Polling Interval Dialogue Won't Go Away

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
dallas77us

Polling Interval Dialogue Won't Go Away

Post by dallas77us »

POP Peeper Pro 5.0.0.0 from POPPeeperPro-v50.zip
Windows 10 Pro 1909 (10.0.18363.1016)

I keep POP Peeper in the tray.

Ever since I graded from 4.5.3.0, every time I wake my PC from hibernate, there's a dialogue box on the desktop:
The polling interval is currently set to 0. Do you want to enable AutoCheck by setting the polling to the default value? Yes. No.

I've always had it set to 0.

I doubled checked the Lapse value in poppeeper.ini and it's zero.

I've been selecting No, which is a minor annoyance. But I'd like to be rid of the yes/no thing.

Scheduling is set to "Do not check mail immediately."

What to do?? Thanks!
"This time the Republic has gone too far." -Senator Amidala
mjs

Re: Polling Interval Dialogue Won't Go Away

Post by mjs »

So you have never used "Mail Check" to retrieve your messages in PP?
These are my settings
These are my settings
Mail check used.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
Note: "Mail Check Polling Interval set to "0" disables the automated "Mail Check".

So what do you do to get your messages? Apparently you must be running a manual Mail Check all the time?

Is there a reason why you prefer not to have automatic "Mail Checks" scheduled?

To answer your question -- I can understand your dilemma (in regards to the prompt).

One might think that answering the "Do you want to enable AutoCheck by setting the polling to the default value? Yes. No." question (entering "No" in your case) would set a parameter to reflect your preference and not prompt again.

This is perhaps an unanticipated problem since setting the Mail Check "Polling Interval" to "0" would seem to me to be such an unlikely event. It is apparently presumed that doing so is an oversight on the part of the user and would not be something anyone would typically do. :wink: (my guess this check has been added in v5 in consideration that most if not all users would prefer to have "Mail Checks" occur - hence not want the setting at "0".)

With that said --- Other members of the Esumsoft Team may have additional comments to contribute on this.
Last edited by mjs on Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited the "Note:" line to the post for additional clarity
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

Thanks for the fast reply!

Note: "Mail Check Polling Interval set to "0" disables "Mail Check".
That's what I've always had and have that set to. I referred to the Lapse zero value to confirm it exists in the ini file. And to proclaim my astute and profound knowledge of POP Peeper's underpinnings. :mrgreen:

So what do you do to get your messages? Apparently you must be running a manual Mail Check all the time?
Yup. Manual all the time.

Is there are reason why you prefer not to have automatic "Mail Checks" scheduled?
I'm a control freak. 8)

Apparently, the "0" disables "Mail Check" got broke in v5.
mjs

Post by mjs »

dallas77us wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:34 pm Thanks for the fast reply!

Note: "Mail Check Polling Interval set to "0" disables "Mail Check".
That's what I've always had and have that set to. I referred to the Lapse zero value to confirm it exists in the ini file. And to proclaim my astute and profound knowledge of POP Peeper's underpinnings. :mrgreen:

Yup. Manual all the time.

Is there are reason why you prefer not to have automatic "Mail Checks" scheduled?
I'm a control freak. 8)

Apparently, the "0" disables "Mail Check" got broke in v5.
You very welcome...

In regards to your last comment -- I think there's some confusion that needs to be cleared up. Setting the "Polling Interval" to "0" only disables automatic (scheduled) "Mail Checks" -- it does not and was not intended to disable the ability to do "Manual" Mail Checks of course. There would be no reason to prevent the ability to do "Manual" Mail Checks as you do. (that's the way it's been for all versions of PP as far as I'm aware -- apparently the dialog prompt is new for v5 however)

So then based on your preference to never have automated "Mail Checks" occur -- the question remains regarding the issue of getting the "Do you want to enable AutoCheck by setting the polling to the default value? Yes. No." question repeatedly after responding to the dialog prompt.

You mentioned that you get this dialog box "... every time I wake my PC from hibernate". That's an interesting point as I'm not personally sure why this dialog prompt would necessarily occur at that time besides the fact the dialog prompt remains persistent under this condition (other than my surmising that it is not expected that anyone would not want automated Mail Checks).

Hopefully other members of the Esumsoft Team may have more to say on this point.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

dallas77us -- thanks for the information. A few others have reported this as well and this has been fixed for the next release.
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

Hi Jeff.

I did a few searches here without results, so I didn't know you had received reports on this behavior. I thought it might be unique in that I'm one of those weirdos who use hibernate. And even weirder, it seems, only want to check on my email when I want to. There was once a time when services blasted out alerts via email, so a consistent and timely check was important. Now those services use messaging. You know, ID theft, security sensors & cams, credit cards, etc. etc. Now my mobile phone controls me, not my email client. :mrgreen:

My 1.5 cents: a "don't ask again" checkbox is a popular method. Unless just tanking the dialogue altogether, as it was in previous versions, is an easier fix.

Oh good. Phone sez my pizza's on the way...

Cheers!
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

As I rarely use the File menu, I just noticed for the first time that Autocheck enabled is checked under the File menu. I can't even recall if that item was in v4 or earlier.

It's persistent as when I uncheck it, close exit Pop Peeper and re-open re-start Pop Peeper, it is again checked.

When unchecked, the polling interval dialogue no longer appears when I bring the PC out of hibernation.

Anyhow, as I always keep Pop Peeper running and that unchecked, I won't be seeing the dialogue unless I close exit Pop Peeper for system maintenance, Windows updates or something.

Just reporting my observation, just in case. No reply expected.

Cheers.
Last edited by dallas77us on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I am unable to confirm what you have described.

The "File" > "Autocheck enabled" option coincides with the "Autocheck Enabled" (green/red) ball icon in the very lower-right corner of the main PP interface (green = "Autocheck" enabled / red = "Autocheck" disabled).

If I uncheck this option (using either method - the "menu" method, you have referenced, or the ball method I've mentioned) the setting remains intact as far as what I have selected in either case when I close and re-open the PP Interface (i.e. if I uncheck this option - it remains unchecked after closing and re-opening PP).

To be clear, when you say "close Pop Peeper and re-open Pop Peeper" you do NOT mean "exiting" PP (that is for example NOT using the "File" > "Exit" or tray icon right-click context menu "Exit" [which ends the PP process] but rather I presume you are saying that you are closing the PP interface via the "red X" within the main PP control buttons in the upper-right corner of the main PP interface [thus PP process continues to run]) -- which is what I tested and cannot confirm.

If what you mean by "polling interval dialogue" what you see in the PP main interface "status" line (at the bottom of the interface) you will see either "Time remaining until next mail check" or "AutoCheck is disabled" depending upon what setting you are using for the "Autocheck" option. Is this what you mean by "polling interval dialogue"? If not can you include what specific dialogue you are referencing?
mjs

Post by mjs »

As I recall now - you do not use an "Autocheck" as your polling Interval is set to "0".

If you were to check the option "Autocheck" you will get this dialog:
If polling Interval is set to '0' produced this dialog if autocheck in enabled.png
If polling Interval is set to '0' produced this dialog if autocheck in enabled.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
Which I presume you will respond to with a "No" (since you do not want messages polled) hence the "Autocheck" will remain unchecked (disabled) in your case.

I'm confused by your mentioning you are unchecking (disabling) the "Autocheck" option (when you don't use this option in the first place). Based on my understanding as to how you use PP - this option would never be checked in your case.
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

That is exactly the dialogue (and as I described in my OP) that appears on my desktop when I bring my PC out of hibernation if Autocheck enabled is checked (green ball).

I edited my previous post to clear up the close/exit context.

That Autocheck enabled is checked (green ball) when I run Pop Peeper even though it was unchecked (red ball) upon exit is absolutely my experience.

I don't know how to explain it in any greater detail or eloquence and don't care to engage in any further discussion unless Jeff needs additional info. I appreciate your efforts, but your valuable time will be better spent in other topics.

In that the setting is directly related to the display of the dialogue prompted me to post up the experience in that anyone having the same, as Jeff has reported, can determine if the setting persistence exists for them and then uncheck it as a workaround to the dialogue annoyance.

Cheers.
mjs

Post by mjs »

dallas77us - first off, please do not feel obliged in any way to "engage in any further discussion" (as you put it) with me directly just because I choose to continue to contribute to this topic regardless of your admonition that my time would "be better spent in other topics". :lol:

Now that it has been clarified that your issue involves actually exiting and restarting PP - I have now tested your precise behavior (setting the polling interval to "0" - so that the "Autocheck" would as a result be disabled as we know) and I find that I still do not get the same result as you do (after exiting/restarting PP). I do not get the dialogue you are concerned about and the "Autocheck" remains unchecked (disabled) as before. I do not see how the "hibernate" state would have any direct impact on the results.

This is not to say that I doubt your results dallas77us in any way -- I am simply reporting that under the same circumstances I do not appear to get the same results in this case either (i.e. exiting/restarting PP). I'm sure there is an explanation as to why you are getting different results (which perhaps can be explained by Jeff).

Of course in my case in v5.0 (with the polling interval set to a number as opposed to "0" as in the case of dallas77us) if I set "Autocheck" to disabled (unchecked) it will in fact be enabled (checked) after exiting/restarting PP (which is perhaps OK in as much as the expectation is that "Autocheck" should be enabled if polling for messages is used). That is in part also because changing the polling setting from "0" to any number will automatically "enable" a formerly disabled "Autocheck" function simply as a result of making that change (having nothing at all to do with an exit/restart of PP).

Note: This is for Jeff - for the record I am testing this in version 5.0 (on this specific computer I am not using neither of the next two future releases, of which as I recall the issue discussed here is addressed in v5.0.1). I'm simply posting this as an FYI in regards to these specific issues. I would add the caveat that I had expected to get the same results as dallas77us on the basis that I am still using 5.0 that presumably has these issues discussed in this topic. So there's that dilemma. :?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

dallas77us -- Sorry for not following up in this topic sooner, but there is a change in v5.0.1 that should fix this. If you have a Pro license, see the following post for information to update (currently v5.0.2):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7525

If you do not have Pro, please email me (support at esumsoft dot com) and I'll get that version to you so that you can confirm the fix. This goes for anyone else experiencing this issue or any other issue listed as fixed.