Why The Need To Keep Resetting OAuth Accounts?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: Why The Need To Keep Resetting OAuth Accounts?

Post by mjs »

Hi mdv921,

Thanks for the reply and screen-shot. :)

Please refer to Jeff's most recent post near the bottom of the previous page - he mentions there is "No need to include the error reports".... so you don't need to bother with that.

But instead please followup with what Jeff has posted (just above your last post on the previous page) including the questions he has for you.

Many thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

lakrsrool wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:39 am Hi mdv921,

Thanks for the reply and screen-shot. :)

Please refer to Jeff's most recent post near the bottom of the previous page - he mentions there is "No need to include the error reports".... so you don't need to bother with that.

But instead please followup with what Jeff has posted (just above your last post on the previous page) including the questions he has for you.

Many thanks.

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I didn't even notice Jeff's reply before mine on page 1, and somehow my notification setting to notify me of replies to my posts had been turned off. Can't figure that one out for the life of me. I haven't even looked at those settings in years.

I just tried what Jeff suggested, multiple times in fact, to no avail. Once it fails Gmail will not work until I completely close PP and restart it. No need to redo OAuth at all.

I'm using Avira Antivirus and the standard Windows 10 firewall. Last week I disabled email checking in Avira to see if that was the cause and that made no difference.

Here's the error data anyway. I blocked out my user name in the report so pay no attention to that.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.0.3.0
Webmail: 5.0.1.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.0.3.0
PPTweaker: 5.0.3.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Users\xxxxxxx xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
3 - Gmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [oauth: 1] [consec: 1]
- (OAuthAccess empty) -- OAuth2: You may need to re-allow POP Peeper access. Edit the account and press the 'OAuth2' button to re-authorize. Reset Oauth2: pp://OAuth2?MyAtIEdtYWls
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

mdv921 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:51 am The only account I'm having problems with is Gmail. Every morning when I check PP on my desktop computer Gmail has an error telling me I may need to reset the OAuth. I was doing that until I figured out that simply closing down and restarting PP took care of the problem. I was using other computers to check email with PP, but yesterday I deleted PP on the other 3 computers I use. I did check my GMail email on one laptop yesterday via the browser. Still this morning Gmail on PP on the desktop had stopped working during the night. Today I'm going to not check email on any other computer than the desktop and see if that makes a difference tomorrow morning with Gmail.
Hello mdv921,

A couple of questions (for my own edification here): #-o

1. How many computers are you using POP Peeper on at this time?

2. Are you using Windows 10 on all of them?

Thank you & best regards.
Global Moderator
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

Until last week I was using PP on 4 Windows 10 computers, although I only ran it full time on one. But last week I decided to uninstall PP on all but the main computer that runs PP 24/7. I did that in hopes it would fix the Gmail problem, but that has made no difference.
hime3

Post by hime3 »

Same gmail issue began this morning.
Confused how to proceed.
Did not find a satisfactory KB explanation.
hime
hime3

Post by hime3 »

if useful, error copied

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.0.3.0
Webmail: 5.0.1.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.0.3.0
RSS: 5.0.0.0 (disabled)
SendMail: 5.0.3.0
Notification Voice: 5.0.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 5.0.3.0
AntiJunk: 5.0.3.0
Spell Checker: 5.0.3.0
Web of Trust: 5.0.3.0
PPTweaker: 5.0.3.0
Sent Mail Viewer: 5.0.0.0
PPbackup: 5.0.0.0
PPextras: 5.0.0.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Users\hf\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
xxxxxx [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 22]
- Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure) -- Edit account: pp://EditAccount?aGltZWdvdGFi Tip: Edit the account and enable OAuth2, or use the following link: Set Oauth2: pp://OAuth2?aGltZWdvdGFi
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi hime3,
Click on one of the two "Tip" links you see in your error (i.e. I would suggest the "Set Oauth2" tip link for example) - and then follow through with the ensuing steps you encounter to re-authorize the account.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

hime3 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:04 am Same gmail issue began this morning.
Confused how to proceed.
Did not find a satisfactory KB explanation.
hime
Both Gmail and YouTube went down this morning for about 30 minutes. They came back on line (at least for me) about 30 minutes ago.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Yea - I just read about that this morning about 15 minutes ago: Major Google Services Including Gmail, YouTube Experience Global Outage.
hime3

Post by hime3 »

yes, thanks, received gmail down news not long ago. Confusion was not knowing gmail down.
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

I don't know about anyone else who has been having the Gmail issues, but as of Friday my problem with Gmail losing connection several times a day has stopped. As I said upthread it would always fail to connect after my computer would wake from hibernation so a week ago I started turning PP off before I went to bed. And sometimes even then after waking the computer and turning PP back on Gmail would check messages, show any that had come through during the night, and then fail requiring me to restart PP after having just restarted it. Now everything is working AOK all through the day and night even after waking from hibernation.

Now the big question is, was it something that Google changed, something that changed with my computer, or what. The only thing I've done is I installed 2 other mail checkers on Friday to see if either of them would reproduce the same issue. After installing each and putting the computer into hibernation neither of them failed on Gmail. I had no interest in switching to either of them since they were not on the same level as PP in my opinion and neither of them could connect to my Yahoo accounts. I had a thought that maybe installing those programs may have changed a setting somewhere that corrected the issue with Gmail on PP. Who knows?

So, fingers crossed, hope it stays fixed.
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

I knew I should have kept my big mouth shut. This morning after the computer came out of hibernation, PP checked Gmail and retrieved the one message that was there and then promptly Gmail failed requiring me to restart PP.

Oh well, it could be worse.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Can you email me (support at esumsoft dot com, or use the contact form) and we'll look into this; although I'm taking this week off so I may not be able to help troubleshoot until next week.
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

I have figured out that whatever is causing all the problems for me is something specifically on the computer I was running PP on. I have since uninstalled PP on that computer and am running it full time on a laptop I use every day. It's been a week and so far not one issue.

That's the easy part. The hard part is figuring out why the other computer suddenly started causing PP to have so many problems. I uninstalled and reinstalled PP on that computer a couple of times and that did nothing. I've had a few other problems with that computer and was seriously considering doing a reset to reinstall Windows 10, but I've decided to just leave it alone and wait for the next major Windows update in a few months. I just can't face having to reinstall all the other programs running on that computer.
mjs

Post by mjs »

What security software is possibly different in any way between the two computers (Including settings) if any?

Are both computers using Windows 10?

Do the Gmail accounts in POP Peeper have the same settings in both computers?

Are both computers using the same version of POP Peeper?

Basically - what it is that you can come up with that might be different in any way between the two computers (i.e. do they use the same connections, are they using the same ISP etc etc)?
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

Both computers are basically twins. The only difference between the 2 machines is that the one giving me all the problems is a desktop unit and the other one is a laptop.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If everything is absolutely identical in every way between the desktop and laptop :-k ...

... :idea: -- then you should not be getting different results? :-s

Have you emailed Jeff as requested?
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

As I said before the desktop that PP suddenly stopped working properly on has been giving me other problems lately. Just 2 days ago I got a sudden close down notice saying that the system experienced an issue that required the computer to restart. I've never had that happen before. There's clearly some system issue with that machine. Microsoft will be doing a new major OS upgrade in the first half of 2021. Unless the system becomes so unstable that I'm forced to do a complete reset I believe that will correct whatever OS software issues I'm having now.

I'm not going to take up any more of Jeff's valuable time on this than I already have. PP is working fine on the laptop and that's satisfactory for me.

Thanks for your help!
mjs

Post by mjs »

It's good news that at least PP is working on your laptop. :wink:

It's of course entirely up to you -- but at some point based on what you have described regarding the desktop, you might consider looking into running a System File Checker (SFC) scan on your desktop (the link describes in detail what this does and how to do it). :idea:
mdv921

Post by mdv921 »

I've run an sfc scan twice on the desktop. Both times it found no errors. Go figure. :?