IMAP with IDLE/Push (enabled), connection interrupted.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
HCsns

IMAP with IDLE/Push (enabled), connection interrupted.

Post by HCsns »

Hi all,
I installed PP (v4.5.3) a few days ago and I noticed that my IMAP accounts with IDLE/Push (enabled) often loose the connection.
I have 6 gmail accounts (plus 1 Hotmail/Outlook account), polling interval is set to 60 minutes for one account, while others are set to 10 or 20 minutes.
Anyway, the behavior of the accounts are all the same... every time I start PP, after the first 15 minutes (from first check) they all loss the connection... no matter when was the last polling.
Thereafter, the issue continue to occur again and again...

"Error overview" window don't show any errors.

Do I miss some setting?
Any clue?
mjs

Re: IMAP with IDLE/Push (enabled), connection interrupted.

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum HCsns,

What do you mean by "loose connection"?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

I mean "lost connection"
mjs

Post by mjs »

Can you describe in more detail what it is you are observing or what is happening when a "lost connection" occurs?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

When I right click on the account, "Disconnect" is not clickable
mjs

Post by mjs »

You have said you do have IDLE/Push enabled (checked) for these accounts.

And you do have "Auto Check" enabled as well?
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Yes, both!
mjs

Post by mjs »

As long as you have IDLE/Push enabled (checked) for each IMAP account then this unclickable "Disconnect" should not keep messages from getting retrieved. The next time a message arrives on the Server it should get retrieved successfully and therefore reach your POP Peeper Inbox.

To test this - send a test message to one of these IMAP accounts using the IMAP protocol with IDLE/Push enabled -- you will find that the message will be retrieved by POP Peeper (and in most cases with IDLE/Push enabled the "Disconnect" will then be clickable again for the account receiving the message).

Let us know if the test message fails to reach the accounts Inbox.
Last edited by mjs on Thu May 07, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited post to add last text line
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Tried to send an email to the account with unclickable "Disconnect" (IDLE/Push enabled is checked)... the email has not been retrieved.
The email has been received after the next polling, only!

So, the test message fails to reach the accounts Inbox.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Was the right-click "Disconnect" option clickable after the message was retrieved as a result of the polling Mail Check?
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

yes
mjs

Post by mjs »

If of course the right-click "Disconnect" option does become clickable again as I expect it will -- then any more messages to that account will get pushed to your Inbox as soon as it reaches the Server as a result of PUSH/Idle being enabled (this specifically applies to your Gmail and Hotmail/Outlook accounts using IDLE)
mjs

Post by mjs »

We will followup on why you are apparently getting persistent "disconnects" on your IMAP IDLE accounts (IDLE accounts as I understand it do momentarily disconnect and reconnect as a normal refresh procedure and should remain connected most of the time).

That said, as you can see (by your test) this will not at all impact your messages getting successfully retrieved by POP Peeper. :wink:
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Just noticed, one account (the one which should receive email from this forum), has the email on the server, but has not been retrieved... even if "Disconnect" was clickable. (anyway, after a few second became unclickable again)
The polling time for this account is set to 40 minutes... the mail is on the server since 20 minutes and has not been retrieved yet... waiting the next polling.

Yes, after the polling the "Disconnect" option become clickable again... but is not permanent... the connection drop again and again... as result, mostly of the email are received after the next polling.
So, the option IDLE/Push seems not to work for me.
mjs

Post by mjs »

We will need to look into this further as to why your IDLE/Push is loosing connection on a regular basis and get back to you on this. But keep in mind you will still eventually get your messages in your POP Peeper Inbox regardless of this issue.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Oh I should ask you -- have you set the "Oauth2" option for these IMAP accounts?

If not click on the "Oauth2" button on the right-side of the edit account window and follow the steps needed to do this. This might possibly help. :D

Let us know if implementing the "Oauth2" procedure to authorize POP Peeper made any difference. (you probably have since as I recall Gmail requires it)
Last edited by mjs on Thu May 07, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You have said you just recently installed POP Peeper -- have you done a reboot of your computer since the install?

If you have not then try that to see if a reboot helps.

Do you have any security software that might possibly be interfering with the IMAP IDLE function?
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Yes, I have done the reboot after the install.
As security software, I have "windows firewall" and "Avast free antivirus".

I'm not using the "Oauth2", I still using "LSA" (less secure app) turned on.
I will try to use the "Oauth2" in one account.
HCsns

Post by HCsns »

Tried the "Oauth2", no any change, the problem is still there.
mjs

Post by mjs »

First off -- I'm not sure if using "LSA" (Less Secure Apps enabled) for your accounts could be impacting your IDLE connection or not (other Esumsoft support members will probably have more to say on this). I would say if you are using Oauth2 then this should be turned off probably.

Are you using both the "windows firewall" (by that I'm assuming "Windows Defender") and "Avast free antivirus" at the same time?

I'm not sure if Avast (based on what settings are used) could be causing the IDLE connection to drop or not -- but a few questions might help (considering that Avast has so many levels of "Sensitivity" settings that go deep including in the Mail Shield):

Do you have the Avast Mail Shield enabled?

If you do have this Shield enabled then:

What is your "heuristic sensitivity" set at for your Mail Shield?

Do you have "Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs)" enabled in your Mail Shield settings?

Are you using "SSL Scanning" (that Scans Email SSL connections) enabled in your Mail Shield settings?

What is the "Sensitivity" level for your Avast " Core Shields sensitivity" setting set at?

Are you using "Enable Hardened Mode" in your "Core Shields" settings? If you are I am assuming you have most likely had to have allowed "POP Peeper" as an Exception for this setting at some point. (as I recall POP Peeper would not function properly if "Hardened Mode" is used and this was not done)

Other members of Esumsoft team support will be looking into your issue as well to determine why it is that your Email Accounts IDLE function does not stay connected.