Occasional [HOSTNAME matching] Errors.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Dixon Butz

Occasional [HOSTNAME matching] Errors.

Post by Dixon Butz »

Getting these errors that started today. Have not changed anything.
I unchecked SSL verification and Hostname matching. Things seemed fine.
Then I grabbed a copy of PP off another PC. It's been fine all day maybe.
The error does clear I just noticed. I dont have them at this moment. Could have been happening all day? Probably just occasionally. IDK. What are they? Seems like it started after the 5.03 update.
Only the Microsoft mails are affected.
Anyone else? Keep an out for error triangle.
Edited Screen-shot of errors.png
Edited Screen-shot of errors.png (49.55 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
LOGS

AntiJunk: 5.0.3.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 5.0.3.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 5.0.3.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.0.3.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: D:\No Install Startup Apps\POP Peeper\
Data folder: D:\No Install Startup Apps\POP Peeper\data\

--- Error ---
Hotmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 1] [consec: 3]
- SSL connection failed - certificate failed: Specified server does not match hostname in certificate [hostname mismatch] https://www.esumsoft.com/ppfaq?q=error_ ... memismatch Add exception: pp://AddSslException?imap.outlook.com

Hotmail XXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 1] [consec: 3]
- SSL connection failed - certificate failed: Specified server does not match hostname in certificate [hostname mismatch] https://www.esumsoft.com/ppfaq?q=error_ ... memismatch Add exception: pp://AddSslException?imap.outlook.com

Msn XXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 1] [consec: 3]
Last edited by mjs on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited post to ensure privacy as well as marginally changing the topic title for improved recognition of the problem
mjs

Re: Occasional Errors.

Post by mjs »

I can confirm these errors have been intermittently occurring since late in the day 11/30/20.

In my case the only accounts that produced these invalid "hostname" errors are MSN accounts that use the "Hotmail" domain name. Other domains such as "Outlook" do not seem to get these same errors. I have gotten other than "Hotmail" domains but they were an alias for a "Hotmail" domain account so the limitation still holds true that only "Hotmail" domain accounts are impacted in my case when further investigated.

Can you confirm this either way as well - are the only accounts that a producing these errors actually "Hotmail.com" accounts?

The errors are virtually never consecutive but are rather intermittently occurring random errors involving just this one domain name and not any others. So yes the errors do clear and may not occur for several subsequent Mail Checks.

I have personally added exceptions for these relevant servers to stop the occasional errors alerts for now in my case. If you don't mind the errors (i.e. don't have that many Hotmail accounts) then I'd not bother with this as it's safer in regards to security to not take this step actually. I happen to have four of these accounts so after nearly two days of these intermittent errors I took this route.

We will be getting back to this topic - so please be patient.

And thanks very much for reporting the problem. :)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

2 are hotmail. One is an msn.com account.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for your feedback.

Btw, if those email addresses listed in your example screen-shot errors include actual account names then would you please modify those names for privacy reasons.

Addendum: I was able to edit your post for what may have been possible privacy issues so you can ignore the comments I've struck-out.

I was able to use the forum just now but I'm having intermittent issues using the forum due to the following:
Redacted forum down w- SQL ERROR.png
My attempts to get back into the forum failed several times up until now. However, I was able to (for the first time in the past few minutes) reach the forum by replying to your posts email alert - so just in case I can't get any further than this reply I thought I'd check on this with you.
Last edited by mjs on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Occasional [HOSTNAME matching] Errors.

Post by Jeff »

I, myself, only saw one error yesterday with my 2 outlook accounts; they both failed at the same time. I can't remember if I manually checked them or waited 10 minutes for the next mail check, but it did work by the next mail check. I got a couple emails regarding it, too, so I suspect that Hotmail was having issues. Unless you're using different server addresses (outlook does support several), the domain of your email address is not relevant to this error.

Are any of you still seeing errors?
Dixon Butz

Post by Dixon Butz »

Havn't seen any today.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If we are not seeing any of these errors which it appears is the case (which I can't say either way myself since the time I added Server exceptions for Hostname Matching in the "Certificates" window).

I have now removed the exceptions (actually added a character in front of each one since 3 Servers exceptions are involved so I can easily add them back by removing the leading characters as opposed to looking each up again).

I was getting the errors every 5-10 minutes starting back on if I recall correctly around 10-29 until I added the exceptions some time yesterday evening as I recall - so due to the frequency in my case I decided at that time to stop the frequent error alerts for a while.

Will report back if any of these errors start occurring again (now that I've removed the Server Exceptions).

I would add, while I would agree "domain" would not matter - I have more "Outlook" domains than "Hotmail" domains -- yet it was ONLY "Hotmail" domains that ever got the error (all "Outlook" domains of which we have 7 remained error free at all times as opposed to the "Hotmail" domains that had all the errors of which we have nearly half the number of accounts at only 4. Very odd coincidence, which it must be. That said - others have reported either domain.)
mjs

Post by mjs »

For the record - I got another one of these "Hostname matching" errors again.