Pop Peeper V.5 blocks HTML images

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
J.Bruyn

Pop Peeper V.5 blocks HTML images

Post by J.Bruyn »

Hello Guys,

This morning I got your message that Version 5.0 of Pop Peeper is available. So I installed the update. But without having changed any setting, now all my e-mails are only displayed in text, without images. I found in the Tools/Options/View Messages settings. Smart HTML viewing is set. When I disable this setting, everything is as before. As soon I set it on again no matter with Smart view setting (Show all images / or Use HTLM settings below) all images are blocked. It is not a big issue because it is also easy to override by double clicking the topline above the messages. However it is strange that
all the messages from many different senders wouldn't be legitimate. it's not a big thing, but I just wanted to let you know.

Regards, Jan
mjs

Re: Pop Peeper V.5 blocks HTML images

Post by mjs »

Thank you for letting us know.

How did you update PP to v5? (did you install in the same location as before).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Smart HTML is a feature of Pro. When you updated to v5, you're using the Pro trial, so Smart HTML has been (re-)enabled.

For your protection, Smart HTML will show messages as HTML if both:
1) The message was evaluated (or marked) as Legitimate
2) The sender is in your whitelist or address book
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

i have this issue with RSS too, am looking now to see if i can add addresses to my whitelist.

edit, no i cannot add URL's to my whitelist. :-(
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello pop_pepper,

What exactly happens when you attempt to add a URL to your Whitelist?

Other members of The Esumsoft Team may drop by to provide additional feedback on the issue you're having.

Thank you.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yeah, the problem with RSS feeds is that there is no email address to whitelist and, as mentioned above, a whitelisted email address is required to activate Smart HTML. tbh, 90% of my email is from non-whitelisted senders, so I've never thought twice about having to double-click to access the HTML (and only occasionally do I need to do so for the feeds I use).

I see 2 (future) solutions for this:
1) Automatically assume that RSS feeds are whitelisted
2) Provide an option that assumes RSS feeds are whitelisted

Preferring text before html except when necessary, I'm not a big fan of #1 but, otoh, I'm also becoming aware of trying to not overcrowd the options. Although I could put the option in PPtweaker or maybe even create settings for RSS in the plugin itself. It may not be super obvious but at least the option is available when someone (inevitably) asks how to change it.

Thoughts or feedback?
mjs

Post by mjs »

I would go with creating settings for RSS in the plugin itself (other plugins include relevant settings - so why not for RSS as well?).

Addendum: btw, I didn't even put 2+2 together regarding the banner requirement as to how it relates to the "whitelist" since I just automatically click on banner to read the only feed I've had up until today. :)
Last edited by mjs on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add Addendum comments
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
J.Bruyn

Post by J.Bruyn »

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your explanation. I now understand how "Smart view works". I have whitelisted the emails from known (safe) senders, and it works like you say, the images in that messages now are shown. I think it's an excellent tool, It adds extra safety to Pop Peeper.

Apologies for my ignorance!

Greetings, Jan