v5 - Loading - Please wait....on launch

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
YourKoolPal

v5 - Loading - Please wait....on launch

Post by YourKoolPal »

Hi,

With v5 I often see the Loading - Please wait prompt on starting the app for the first time during the day.

Earlier versions would just launch (or would not show this prompt)

Is there some setting I should change somewhere?
POP Peeper - loading.png
POP Peeper - loading.png (6.68 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
Thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: v5 - Loading - Please wait....on launch

Post by Jeff »

The prompt is there to let the user know that it's loading. There were a significant-enough number of support requests in which it was thought that PP wasn't doing anything. So, this minimized window will appear to let you know that something is happening. After a long enough time, the prompt shows itself (2 minutes).

So is it the "minimized" window you have an issue with, or is it the "popup" (after 2 minutes). I would certainly be willing to re-consider the 2nd stage popup, as it is probably unnecessary. Otherwise, what's wrong with the minimized window? Just personal preference, or does it cause interference, etc?
YourKoolPal

Post by YourKoolPal »

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, Jeff!

Minimized window is fine. Helps a great deal as there were occasions in the earlier version where I would end up clicking PP multiple times thinking it has not launched :)

Please reconsider and remove 2nd stage popup (after 2 minutes). It does not add any value.

Thanks a lot!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Yo - I've been thinking about this prompt (I've always liked knowing something is going on, so I very much like the idea of the notification prompt Image).

But -- I've never seen it myself :-k -- I'm kind of jealous... I'd like to see it too.... :lol:

Jeff - could the reason I never see this prompt be either one of these two reasons below (presumably neither should matter - but I can't think of anything else that might be a factor):
1) I use the encryption option in POP Peeper?
2) I use a PP shortcut on the Windows task bar?

I just now timed a PP start-up in my case and from the time I get the Encryption Key prompt (which only takes a second) until when I get the PP main window displayed -- it takes about 30 seconds (transpired time from encryption key prompt to the rendering of the PP main window).

Except for the two possibilities enumerated above -- shouldn't I be getting this (notification) prompt as well?

Off-topic: As I said -- I've always liked the idea of getting some kind of notification when time (delay) is involved before results happen where otherwise there isn't any notification of what's going on. For example I even use a Splash Screen (so I see something going on) for my browser of choice because of the delay involved completing the load, even though now it's only around a 7 second delay (the splash screen has something to do with my wife as well because it used to take longer to load the browser and I wanted to avoid her sometimes starting more than one browser instance which would be the case some of the time because of the formerly longer delay loading the browser absent any acknowledgement it's in the process of loading).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I will most likely remove the 2-minute popup.

lakrsrool -- not sure why you haven't seen it. I *think* that if you force a DB compact, you should see it on the next start: Tools / Options / Storage, "force compact on next start" (I don't guarantee it, though).
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:58 pm ... lakrsrool -- not sure why you haven't seen it. I *think* that if you force a DB compact, you should see it on the next start: Tools / Options / Storage, "force compact on next start" (I don't guarantee it, though).
Mystery solved - it does show up minimized in my PP short-cut pinned to my Windows Task Bar:
Shows up on a short-cut hover - if I clicked on the short-cut I'd see it.png
Shows up on a short-cut hover - if I clicked on the short-cut I'd see it.png (43.46 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
If I were to click on the Short-cut it would open and I'd see it.... (Win10 just happen to send me a notification that I needed to reboot for an update to complete - so during the boot, I decided to hover the PP short-cut and viola there it is.... \:D/)

So apparently it was "reason #2":
lakrsrool wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 am Jeff - could the reason I never see this prompt be either one of these two reasons below (presumably neither should matter - but I can't think of anything else that might be a factor):
1) I use the encryption option in POP Peeper?
2) I use a PP shortcut on the Windows task bar?
(I'm presuming it would otherwise render absent using the Task Bar shortcut :-k -- glad to know it's working... =D>)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers