UFO has stolen the info?)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
tikhom

UFO has stolen the info?)

Post by tikhom »

Hi, i' need an advice to beat the following problem, reporting last half of a month.
What is the reason of noticing gaps in the list of incoming messages (fig.1 attached)?
Viewing the message under the blue stripe is as follows (fig.2 attached), hence unreadable.
Proceeding incoming post within original Communigate web interface makes no gaps, all issues readable.
Is it a problem at Server side or at a Clients'? Viral infection?

Regards and thanks.
Attachments
Fig2.jpg
Fig1.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: UFO has stolen the info?)

Post by Jeff »

Those are usually telltale signs that the database is corrupted. I would recommend deleting the database that that account belongs to:
1) From POP Peeper's main menu: select Tools / Options / Storage
2) Open the folder referenced by the "Data path" (in File Explorer)
3) Exit POP Peeper
4) Back in File Explorer that you opened in #2, you'll see a folder for each of your accounts; open the folder that belongs to the account that's affected
5) Delete the file named data.db
6) Restart POP Peeper

You'll notice that the messages are missing for the account that you deleted, but POP Peeper will re-sync with the account when it checks for mail.
tikhom

Post by tikhom »

Hi, thanks for your advice. All is correct now after renewing the database.
What may be a reason of such specific and selective corruption? Not the whole
database was jammed, but a few items... Proudly using Pop Pepper for years,
i have never met such an effect before. May the reason be in the huge database
size - 190Mb (~14000messages)?, not a World Record yet? :roll:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've never gotten any concrete information on why it happens, but one recent theory that I've tried to account for in v5 is if multiple sessions of PP run and both check mail and try to write the same data to the database. PP has always tried to prevent multiple instances from running, but there are cases where it could happen and so v5 will be more aggressive with preventing multiple instances.
May the reason be in the huge database size - 190Mb (~14000messages)?, not a World Record yet?
Probably not a world record :) My largest account only has 7000 messages but its file size is 296 MB. I've seen people who have 100,000 messages and who knows how big the DB is.
tikhom

Post by tikhom »

The last question is re PP v.5. Actually I am fully satisfied with v.4.5.3 not even using half of program's functionality.
Is there something like "wow" in v.5, that should move me to upgrade for the higher version? As an author you know
better the keen advantages. Will my license for the lower version work or not?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It is without a doubt, absolutely, 100%, unequivocally worth purchasing a license.
Full disclosure: my opinion may be biased.

For reference, the list of major v5 features are listed here:
https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... nformation

Search is the most notable new feature. I would imagine anyone who keeps 14000 messages would find it useful, too. Those who download their messages into a POP3 client probably wouldn't find it useful.

I initially took themes on as a "I probably wouldn't use it myself, but it would be an interesting challenge." Well, it's one of those things where once you get used to it, it's hard to go back.

Modeless view-message windows are nice. And something that should have been addressed a long time ago.

Rule Wizard will certainly be an under-appreciated feature. It's not something anyone is going to use too often, but for the times that I've used it (that is, legitimately had a need for it, not for testing purposes), I felt that it saved me a lot of time over the old way, to the point that I wouldn't have added most rules using the old method because it was just too inconvenient.

Oh, attaching images directly from the clipboard is one of my favorite new features. Although that is 99% of the time for tech support.

It all just depends on what you're looking for. If you have any specific questions, then just ask.

As for your license, ah, wow, one of the original "bundles" -- back when there was just Aeris and the Add-on Pack :D I would normally offer you a loyalty coupon, but there's actually a better coupon available for a limited time right now (applies to any of the products which includes POP Peeper Pro):
https://www.esumsoft.com/buy/?coupon=PPV5BETA