v.5 upd: SSL Plugin not installed

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
berlihingen

v.5 upd: SSL Plugin not installed

Post by berlihingen »

Just updated to v.5 – can't get mails because of "SSL not installed" error. "Update plugin" shows SSL as an available update but leads to the message "Nothing to update". Copying related dlls and SslCerts folder from v.4.5 changes nothing.
YourKoolPal

Re: v.5 upd: SSL Plugin not installed

Post by YourKoolPal »

Landed here to report the same thing! I have just paid for the upgrade and my excitement was short-lived :shock:
Please guide / fix.
Thanks

Log:
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.0.0.0
Webmail: 5.0.1.0
SSL:
IMAP: 5.0.0.0
RSS: 5.0.0.0
SendMail: 5.0.0.0
Notification Voice: 5.0.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 5.0.0.0
AntiJunk: 5.0.0.0
Spell Checker: 5.0.0.0
Web of Trust: 5.0.0.0
PPTweaker: 5.0.0.0
Sent Mail Viewer: 5.0.0.0
PPbackup: 5.0.0.0
PPextras: 5.0.0.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: F:\MyLocalApps\POPPeeperProPlus-Install-v50\
Data folder: F:\MyLocalApps\POPPeeperProPlus-Install-v50\data\

--- Error ---
- SSL connection failed (SSL Plugin is not loaded) Install SSL: pp://AutoUpdate?ssl
mjs

Post by mjs »

You could try installing the SSL Plugin from here: https://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-p ... ugins/#SSL.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
acidosolforico

Post by acidosolforico »

Same problem here: SSL doesn't work in IMAP SSL port 993 after update. I tried to reinstall, no way. The old version 4 works well with the same accounts.

The error says: SSL not installed.

I think there is an issue....

Best Regards
mjs

Post by mjs »

Please wait for Jeff to look into this further and thanks for reporting the issue.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, berlihingen & acidosolforico!

While awaiting Jeff's review of the issues you are both reporting (as lakrsrool has previously mentioned) - as our newest members, The Esumsoft Team requests that you please review the following Sticky topic:

Information for new users and forum members

The article contains important, helpful information which all members should be aware of. If you have any questions or comments, do let us know.

Thank you & welcome aboard! :)
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Several people have reported this issue. I don't have any confirmation yet, so please provide any details you can.

I suspect that you may have a firewall blocking access from POP Peeper (and the installer) to esumsoft.com. So, if you're running a software firewall, you may want to try temporarily disabling it and see if the AutoUpdate method works. I'd appreciate feedback on this so that I can get confirmation as to whether the problem is firewall related or not.

POP Peeper v5 uses different SSL files than v4 (SSL v1.1 is not compatible with SSL v1.0) -- the Plugins webpage has not been updated yet so it's still going to provide the old, incompatible plugins.

If disabling your firewall doesn't work, you can manually install the plugin. Download the zip here:
https://update.esumsoft.com/POPPeeper/d ... sl111g.zip

Exit POP Peeper first, then copy both files from the zip into the main folder where you've installed POP Peeper, which is usually:
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Restart POP Peeper and go to Help / About and make sure that SSL is listed and that the "current" version is 1.1.1.7 -- if it is, then your accounts should work.
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

I installed SSL manually and that works.
However, update seems to not work properly. I get same error trying to install the notification skin update when I click "Auto Update".
It was the same when I tried to update SSL. Firewall is off.

When I click OK, it closes and PP restarts.

Gigios

Post by Gigios »

I installed manually the SSL plugin and now works, thanks.

I have tested the update process on my home PC, where I'm able to disable all the firewalls, but without success.
Also if it's shown an update, after the close of the main app, the update window is empty.
berlihingen

Post by berlihingen »

Yup, with the zip provided v.5 works now.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Dixon Butz wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 pm I installed SSL manually and that works.
However, update seems to not work properly. I get same error trying to install the notification skin update when I click "Auto Update".
It was the same when I tried to update SSL. Firewall is off.
Thanks for reporting back your success at installing the SSL plugin.Image As to the other update -- try updating the Notification Skin from HERE (and let us know if this resolved this update issue).
Btw, I like your cat! :wink: Image (Buddy is his name?)
mjs

Post by mjs »

berlihingen wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:06 am Yup, with the zip provided v.5 works now.
Thanks for letting us know. Image
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Note: Regarding anyone else having problems with the Auto-Update installing the SSL plugin update for V5 (which should work) -- the Plugin Page (I previously linked above) has been updated to accommodate the manual SLL plugin for V5 so it can now be manually downloaded from the plugin page HERE (using the SSL "download it" link on the PP Plugins page).
mjs

Post by mjs »

Gigios wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 am I installed manually the SSL plugin and now works, thanks.

I have tested the update process on my home PC, where I'm able to disable all the firewalls, but without success.
Also if it's shown an update, after the close of the main app, the update window is empty.
Thanks for letting us know the manual SSL plugin update worked for you. So does this resolve your issues with the update process?
Gigios

Post by Gigios »

lakrsrool wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:10 am
Gigios wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 am I installed manually the SSL plugin and now works, thanks.

Thanks for letting us know the manual SSL plugin update worked for you. So does this resolve your issues with the update process?
Unfortunately the update problem still present.
What I have seen is that, in the Activation page, the flag to use the Auto-update still disabled!
If I enable the Notification Skin in the plugin page (normally I don't use this plugin), and open the About box, check the update, it's shown the messagio about an available update [ Skin Notifier (v4.3 -> v5.0.0.1002) ], but if I press the Auto-Update button the program is closed and the following window show the MessageBox with the message: "There were no updates specified."
acidosolforico

Post by acidosolforico »

I tried to manually install the last SSL plugin, but it doesn't work. This is the log:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.0.0.0
Webmail: 5.0.1.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.0.0.0
SendMail: 5.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 5.0.0.0
AntiJunk: 5.0.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 5.0.0.0
Web of Trust: 5.0.0.0
PPTweaker: 5.0.0.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: D:\Programmi\POP Peeper\
Data folder: D:\Programmi\POP Peeper\data\

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 16:06:56 - 16:06:57 (1 s) (+0200)
Data: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 07:06:57 -0700

--- Error ---
FW XXXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap.fastwebnet.it' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.fastwebnet.it' (25) SSL: 0] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- Connessione SSL fallita (è stato caricato il Plugin SSL?)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using the same account with PopPeeper v4 the IMAP/SSL works very well.
mjs

Post by mjs »

acidosolforico - apparently the SSL plugin installed correctly (since you are using SSL 1.1.1.7). Is this error caused by incoming message (incoming settings appear OK) or outgoing message? -- I notice that your SMTP setting is using Port 25 (insecure port not using SSL); is this what you intended to use for your "Send Mail" settings?

Your error message is (translated): "SSL connection failed (Has the SSL Plugin been loaded?)".

Do you have the "SSL" plugin enabled (checked) in "Tools" > "Plugins" (from the main menu)?

Btw, thank you for providing the error info.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

For anybody that has a problem with auto-update suggesting that there's no update, could you please do the following:
When you get to the prompt in the auto-updater that says, "There were no updates specified" and the only option is to press OK
Hold down Ctrl+Shift while you press the OK button.

You won't get any indication that anything different happened, but at this point, open a text editor and use "Paste". Then, please also paste the results of that log in your reply (actually, I don't think it does, but this *may* contain personal information, so if you want to be safe, you may want to send me a PM or send it to me via email, support at esumsoft dot com).

Also, in order for me to try to duplicate, can you let me know if you guys have the Plus Pack and/or Pro ACTIVATED for v5? It's not necessary for either of these 2 plugins (and probably irrelevant during Pro Trial), but I just want to make sure I'm testing the same procedure.

I'm not able to duplicate the problem with the skin notifier or SSL using auto-update. Using the free version (and this is with Shareware already expired), here's the process I took (for tracking):
1) Installed Ppv5 to a new folder, deleted the SSL files and installed Skin Notifier v4.3
2) Created a new ini file
3) Went to Help / About and pressed "Check version"
4) It told me there was an update for Skin notifier so I went through the process successfully:
PPv5_AutoUpdateSkinNotifier.png
5) Next, I added a gmail account
6) Tried to check mail it and got the expected error that SSL wasn't installed
7) Pressed the link that the error prompt gave me to auto-update. It also went smoothly.
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

Ctrl + Shift
[20200910 13:46:14] Initializing: [dir: D:\No Install Startup Apps\POP Peeper] [packages: skin] [ver: ]
[20200910 13:46:15] Starting Thread
[20200910 13:46:15] Initializing Package Info
[20200910 13:46:15] Process results: [return: 0] [update: 0] [No more packages]
[20200910 13:46:15] Exiting Thread

I don't have pro or plus pack.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Well, that was not as detailed as I would have liked (not your fault). Would you be willing to do further troubleshooting by installing new updates and relaying any additional logs back? The updates would come through auto-update; hopefully, assuming that it works, otherwise you may have to install them manually (not difficult, but it's what auto-update is supposed to avoid). This goes for anyone else having the problem, too, but I'd prefer to do this via email, so please email me at (support at esumsoft dot com).