IMAP with IDLE/Push (enabled), connection interrupted.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: IMAP with IDLE/Push (enabled), connection interrupted.

Post by Jeff »

There are a few requirements for idle to work:
1) The imap server must support idle (both gmail and outlook do)
2) AutoCheck must be enabled
3) The account must be enabled
4) Idle/push must be enabled

Based on what you've described, it sounds like you've met all those conditions, but I just want to confirm.

And, unfortunately, it's impossible for POP Peeper to know why the connection is breaking so all we can do is offer some ideas. The two ideas that come to my mind:
1) Your general internet connection is having problems.
This may or may not manifest itself in other programs, but it's likely that you'd at least notice some stutters while browsing the web.

2) You have some kind of program installed breaking the connections.

Some additional questions to try to help narrow things down:
1) Is this your first time using POP Peeper? That is, if you were using POP Peeper before installing v4.5.3, were you having any issues?

2) Have you noticed any patterns as to the issue? ie. will "disconnect" be available for a few minutes and then grayed out? Does it affect all your accounts or just some? Does it sometimes work for long periods of time and then you will randomly not be connected, or is "disconnected" consistently grayed out sometime shortly after a check mail?

3) If we can get logs capturing the problem, we may be able to find a pattern. Email me (support at esumsoft dot com), and I'll provide instructions for doing that.
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

"LSA" enable or disable do not make any difference... I turned off to enable "Oauth2" and the problem was still there.

Yes, I'm using the "windows firewall" and "Avast free antivirus" at the same time, but "Windows Defender" is turned off.

Yes, Avast Mail Shield is enabled.
I can't find the setting your are asking in my Avast (v20.3.2405).
The only setting are those in the screenshot below

Avast " Core Shields sensitivity" is set to "Medium".
There are a few requirements for idle to work:
1) The imap server must support idle (both gmail and outlook do)
2) AutoCheck must be enabled
3) The account must be enabled
4) Idle/push must be enabled
Yes, I confirm all the above.

I have not noticed any connection problems.

1) Yes, is my first time using POP Peeper.
2) What I have noticed is that, every time I start POP Peeper, after the first 15 minutes (from first check) accounts lost the connection... no matter when was the last polling. I can reproduce this behavior everytime I start POP Peeper.
3) I'm going to contact you by email...
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

HCsns wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:33 pm 2) What I have noticed is that, every time I start POP Peeper, after the first 15 minutes (from first check) accounts lost the connection... no matter when was the last polling. I can reproduce this behavior everytime I start POP Peeper.
Regarding what you mentioned in this quote -- by default, POP Peeper does not check mail immediately when it starts. So I just want to make sure that you're aware of this, or if you have changed the "when POP Peeper starts" option (Tools / Options / Mail check). What this means is that, normally, POP Peeper won't check the accounts for 10 minutes (which is the default polling interval); but if you've changed an account to a 40 minute polling interval, then it would be 40 minutes for that account.

That doesn't quite sync with some of your other comments, so I'm going to assume that that isn't necessarily the issue and we'll continue with the logging.
mjs

Post by mjs »

HCsns wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:33 pm I can't find the setting your are asking in my Avast (v20.3.2405).
The links I posted on the first page -- more specifically the first link regarding "Mail Shield" settings would include the "SSL scanning" setting and the second link would include the "Hardened Mode" setting (both of which should apply to your version of Avast).

But I wouldn't worry too much about this for now -- Jeff will be requesting you to provide PP_logs that may be of some help in figuring out what's going on. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Yes, I have changed "when POP Peeper starts" option (Tools / Options / Mail check) to "Check mail immediately".
So,
1) I start POP Peeper
2) POP Peeper start to check all accounts
3) All accounts are now connected and "Disconnect" is clickable.
4) after 15 minutes, the connection stop for all accounts and "Disconnect" is not clickable.

I'll send the PP_logs soon.
mjs

Post by mjs »

HCsns -- When you get things settled regarding the problem you are having with the IDLE connection...

... as our newest member we, Esumsoft Team members would like to invite you to review, at your leisure, the following Sticky topic: Information for new users and forum members which is comprised of many very helpful tips that all users should be aware of to help make things easier if for example problems arise with POP Peeper.

Noticing that you previously used an Image hosting site to post a link to your screen-shot:
You might consider checking out point "D. Inserting/attaching images within your post" in the topic linked above to provide a better and easier way to post screen-shots. And keep in mind that if you have any questions or comments, always feel free to let us know.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Thanks for the info