Archived mail and "Date Modified" issue

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Sentinel

Archived mail and "Date Modified" issue

Post by Sentinel »

So I switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at the same time that I switched from PP 4 to PP 5 so I don't know if this is a PP issue or a Windows issue but after some research I am fairly certain it is a PP issue.

If I archive an email and save it in a folder on my PC it has a "Date Modified" date of the day of the email. If I opened that email a few days later it kept the date of the original email, as long as I don't modify it. This is the way PP has always worked and I loved it. I never had a problem.

But now I notice that if I take an archived email from months ago and open it today PP changes the "Date Modified" to today's date. This is very annoying when I sort files by date modified. It places emails that are months old at the top just because I opened them to look at them. I did not modify the email; I only viewed it. Other files like text files, do not exhibit this behavior. As long as I don't change or modify a text file, I can open it and look at it a hundred times and it maintains the "last modified date" as the last date that I actually modified the file; not the last time I opened it.

1. Why does this happen now and it never used to before?
2. Is there anything I can do to get the old behavior back?
mjs

Re: Archived mail and "Date Modified" issue

Post by mjs »

I am unable to confirm what you have described.

What Email Service Provider are you using that produces the behavior you have described?

Are you using the current PPv5.0.3?

I've tested in PPv5.0.3 (on Win10) for what you have described using the Yahoo Service Provider for both the PP Archive folder and a Yahoo Account Archive folder and what I find in my case is that the date does not change (i.e. it remains the same) after opening the message to read it (i.e. only view the message) in PP.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

I'm not sure I understand your question. I have my own domain so I guess I am the email service provider. I use POP email. What I am talking about is when I am viewing an email, and I save it by clicking archive, it saves it to my PC hard drive. I then take those emails and save them to a folder called "old mail". The "last modified" date is the date that I saved the email. But later on, if I open the email again by double clicking it, it opens in PP so that I can view it. After viewing it the "modified date" changes to the current date ... in other words the date that I last opened it and viewed it. Even though I have not edited it, only viewed it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It's not POP Peeper. POP Peeper does not modify the file when you open it. Further, the date modified does not change when I open a .eml file in PP by double-clicking it.

What I suspect is that it's your AntiVirus. Since .eml files are susceptible to viruses, your AV may be scanning it and then including a line in the header to let it know that it's been scanned.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Interesting, thanks. I'll go back to looking closer at Windows because, as I said, this doesn't seem to happen when I was using Windows 7 so it must be something there that I just can't duplicate elsewhere.
Thank you for answering. Very much appreciated.