All My Yahoo Accounts Just Stopped Working

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Godiva

All My Yahoo Accounts Just Stopped Working

Post by Godiva »

All my Yahoo accounts (one is AT&T Yahoo, the other two are 'regular' Yahoo) just stopped working with PopPeeper in the past couple of hours. The error displayed is "SSL connection failed". The accounts are accessible via browser interface. I "reauthorized" all 3 accounts with OAuth2 and the authorizations were successful, but the error still continues.

Here are the details:

Versions (all are showing as up-to-date):
  • PopPeeper Pro 4.5.3.0
  • Webmail 4.5.15.0
  • SSL 1.0.2.16
  • IMAP 4.5.2.0
--- Error ---
ACCOUNTNAME [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [consec: 1]
- SSL connection failed

The fact that this just occurred with all 3 Yahoo accounts at the same time makes me think that a PP module(s) needs updating. Can others with Yahoo accounts check and see if they are experiencing similar problems?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: All My Yahoo Accounts Just Stopped Working

Post by Jeff »

Just tested and it's working fine here with 1.0.2.11 and 1.0.2.16. You can also try 1.0.2.18 (r) if you download the "SSL (zip)" option:
https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... ugins/#SSL (but very unlikely that this will fix it).

I'd try restarting POP Peeper and if that doesn't work, restart your computer.
mjs

Post by mjs »

All 9 of my Yahoo accounts are working OK -- including one that is an "AT&T Yahoo account" like you have Godiva.

Hopefully a restart will help. [-o<
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Godiva

Post by Godiva »

Well, I tried various combinations of the previous suggestions (and a few variations of my own), and none of them fixed the problem. Then I had a Eureka moment!

The problem turned out to be caused by Avast antivirus program. I disabled the "Scan inbound mail" option within Avast, and then Pop Peeper worked fine. Strange that this only affected the Yahoo based accounts. I have several Gmail and Zoho accounts set up in Pop Peeper, and having this Avast option enabled had no affect on those accounts.

Looking back, this option had affected my AT&T/Yahoo Pop3 account a couple of weeks ago (so I had switched to an IMAP/OAuth2 profile for the same account). But it only started to affect my AT&T/Yahoo (and regular Yahoo) IMAP/OAuth2 accounts starting yesterday afternoon. Disabling this option immediately allowed all Yahoo accounts (both Pop3 and IMAP) to work normally again.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad you found the problem :)

:|
rgarr

Post by rgarr »

Using PP v 3.8.1.0 (I'll upgrade one of these days :) ) All my yahoo.com accounts also failed a few days ago with this message: "SSL connection failed (Is SSL Plugin loaded?)". Other accounts at gmail and yandex had no problems.
After trying several remedies listed here, I upgraded the ssl files (from PP_SSL102r.zip), and everything returned to normal. My guess is yahoo made some change that the old ssl libs did not deal with.
FYI I'm running windows 7 pro 64bit and the ssl libs I had before upgrading was ver 1.0.0.5.
FWIW I've been gratefully using PP since 2006 :shock:
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the report rgarr -- yes :-k ... I think it would be a good idea to upgrade. \:D/
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

rgarr -- are you using Avast or another 3rd party (ie. not Windows Defender) AntiVirus?