
sportman40 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:37 pm ... when using your browser another thing I notice when new message comes in and I get it and close poppeeper when a new message come in the DTA fails to popup ?
Do you mean by "close poppeeper" is when you click on the red "X" in the upper right-corner of the main window? Or if not what are you doing to "close popeeper".?

Rest assured -- The DTA will always popup every time a message gets retrieved UNLESS you have POP Peeper already OPEN (in that case if POP Peeper is already open the premise is that you shouldn't need to see the DTA since you are already accessing the POP Peeper Inbox and will be able to see any new messages that get retrieved as a result of POP Peeper being open :idea:.
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool desktop screenshot first
Attachments
dt screens.PNG
mjs

Post by mjs »

Oh my sportman40 -- you have a really busy Desktop. :wink:

Here are just a couple of ideas:
Click on the image to enlarge for better visibility (to return to this forum topic click on the browser back-arrow)
Click on the image to enlarge for better visibility (to return to this forum topic click on the browser back-arrow)
where you might want to position the DTA. Where there are empty areas on your Desktop perhaps.

1) One position is where there is an empty area more in the lower-middle that doesn't need any Desktop changes.
2) Another position is where you move a couple of the short-cut icons up a bit and then position the DTA in the new empty space provided by moving the two short-cut icons a bit further up (that you can see toward the lower-right of the Desktop.

Advantage to these two positions is that you can leave the DTA there as long as you like as it does not obscure any other icons.

Otherwise -- you could place the DTA popup position any where you feel comfortably with -- once you do get an Alert you will at some point fairly soon in most cases be dismissing the DTA (so that it disappears from the Desktop anyway) whenever you either Open POP Peeper or Dismiss the DTA (by clicking on the "X" button) or by other means as well perhaps.

Also regarding the position of the DTA -- the message list window (the part of the DTA to the right with the list of messages retrieved) can be closed by clicking on the button with the dots and lines in it (just above the "X" button). And of course the same message list window can be opened (expanded) by doing the same thing (by clicking on that same button). So as I've mentioned that button works as a toggle between opening and closing that part of the DTA. Kind of cool uh? 8)

I've made a notation below the screen-shot how you can enlarge the image for improved visibility -- of course to return from the enlarged image back to the forum just click on the browsers back-button (that is the back-arrow of your browser) which will return you to the forum topic again. :wink:
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 -- I see you have installed the Pale Moon browser Image

Just curious -- what made you decide to do that?

I'm curious because that's the primary browser I use (all the time). =D> (it's a great browser -- very fast with many nice options 8) that other browser don't have)
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool I will try it and let you know
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool it is the Firefox browser my main browser which browser do you use ? Can you use a different browser to open pop peeper other then Firefox browser my main browser ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

All browsers do basically the same thing (it is the little stuff where there are differences).

Sorry -- I should not have strayed from the topic. [-X

Let's get back to your message alert and let us know if you are happy with the DTA as your message notifier. (so we can finish the topic [-o< :wink:)
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsrool here a screenshot which do I click ?
Attachments
dt screens dt.PNG
dt screens dt.PNG (10.04 KiB) Viewed 5542 times
mjs

Post by mjs »

Very sorry for the confusion -- the DTA is different from mine (the screen-shots I posted) because of the versions of PP that we are both using.

Here is an explanation of the buttons I have previously mentioned:
Click on image to enlarge for improved visibility -- to return to forum topic just click on the browsers back-arrow
Click on image to enlarge for improved visibility -- to return to forum topic just click on the browsers back-arrow
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool I have browser popeeper ? should I make a new topic ?