Ctrl + Delete Shortcut & PPTweaker Settings

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
dallas77us

Ctrl + Delete Shortcut & PPTweaker Settings

Post by dallas77us »

POP Peeper Pro 5.0.0.0 from POPPeeperPro-v50.zip
Windows 10 Pro 1909 (10.0.18363.1016)

Been wanting to find out about this one for a long time, but I've been kinda lazy. Since I posted up another topic just now, might as well toss this in...

I'm wanting to change the Ctrl + Delete account deletion shortcut as the delete key is just under the insert key where Ctrl + Insert does a "Message: Mark all read." It's easy whack the Delete by accident which happens a lot to my cousin's sister's brother who uses Ctrl + Insert all the time. :mrgreen:

I've scrolled through all the Commands and can't find an a Ctrl + Delete Current Key shortcut and the only Account Commands are Add and Edit.

What to do??

BTW, where are Pp Tweaker settings stored? There's a [PPTweaker] section in popeeper.ini with only "LastPage = 5" under it.

Thanks!
"This time the Republic has gone too far." -Senator Amidala
mjs

Re: Ctrl + Delete Shortcut & PPTweaker Settings

Post by mjs »

The PPTweaker setting can be found from the main menu under "Tools" > "PPtweaker..." - where you can find "Hotkeys" settings.

Btw, in most cases it's not necessary to go to the ini file to make changes - as most settings are available via PP GUI's (and it's also recommended if you do open the ini file to exit PP prior to making changes in the ini file).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

lakrsrool wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:20 pmThe PPTweaker setting can be found from the main menu under "Tools" > "PPtweaker..." - where you can find "Hotkeys" settings.
Yes, I know. That's exactly why I could report that that's where it is where I can't find an associated Command for Ctrl + Delete.

I refer to ini files for verification. I've lost count for how many times over the decades where GUI settings didn't set to ini files. Hence my BTW inquiry on where PPTweaker settings reside.

Cheers.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You can change the Delete Shortcut key under "Tools" > "PPtweaker..." > "Shortcuts" Window as illustrated in the Screen-shot below:
Select "Message" for the "Message Window" shortcuts then select the shortcut "Delete message" to change the Shortcut key combination of your choice
Select "Message" for the "Message Window" shortcuts then select the shortcut "Delete message" to change the Shortcut key combination of your choice
In the "Message" Window Interface settings select the command you want to change ("Delete message" in this case) then enter the new Shortcut Key you prefer and click the "Assign" button to assign the new shortcut value.

These settings are most likely maintained in the PPtweaker DLL file (as applied by the PP software - a best guess on my part). Suffice to way -- the steps above will accomplish what you want. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

the steps above will accomplish what you want
Thanks for your efforts, but...

No. Not Ctrl + D. Ctrl + Delete. NOT message deletion - ACCOUNT deletion.
PopPeeperCtrlDel.jpg
In the main screen, highlight an account, hold the Ctrl and tap Delete. (Release the Ctrl key.)

I just really don't have any other way of expressing my inquiry with any greater eloquence or detail.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You misunderstand (the screen-shot I posted was the shortcut I have for deleting messages in the Message Viewer window) -- I wasn't suggesting you use what I have (which I presume is the default -- and is what you don't want as I understand it :?).

Based on what you just posted as your preference -- enter the following (ctrl+Del-key):
Enter the Delete Message shortcut you want.png
This is what you want to accomplish -- right?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Nope :roll: -- I'm the one misunderstanding (pictures are said to be worth a thousand words -- but you have to look at the picture for this adage to work #-o ... and not just the first few words posted [-X) -- clearly this is not what you are asking about (now that I pay more attention to your screen-shot as well as what was stated) - sorry for the confusion - my bad! :oops:

You want to either disable or change the main window shortcut "ctrl+delete" shortcut that triggers the function to delete an email account. -- got it (at least I hope I do :D)

Well for this -- you've got me!! I'm not familiar with this setting or where it can be accessed to change.

Hopefully other members of the Esumsoft Team will check-in and provide answers for you. [-o<
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ctrl+Delete is hard-coded. However, it's only effective when the Accounts List has the focus; ie. if you click on a message and press Ctrl+Del, then nothing happens. Under typical behavior (at least what I would assume is typical behavior), I wouldn't expect the account list to have the focus very often.

So there's some back-story on this: once upon a time, the shortcut to delete accounts was simply "delete". Someone said something about how it could be easily misinterpreted as deleting a message (ok, the details escape me now, but it made perfect sense at the time) and that they'd like to see a different shortcut for deleting accounts, and I obliged; hence, Ctrl+Del.

In order for the user to be able to modify this shortcut, the shortcut will need to change to app-focus, meaning that if I changed it, then Ctrl+Del would allow deleting the account even if the message list had the focus. This would probably cause more people to want to change it then as it is now (ie. I suspect that you're not the only ones accidentally pressing Ctrl+Del instead of Ctrl+Ins, but in most cases, it won't do anything because the Account List doesn't have the focus, so it doesn't affect the user).
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the details.

I suspected it was hard-coded in that it didn't appear in the shortcut settings. Now I understand your strategy.

I have nine email accounts set up in Pop Peeper. It is possible to overlook that an account can be highlighted when invoking a Message: Mark all read and accidentally hitting the delete instead of the insert. And then in haste whacking enter for the dialogue where Yes is the default, forgetting there is no dialogue for marking all read.

Just thinking out loud, change to No as the default selection?

Anyhow, I'm still curious as to where the PPTweaker settings are stored. There's a [PPTweaker] section in popeeper.ini with only "LastPage = 5" under it.

Thanks!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Perhaps someday I'll refine that, but for now, since you apparently use Mark read frequently, perhaps a different work-around would be to change the hotkey for Mark Read? (I know, the change in muscle memory would take some time to get used to... :) )

As for the ini structure, the PPtweaker settings are not differentiated from regular settings (ie. [POPPEEPER]). I've moved settings between regular and PPtweaker settings in the past and probably will again in the future, so it wouldn't have made sense to separate them.