Undoing the PopPeeper Pro 5 vs PopPeeper 5 Gordian Knot

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Ardwych

Undoing the PopPeeper Pro 5 vs PopPeeper 5 Gordian Knot

Post by Ardwych »

I hate to have to say this but esumsoft seems to have dived into the swirling maelstrom of progress by confusion by continually referring to one of its products when the content is about another.

I see many references here referring to PopPeeper 5.x, particularly its download, but all that happens is that PopPeeper Pro 5.x steps into centre stage and takes over the act. I get unnecessary icon alerts, pop-up messages, notices that won't go away even when i've acted on them. Speed bumps.

Marketing by redirection is unbecoming at the best of times, but I didn't ever think I'd see it here.

PopPeeper Pro [my preferred nomenclature, as per the executable] seems to be the only product we can access. Yes, it does appear that PopPeeper Pro devolves into PopPeeper after some days, but there is no confirmation nor helping hand anywhere that I can see that describes what the product is doing and what the implications are. Obscurantism prevails.
And, yes, I understand that software needs to be paid for, but avoiding description is as bad as a politician answering a question that hasn't been asked, and we see a lot of that these days.

Frankly, I'd like to pay for a product variation that isn't offered. While I love PopPeeper, I have absolutely no need for another email client to compliment my venerable desktop Outlook. I use PP only as a header previewer/deleter, and $50 (in my currency) is too much for 4/5ths of a product that I don't use.
As it is, since the proliferation of IMAP accounts, PopPeeper/Pro's database just keeps building up and up, whereas in the old POP days, I'd preview headers, take them into desktop Outlook, and PopPeeper would be empty. Now PopPeeper/Pro is holding a record of 15,562 messages that I really don't need to know about. Indeed, at times, when I start PP, it appears to do nothing for minutes, and I might start it again. Two instances. I've found that it's building up links to those 15,000 headers again.

I'm sorry, Jeff, but I'm facing a puzzling Gordian Knot.
POP Peeper 5.0.0.0 - Webmail (5.0.1.0 - SSL 1.1.1.7 - IMAP 5.0.0.0 - Sendmail 4.5.2.0 - SpellingChecker n/a - Updater - 1.0.0.0 PPtweaker 5.0.0.0
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Undoing the PopPeeper Pro 5 vs PopPeeper 5 Gordian Knot

Post by Jeff »

I would be absolutely happy to address any of the problems, but my main concern with your post is that you did not provide any specific examples.
I get unnecessary icon alerts, pop-up messages, notices that won't go away even when i've acted on them.
Please provide more information about this. What icon alerts? What pop-up messages and notices?

If you're referring to shareware trial alerts, you should get 3 unattended popups: when there's 7, 1 and 0 days remaining in the trial. If you're getting more than that, then please let me know; if you're referring to something else, please let me know.
I see many references here referring to PopPeeper 5.x, particularly its download, but all that happens is that PopPeeper Pro 5.x steps into centre stage and takes over the act.
There is only one official download on esumsoft.com, and that includes Pro; that's the way it's always been. It's for simplification and obviously I would rather people at least try the premium features rather than go straight for the free edition. Even so, the installer allows you to uncheck the Pro plugins. Software that provides 2 different versions (ie. a free version and a Pro version) typically put more restrictions on the Free version; e.g. only being able to use one account. POP Peeper/Pro doesn't do that and I have even put restrictions on certain features in the shareware trial to prevent people from losing access; e.g. this is why in the shareware version you cannot access other folders -- because I realized that it would be frustrating to suddenly lose that capability.

but there is no confirmation nor helping hand anywhere that I can see that describes what the product is doing and what the implications are.
Sorry, I'm not sure I follow? The 3 popups I mentioned before give a quick list of the significant features that are in Pro, along with a link to a webpage with more information.

Now PopPeeper/Pro is holding a record of 15,562 messages that I really don't need to know about.
If you have that many messages in your accounts, it's not because of any change in POP Peeper. POP Peeper has always listed all messages in your account. If you didn't have that many messages in your account before it's because you've changed how Outlook retrieves your messages. Change Outlook to use POP3 instead of IMAP and you're back to where you were with clean inboxes. Or move the messages to another folder yourself every once in a while; that would be my personal recommendation -- I find it better to use the server for permanent storage rather than local because then you don't have to worry (so much) about reformatting, total system loss, etc.

Again, I'm happy to make adjustments if you feel something is misleading. Out of the many hats I have to wear, "developer" is the only one I'm comfortable in and "marketer" doesn't even exist, so I can assure you that any issues are not done with malice. But, again, I need more specific examples for something to change.