Junk Mail settings not being saved

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
n8chavez

Junk Mail settings not being saved

Post by n8chavez »

It seems as though anti-junk settings are not being saved in PopPeeper Pro, version 5.0.1. (this might have been an issue before this version, but I never tried it.) If you go to Tools > Antinjunk / Rules > Settings, then alter some settings such as Blacklist < "Blacklist email addresses when I mark messages as junk", Bayesian < Altering the aggression slider to 1.75, or Actions < altering any setting there, I'd expect these changes to be saved once I click the "ok" button. However, they are not. After altering some settings, I can go right back in to Tools > Antinjunk / Rules > Settings and see that none of the changes I just made were retained.
1.png
Can anyone else confirm this?
mjs

Re: Junk Mail settings not being saved

Post by mjs »

In my case I am unable to confirm what you describe. As is the case with v5.0.0 - if the settings you have referenced are changed in v5.0.1 and the "OK" button is then pressed the change(s) are retained.

You mentioned the following: "I can go right back in to Tools > AntiJunk / Rules > Settings and see that none of the changes I just made were retained.". So this occurs during the time you have the same session open for PP (based on "I can go right back to..." the same settings and the changes are not retained which is to say you immediately return to the same settings after changing them to find the setting not changed?)

Have you tried Exiting/Restarting PP or better yet rebooting your computer - to see if this makes a difference?

If no help doing the above then try the following steps below:
1) Go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" and post in this topic the path values you have for both: a) Ini Location and b) Data path. If you do not see "Program files" at the beginning of the path values continue to the next step.
2) Using the File Explorer navigate to your "poppeeper.ini" file (again the ini file location is found in "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" as mentioned above).
3) Select (click on) the "poppeeper.ini" file in the File Explorer and then right-click the 'poppeeper.ini' file and select "Properties" at the bottom of the context menu.
4a) At the bottom of the "Properties" Interface (using General tab) where you see "Attributes", check to see that the "Read-only" box is not enabled (checked).
4b) Note: if the "Read-only" is enabled, then disable (uncheck) the "Read-only" to see if this helps solve the issue you are having saving changes.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

lakrsrool wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:21 am In my case I am unable to confirm what you describe. As is the case with v5.0.0 - if the settings you have referenced are changed in v5.0.1 and the "OK" button is then pressed the change(s) are retained.

You mentioned the following: "I can go right back in to Tools > AntiJunk / Rules > Settings and see that none of the changes I just made were retained.". So this occurs during the time you have the same session open for PP (based on "I can go right back to..." the same settings and the changes are not retained which is to say you immediately return to the same settings after changing them to find the setting not changed?)

Have you tried Exiting/Restarting PP or better yet rebooting your computer - to see if this makes a difference?

If no help doing the above then try the following steps below:
1) Go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" and post in this topic the path values you have for both: a) Ini Location and b) Data path. If you do not see "Program files" at the beginning of the path values continue to the next step.
2) Using the File Explorer navigate to your "poppeeper.ini" file (again the ini file location is found in "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" as mentioned above).
3) Select (click on) the "poppeeper.ini" file in the File Explorer and then right-click the 'poppeeper.ini' file and select "Properties" at the bottom of the context menu.
4a) At the bottom of the "Properties" Interface (using General tab) where you see "Attributes", check to see that the "Read-only" box is not enabled (checked).
4b) Note: if the "Read-only" is enabled, then disable (uncheck) the "Read-only" to see if this helps solve the issue you are having saving changes.
Thank you for the detailed reply. Something you said triggered a thought for me that solved my problem. As I said, if I alter the settings I want then click "Ok" then go right back in those settings changes are not retained. However, if I alter the settings I want then click "Ok" then after that hit the red X on the upper right, to exit the gui, then restore the gui, those settings seems to be retained that way. I'm not sure why that is, or why it works, but it seems to.

Thanks!
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

n8chavez wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:47 pm It seems as though anti-junk settings are not being saved in PopPeeper Pro, version 5.0.1. (this might have been an issue before this version, but I never tried it.) If you go to Tools > Antinjunk / Rules > Settings, then alter some settings such as Blacklist < "Blacklist email addresses when I mark messages as junk", Bayesian < Altering the aggression slider to 1.75, or Actions < altering any setting there, I'd expect these changes to be saved once I click the "ok" button. However, they are not. After altering some settings, I can go right back in to Tools > Antinjunk / Rules > Settings and see that none of the changes I just made were retained.

1.png

Hello n8chavez,

In addition to what lakrsrool has requested above,.....

Since you are reporting that changes you may make in specific settings - as shown in red font above - are not being saved, it would be helpful if you would include screenshots of THOSE particular settings - both before you make any change and after you make a change.

Please include a description of the specific change you are making to a given setting.
The screenshot you have provided in your OP is of the [GENERAL] page only.

Thank you and best regards.
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

n8chavez wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:12 am ... Thank you for the detailed reply. Something you said triggered a thought for me that solved my problem. As I said, if I alter the settings I want then click "Ok" then go right back in those settings changes are not retained. However, if I alter the settings I want then click "Ok" then after that hit the red X on the upper right, to exit the gui, then restore the gui, those settings seems to be retained that way. I'm not sure why that is, or why it works, but it seems to.
It's at least good news to hear you have found a way to retain the changes you make.

That said however, I'm confused as to what you have described.

In regards to the comments marked in red -- is the "gui" you are referring to the one that you are making the changes in and then clicking the "OK" button for that "gui" (to save the changes)?

I ask this because if you click the "OK" button after making changes then that specific "gui" closes as a result of clicking the "OK" button so there isn't any opportunity to "hit the red X on the upper right" for that "gui" since it has already been closed (as a result of clicking the "OK" button).

Would you please clarify what "red X" you are clicking specific to which "gui"? (perhaps screen-shots of the GUI's you are speaking of would help clarify)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

spc3rd wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:09 am
n8chavez wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:47 pm It seems as though anti-junk settings are not being saved in PopPeeper Pro, version 5.0.1. (this might have been an issue before this version, but I never tried it.) If you go to Tools > Antinjunk / Rules > Settings, then alter some settings such as Blacklist < "Blacklist email addresses when I mark messages as junk", Bayesian < Altering the aggression slider to 1.75, or Actions < altering any setting there, I'd expect these changes to be saved once I click the "ok" button. However, they are not. After altering some settings, I can go right back in to Tools > Antinjunk / Rules > Settings and see that none of the changes I just made were retained.

1.png

Hello n8chavez,

In addition to what lakrsrool has requested above,.....

Since you are reporting that changes you may make in specific settings - as shown in red font above - are not being saved, it would be helpful if you would include screenshots of THOSE particular settings - both before you make any change and after you make a change.

Please include a description of the specific change you are making to a given setting.
The screenshot you have provided in your OP is of the [GENERAL] page only.

Thank you and best regards.
As requested. I have attached screenshots of the settings I was trying to make. Keep in mind that I do not know that those specific settings were causing the issue; it might be all of them offered on that window.
1.png
2.png
2.png (10.4 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
3.png
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

lakrsrool wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:36 pm
n8chavez wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:12 am ... Thank you for the detailed reply. Something you said triggered a thought for me that solved my problem. As I said, if I alter the settings I want then click "Ok" then go right back in those settings changes are not retained. However, if I alter the settings I want then click "Ok" then after that hit the red X on the upper right, to exit the gui, then restore the gui, those settings seems to be retained that way. I'm not sure why that is, or why it works, but it seems to.
It's good news to hear you've found a way to get the changes to be retained.

That said however, I'm confused as to what you have described.

In regards to the comments marked in red -- is the "gui" you are referring to the one that you are making the changes in and then clicking the "OK" button for that "gui" (to save the changes)?

I ask this because if you click the "OK" button after making changes then that specific "gui" closes as a result of clicking the "OK" button so there isn't any opportunity to "hit the red X on the upper right" for that "gui" since it has already been closed (as a result of clicking the "OK" button).

Would you please clarify what "red X" you are clicking specific to which "gui"? (perhaps screen-shots of the GUI's you are speaking of would help clarify)
I mean that I have to close the PopPeeaper gui, not the program just the gui, in order to have those settings changed.
5.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

So then to clarify n8chavez - as an example, making a change in the screen-shot example below (as well as the other GUI's you've posted which presumably applies to all GUI's for that matter) you find the following results:

1) Just clicking the "OK" button (which closes the GUI) after making a change you do not find the change is sustained upon returning directly back to that GUI where the change was made.
2) On the other hand, when clicking the "OK" button which closes the GUI your making the changes in and then clicking on the red X in the PP main window is when changes are sustained. So that after clicking the red X in the main PP window and then returning to the GUI where the changes were made you then do find that changes are retained.

Am I describing this correctly?

Note: Example #1 (above) should suffice to make changes (it should not be necessary to close the main PP Interface).

Another thing that I'm noticing (now that you've provided screen-shots) is what you see in your example screen-shot that you provided (which appears to apply to all of your PP windows).

Your screen-shot - notice the way your header is displayed:
Peculiar header title in all of your PP windows.png
My screen-shot has what is expected to display in the Interface header:
Win10 GUI example that I get.png
This seems odd to me -- I'm not sure what this means however, but perhaps there is something amiss in regards to your PP setup (considering that all of your screen-shots display the GUI headers in this manner).

Hopefully other members of the Esumsoft Team may have an explanation for this difference and if it means anything at all.
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

lakrsrool wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:00 pm So then to clarify n8chavez - as an example, making a change in the example GUI below (as well as the other GUI's you've posted which presumably applies to all GUI's for that matter) you find the following results:

1) Just clicking the "OK" button (which closes the GUI) after making a change you do not find the change is sustained upon returning directly back to that GUI where the change was made.
Correct. Clicking the "ok" box closes the settings window, not the PP main gui.
2) On the other hand, when clicking the "OK" button which closes the GUI your making the changes in and then clicking on the red X in the PP main window is when changes are sustained. So that after clicking the red X in the main PP window and then returning to the GUI where the changes were made you then do find that changes are retained.
Am I describing this correctly?
Correct. Yes you are. I don't know why that is, but it seems to work that way.
Another thing that I'm noticing (now that you've provided screen-shots) is what you see in your example screen-shot that you provided (which appears to apply to all of your PP windows).

Your screen-shot - notice the way your header is displayed: Peculiar header title in all of your PP windows.pngMy screen-shot has what is expected to display in the Interface header: Win10 GUI example that I get.pngThis seems odd to me -- I'm not sure what this means however, but perhaps there is something amiss in regards to your PP setup (considering that all of your screen-shots display the GUI headers in this manner).
Ah, sorry about that. The differences there tell me it running in an isolated part of the disk than any other app. That's it. I try to run everything that connects to the internet like that, for safety reasons. That's it. However, I encounter the same issues with PP if I were to run it normally. Also, I run PP in portable mode, meaning that the mail directory as well as the poppeeper.ini are stored in the same place as the poppeeper.exe. The .ini file is not set to read-only.
Last edited by n8chavez on Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Thanks for explaining that n8chavez Image (possibly this additional information may be helpful for other support members to deduce your unique situation saving setting changes)

We'll have to wait for further feedback from other members of the Esumsoft Team regarding your need to close the main PP Window to get your AntiJunk setting changes (and probably other type changes as well) to hold as I personally have no idea why this happens to be the situation in your case. Sorry I can't be of more help. :?
n8chavez

Post by n8chavez »

lakrsrool wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:06 pm ^ Thanks for explaining that n8chavez Image (possibly this additional information may be helpful for other support members to deduce your unique situation saving setting changes)

We'll have to wait for further feedback from other members of the Esumsoft Team regarding your need to close the main PP Window to get your AntiJunk setting changes (and probably other type changes as well) to hold as I personally have no idea why this happens to be the situation in your case. Sorry I can't be of more help. :?
No worries! Thanks for your help. =D> At least I was able to find a way to get the setting changes to be retained,
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm not able to duplicate this either.

But have you tried using the "old" method again since you found out how the settings were retained? I'm wondering if whatever you did to make it work was enough to give it a kickstart so that the normal method will now work?

Also, when you click the "X" button -- is that EXITING POP Peeper or is that simply MINIMIZING POP Peeper? (as defined by the setting under Tools / Options / General: "Close button will minimize POP Peeper").

To be clear, that should have no bearing on this -- the AntiJunk settings are stored independently of regular POP Peeper settings (ie. the AntiJunk settings are stored in the AntiJunk.db file; whereas regular PP settings are stored in poppeeper.ini). Although, if you were exiting PP (as opposed to minimizing), that could suggest that the changes you were making were being saved, but that the cached values were not updating.