Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:10 pm lakrsool I have browser popeeper ? should I make a new topic ?
Probably -- but can you please explain in more detail what you mean my "I have browser popeeper?" before I can be sure.

Btw, Now that I know you have apparently tried the DTA out --- what do you think of the DTA?

Any problems or things you do not like?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Also -- now that you have tried out the DTA as I asked of you -- will you please do the following:

From the main POP Peeper menu:
Go to "Tools" and then "Plugins..." and take a screen-shot of the "plugins" window you get and post the screen-shot in this topic (so I know what you have installed).

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsrool »pluggin
Attachments
Pluggins.PNG
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the screen-shot sportman40.

I just wanted to mention that I noticed in the screen-shot you posted of your DTA that you had not moved the two short-cut icons up a little on your Desktop so that the DTA has an empty space to be positioned on the Destktop in the bottom-lower-right corner without it blocking any icons.

See what I mean:
DTA is not obscuring anything on DeskTop larger image.png
You can click on this image above to enlarge it for better visibility if you like (after that just click on the back-arrow of your browser to return to the forum topic where you were before) Just thought I would mention that. :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

I requested that you post a plugin page screen-shot so that I could see if you have installed the PP default "Notification skin" and I see that you have.

So then you have a choice to either go with the DTA as your message notifier they way you have it now or to go with the "Notification skin" as you message notifier by checking the box for that "Notification skin" plugin that you see in the screen-shot that you posted.

Which of the two notifiers you go with is totally up to you sportman40. Of course keep in mind that the "Notification skin" will popup in either of two ways: 1) it will slide into view from the bottom or the side or 2) it will fade into view depending upon how you set it up. You have made the point that you did not like the way the Window Notification would slide into view from the side so my impression is that you would not like either of these ways the Skin Notifier displays itself. To clarity, the Skin Notifier does not display like the DTA and just popup directly where you have the DTA positioned on the Desktop as is. As you probably noticed the DTA pops up directly at it's position on the desktop without any slide from side or bottom or fade-in -- so I'm assuming you prefer the way the DTA behaves when it pops up. Am I right about this?

Bottom line
: If you like the DTA as far as how it looks and how the popup behaves then you are set to go and can leave things just as they are since you are happy the way it is now. =D> Otherwise you can always go back to the "Notification skin" that you have tried out before. It all depends upon which you prefer of the two methods of notifying when you get new messages. :wink:

Good job sportman40 working through all this. Image

Let us know what you decide.

I have no idea what you think about the DTA because you never answered my questions I posted about this previously:
lakrsrool wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:19 pm
... Now that I know you have apparently tried the DTA out --- what do you think of the DTA?

It would be nice if you get back to us on these two questions. :wink:
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool trying to decide which two from the side how it was or DTA

Theses are for DTA ? it will slide into view from the bottom or the side or 2) it will fade into view depending How dose it work
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:17 pm lakrsool trying to decide which two from the side how it was or DTA

Theses are for DTA ? it will slide into view from the bottom or the side or 2) it will fade into view depending How dose it work
The Notification Skin does this -- it will 1) Slide into view from bottom or side or 2) Fade into view.

If you recall you decided against Windows Notifications because it did a "slide into view from the side" -- which you said you did not like at all.

Do you remember this?

And it seems to me you have already previously checked out the PP Notification Skin (you do have the plugin, based on your screen shot, and it is DISABLED (based on the screen-shot. So you have "disabled" it (unchecked it) for a reason -- that reason was most likely because you decided you did not like something about the PP Notification -- which was probably the way it displayed the alert (just like you did not like the way Windows Notification displayed its alert).

So if you DO NOT like that behavior (WHICH IS WHAT YOU HAVE SAID!) -- then there is no point discussing how this is set in the Skin Notifier -- but I will post a screen-shot for your edification (because you did cooperate with me and stuck with the DTA until you had it setup):
Notification Skin settings.png
This is the area where these settings are which can be found in the Notification Skin plugins "Settings" in the PP plugins window.

But again sportman40 -- why would you want to know anything about this? -- so there is no need to know "How does it work" -- right?
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrool am going back to no DTA Browser question - but can you please explain in more detail what you mean my "I have browser popeeper?" before I can be sure.

My Main browser is Firefox when I cilck on a message in popeeper can I make it go to another browser ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 -- if you think you still might want to compare the PP (default) Notification skin to the DTA one more time (even though you have been adamantly against the slide into view behavior of Windows Notifications) -- all you have to do is go to the PP plugins page and enable the plugin (go to "Tools">"Plugins..."> and select "Plugins" window and check the "Notification skin" box to enable it again. You would of course need to disable the DTA under "Tools">"Options">"Notifications" and change the "When I receive New Mail" drop-down setting from "Display Desktop Alert" to "-- No Special Action --" (because of the DTA position you now have on the Desktop might conflict with the other Alert).

All of this extra work is why I have asked you -- what you think of the DTA? And if there is anything you don't like about the DTA?

If you like the DTA and there isn't anything that bothers you about the DTA -- then why not call-it-a-day and say you have an Alert that is acceptable to you? :?
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool
All of this extra work is why I have asked you -- what you think of the DTA? And if there is anything you don't like about the DTA?

yes I don't like it appears on top of my browser when am using Firefox
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:41 pm lakrool am going back to no DTA Browser question - but can you please explain in more detail what you mean my "I have browser popeeper?" before I can be sure.

My Main browser is Firefox when I cilck on a message in popeeper can I make it go to another browser ?
Now I'm really getting confused #-o

I didn't say anything about "I have a browser popeeper" let me check.... OK -- I did a search for the word "browser" for the last 2 pages in the topic and I do not find where I said "I have browser popeeper"....

There was this exchange:
lakrsrool wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:19 pm
sportman40 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:10 pm lakrsool I have browser popeeper ? should I make a new topic ?
Probably -- but can you please explain in more detail what you mean my "I have browser popeeper?" before I can be sure.

Btw, Now that I know you have apparently tried the DTA out --- what do you think of the DTA?

Where you asked "I have browser popeeper" of which I requested more clarification because I did not understand your question.

There is a setting in PP to control what browser is used (gets launched) to launch URL's (click on) in the Misc2 page of PpTweaker but I don't think you have a problem with that or are really asking about this.

Can you explain more what you are asking?
sportman40

Post by sportman40 »

lakrsool

My Main browser is Firefox when I cilck on a message url in popeeper can I make it go to another browser rather then my main Firefox
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:49 pm lakrsool

yes I don't like it appears on top of my browser when am using Firefox
My my .... we covered this before -- ALL ALERTS probably do and should display in the foreground (on top of all things open -- including you browser).

Consider this sportman40 -- if the alert did not display in foreground (that is on top) and instead displayed in background (that is behind everything including your browser) then how would you know you got any new messages? -- the alert would be hidden behind you browser if it did not display "on top" of your browser.

Does that make sense?... You would not want ANY Alert that you want to know about to be hidden behind anything including your browser would you?

An alert of any kind should be "ON TOP" or else the user (that is you) would never see the Alert --- RIGHT?

We have covered this before in more than one topic....

I am going to direct you to another topic that we all had with you back in 2016 that covers all of this that we have been recently discussing with you: POP Peeper Display Desktop Alert ? I invite you to please read through all of this topic very carefully which covers everything about both the DTA and PP Skin Notifier that both Jeff and I discussed with you in great detail. There is another more recent discussion on these things as well --- but this topic discusses in a lot of detail covering everything pretty much discussed in this topic. We went over all of your questions including why a Message Alert (any Alert for that matter) SHOULD always display ON TOP of everything including your browser (which you apparently accepted the reasoning back then why this is necessary)

Please READ THROUGH this topic I have linked above to refresh your memory on all of these questions you are now asking about Message Alerts now.
mjs

Post by mjs »

sportman40 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:01 pm lakrsool

My Main browser is Firefox when I cilck on a message url in popeeper can I make it go to another browser rather then my main Firefox
Yes you can have URL links open to any browser you have installed -- but why would you be asking this?

If Firefox is your default browser and the one you use as your "main" browser in that case then I see no reason to have a URL open a different browser.

Besides -- this is another subject and not at all about a "Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper" <--- which is the title of the current topic.

So please refrain from "hijacking" this topic with irrelevant questions that have nothing to do with this topic [-X -- please!!

If you want to ask any questions other than the topic "Question about Windows Notifications and POP Peeper" -- then please start another topic.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Let's stick to the subject at hand -- all right sportman40?

Now -- the one complaint you have about the DTA is that you do not like it to display on top of your browser (where the Alert can then be seen :lol:).

After reading my reply -- do you understand why any Alert should and does typically always display on top of other things on your Desktop :?:

This is so you can see the Alert as opposed to it being hidden behind stuff (which you would not want for an Alert).

So is there anything else you do not like about the DTA?

If not and because of the fact you have not liked how other Notifications behaved as to how they display -- it would appear to me that the DTA should be acceptable to you.

Do you agree with my conclusion above?

I think it is time to reach a consensus and decide what you want to do --- ruling out your objection regarding an Alert displaying in foreground (on top) which is should -- Let's not reach the obligatory page 3 and not reach a conclusion.... So I'll ask again --- IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE that bothers you about the DTA?

Again -- if there is nothing else then I would say you have covered it all and should consider the DTA good enough to use thus move on from this topic -- do you agree sportman40?