AOL Security Notice set for 10/20/20

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
dallas77us

AOL Security Notice set for 10/20/20

Post by dallas77us »

Ages ago, when it was a @ netscape dot com account, I was using it in a professional capacity. While it hasn't been my primary (or secondary) (or tertiary) email for a loooong time, I kept it active with some product news subscriptions when it migrated to @ aim dot com. Occasionally, I still get some email from folks I worked with back then. Today AOL services are owned by Verizon as is Yahoo! In fact, Pop Peeper hits internal-aol.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net for my AIM mail.

Anyhow, I just got in an email. Here's a pull quote:
We’ve noticed that you’re using non-AOL applications (such as third-party email, calendar, or contact applications) that may use a less secure sign-in method. To protect you and your data, AOL will no longer support the current sign-in functionality in your application starting on October 20, 2020. This means that you will need to take one of the steps below to continue using your AOL Mail without interruption.
For that "take one of the steps" part, two links were embedded :

https://help.aol.com/articles/Create-an ... p-password
https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-app ... re-sign-in

For me, it looks like a lot of work and I just might drop the account from Pop Peeper and check into it weekly with a browser. More active users may have to dig into the change.

Cheers.
Last edited by dallas77us on Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This time the Republic has gone too far." -Senator Amidala
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: AOL Security Notice set for 10/20/20

Post by Jeff »

They want you to use Oauth2. I contacted Verizon regarding Oauth2 support back in March (and previously in early 2019). I'm not going to publicly speak about this, but I can tell you that they have told me that it should be available this quarter. As such, there's a good chance it won't be available in the initial release of POP Peeper v5.0, and will have to be in a later update.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff - wouldn't users be able to use the top link posted above to have AOL generate a Password to be used in third-party email apps like POP Peeper by then editing the account in POP Peeper and entering the AOL generated Password for their AOL account (like I do with FastMail or Currently.com in PP for example).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

Jeff wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:08 pmThey want you to use Oauth2...won't be available in the initial release of POP Peeper v5.0, and will have to be in a later update.
Hi Jeff. Thanks for the fast reply. I posted up as Public Service as I won't use Pop Peeper for AOL/AIM come OCT 20. Hopefully this thread will be useful for the users who depend on AOL/AIM.

Pop Peeper continues to be a can't-do-without client for my seven other accounts. I have one mailbox for my house, but I need seven for teh intuhnetz. :roll:

BTW: HAPPY BIRTHDAY and thanks for the discount! I just made the buy and activated my installation. Looking forward to v5.0.

Cheers.
Last edited by dallas77us on Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:17 pm Jeff - wouldn't users be able to use the top link posted above to have AOL generate a Password to be used in third-party email apps like POP Peeper by then editing the account in POP Peeper and entering the AOL generated Password for their AOL account (like I do with FastMail or Currently.com in PP for example).
Yes, absolutely, and it's really not that difficult to do (in general, I haven't gone through AOL's process). You just go through their steps to create an app password and replace POP Peeper's password with that one.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Exactly what I was thinking -- it's a very easy process (at least for the Services I've done this with) so not something for anyone to be concerned about at all. The process of requesting the secure password is very easy and straightforward and then by simply doing a copy/paste of the generated password into the PP account you're done.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

Well, I finally got around to getting the secure password from AOL and it works A-OK in my Pop Peeper setup.

TIP: don't forget the password you were using 'cause if you log in to mail dot aol dot com with a browser, it'll want that one and not the one you got for Pop Peeper.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Thanks for the update dallas77us Image (easy-peasy process 8))
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

For the record, I have just emailed Verizon again to see if there is any information they can provide regarding Oauth2. That being said, the app-specific password may have certain convenience advantages over Oauth2 anyway (such as their apparent need to make you re-auth it every ~90 days).
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

Jeff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:44 pm re-auth it every ~90 days)
Aw rats. I just did the OAuth2 for Yahoo. I just might change that to the app-specific next time around.

Otherwise, I'm in no rush to see AOL OAuth2...

Cheers.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It's not too bad if you use the "web browser" method -- as long as you allow your webbrowser to store your account login (ie. you don't regularly clear cookies), then all you have to do is press a single button to grant PP permission. But, like I said, the app-password method should be sufficient.