Craigslist reply to email address

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

Craigslist reply to email address

Post by bbqbrisket »

I cannot directly reply to a Craigslist email address without separately copying the address, opening up PP and pasting it in the "to".
Is there anything I can do to allow PP to accept a Craigslist email response address?
thanks
Norm
spc3rd

Re: Craigslist reply to email address

Post by spc3rd »

Hello Norm,

A couple of questions for you:

1. Please explain exactly what happens if you attempt to reply directly to the CraigsList email address. If you are receiving an error message, please include the entire text of the error message in your next reply.

* If needed, instructions on how to include error message text in your post can be found in the following Sticky topic:

PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post

2. Which version of POP Peeper are you using?

Other members of The Esumsoft Team will likely drop by and have additional questions and provide feedback for you.

Thank you & best regards.
Global Moderator
mjs

Re: Craigslist reply to email address

Post by mjs »

I don't know much about Craigslist (I don't use it personally) -- but from what I can determine Craigslist uses what is referred to as a "two-way email relay" system. The goal is to provide a "cover" email address that is forwarded to the recipient's actual email address. By doing this (i.e. using a "proxy" email address) only Craiglists knows the actual email addresses of both parties thus protecting email address privacy and making sure both parties are legitimate.

Here is a website explaining this: How to Email People on Craigslist. Notice the comments if you scroll down this linked page to STEP 3 that sates -- if you do not use an alternate email program that is provided by Craiglist it says to "Copy and paste the “reply-to” address provided if you want to use an alternate email program." As well as if you scroll down further to STEP 4 where it states: "If you chose to copy and paste the reply-to address into an alternate email program, open your email client and copy/paste the reply-to address into the “To” field." (the latter of which appears to directly apply to your concerns expressed here in this topic).

As far as I can tell, because of the way Craigslist handles messages (as referenced above), it appears to me that you would apparently need to do what you have been doing when using PP.

This is as much as I can find on this -- other members of the Esumsoft Team may have more information on this beyond what I've provided.

Please provide the additional information requested by spc3rd (Pete), especially in regards to any PP errors if there are any as well as what it is that specifically occurs in more detail when attempting to reply directly.

Addendum: Here is what Graigslist has to say about what they refer to as their "email relay" procedure: https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/email-relay -- which is not nearly as detailed as the former link I posted above.
Last edited by mjs on Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add Addenum comments
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers