Cannot Access One Account After Yahoo Changes

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Rakdan

Cannot Access One Account After Yahoo Changes

Post by Rakdan »

One of my Yahoo accounts is not working today.
When I log in on the web, after I type in my account ID and password in the screen that I usually do, it takes me to a new screen where I have to input the same info again, and then it works. I tried one of my other accounts which is working fine with POP Peeper, and Yahoo is not requiring the extra screen in that account.
mjs

Re: Cannot Access One Account After Yahoo Changes

Post by mjs »

Getting prompted again a second time for exactly the same information seems very strange to me (2-step verification as I understand it, which I've never personally used, would involve an alternate different security question - not the same login over again). Perhaps other members of the Esumsoft Team will have more to add regarding this.

In the meantime, I'm assuming that your comment "One of my Yahoo accounts is not working today.", means that POP Peeper is not doing Mail Checks successfully for this specific account (if so -- then it's always recommended to post Error Overview info in these cases that is discussed in more detail below).

Assuming the problem with the account is as mentioned above (and the Error Overview data aside), if you edit this specific problematic account in POP Peeper and you find that you are not using "IMAP" then I'd suggest you change to this protocol (that is, Edit the PP account and in the "General" window of your account "Edit" window - change the "Server type" setting to "IMAP"). This will automatically modify various settings for this account. Then (regardless if you needed to switch the account to IMAP or it was already using IMAP) while in the same account "Edit" window - you should most importantly click on the OAuth2 button (to the right of the "Login name:" box) and complete the following steps you get (if you get the dialog to "Don't get locked out! Review your account recovery info", just select the skip for later option) until after you click on the last "Agree" button step to authorize POP Peeper and then get the dialog message "Authentication successful" (which you need to see at the very end). Note: when you get a successful authentication you will get a message from Yahoo with the subject "New sign in on POP Peeper".

After doing this, then check to see if that account will do a successful Mail Check in POP Peeper. Let us know your results. :)

If this doesn't help -- then please post whatever error message you are getting in regards to your reference that "One of my Yahoo accounts is not working today.". If you are not familiar with how to do this please refer to this topic: PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I made a mistake. This is an SBCGlobal.net account.
You can also disregard the part about entering the login information twice.
That happens because I am using a Yahoo sign-in page to log in.
For some strange reason, it asks for my password before directing me to the AT&T login page.
It turns out that another SBCGlobal account that works fine in POP Peeper does the same.
I rarely sign in to my account online, because I use POP Peeper.
That is why I did not realize that this behavior was "normal".

Here is my error message, followed by the whole log, but I replaced my account name with XXXXXX.
I do not see a 0auth2. I believe that is because I already selected it previously.

0A S XXXXXX (consecutive errors: 142)
Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials) --

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.0.3.0
Webmail: 5.0.1.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.0.3.0
SendMail: 5.0.3.0
PPTweaker: 5.0.3.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Users\Rakda\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Web Test ---
Result: 200
Error:
Time: 01:36:59 - 01:37:00 (1 s) (-0600)
Data: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 23:36:58 -0800

--- Error ---
0A S XXXXXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.att.net' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 142]
- Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] LOGIN Invalid credentials) -- Edit account: pp://EditAccount?MEEgUyBKZWZmLlN1
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the Error Overview information. Image

The reason your online login on the Web is like you have described is because SBCGlobal.net mail was merged into att.net mail which needs to be accessed via Yahoo when doing a login on the web (and has been for sometime going back 15 years - because you do not typically use the Web to login you have not noticed this apparently).

Here is a link on this subject: Sbcglobal Att.net Email Login.

Based on your Error Overview data - it appears your settings are correctly set in POP Peeper,

Due currently to Oauth2 not directly being supported in POP Peeper for AT&T accounts (which is why there isn't a POP Peeper Oauth2 button) -- you will need to create a "secure mail key" with AT&T to be used as the Password in this POP Peeper account.

Take a look at this link to do this: Create a secure mail key - Scroll down this webpage to where you see the reference to "Create a secure mail key" and follow the steps outlined in this section. Be sure to use the "Secure Mail Key" that is generated by AT&T as the Password in POP Peeper for this account. Keep in mind this "Secure Mail Key" is only for POP Peeper - you will continue to use the same Password you have always used to login to the same account when doing a login online on the Web.

Let us know if this solves your problem.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I clicked on the link to how to create a secure mail key, and it is bogus.
It directs me to the sign in page, and tells me to select the account for which I want to create a secure mail key.
That is as far as it makes sense.
The next line in the instructions say, "Scroll to Secure mail key and select Manage secure mail key."
There is nothing to scroll, and no option for secure mail key, whether I remain in this sign in page, or whether I sign in and then look for it.
I tried using Firefox and Chrome browsers. There is no option for this anywhere. I looked throughout settings, and any other options I could find.
mjs

Post by mjs »

The reference to "Scroll to Secure mail key and select Manage secure mail key." is where you will find the instructions including the link to start the process:
Click on 'Profile'.png
When you get to the AT&T Login:
ATT Login.png
Which I understand you get to (and is what you have described previously) to then login to manage your accounts "Profile" (that has the issue in POP Peeper), within the account "Profile" you need to select:
Profile pic-1.png
and then select:
Profile pic-2.png
Profile pic-2.png (11.46 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
Which is where you would be creating the "Secure Mail Key" -- to be used as the POP Peeper accounts Password.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

Thanks for all your help.
I finally managed to find a way to create a secure mail key, no thanks to the Yahoo aholes.
I do not get the screens that you showed.
I eventually stumbled upon the page that I needed, made the change, and then spent over an hour trying to figure out how I got there, but to no avail.
I found a link to the page that I needed to get to in my history, and, by playing around with the URLs, I came up with the following instructions, which I assume will work for everyone:

1. Sign in to your SBCGlobal account.
2. Type, "att.com" into the URL, and press <Enter>.
3. Select "Manage Profile" in the "Account" dropdown box.
4. Scroll down to the bottom, and click on "Manage secure mail key".
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

Of course, no Yahoo problem can be solved with just a few hours of work.

I still cannot create a secure mail key for my Yahoo accounts.
This only works with my SBCGlobal accounts.
I cannot figure out how to get to the correct screen in Yahoo.
mjs

Post by mjs »

AT&T can often be very sketchy as far as how their webpages are supposed to work (or should I say they often do not work properly - is my experience).

This link (circle) is supposed to take you to the accounts "Profile" that your logging into as a result of clicking the circled link (it usually does for me):
Click on 'Profile'.png
but it may not always do what it is supposed to -- so if you do not find you are in the account "Profile" when using that circle link than at that point you would need to select the "Profile" page yourself like this:
ATT sketchy - may need to select 'Profile'.png
to then continue on with the steps previously referenced.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Rakdan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:19 am Of course, no Yahoo problem can be solved with just a few hours of work.

I still cannot create a secure mail key for my Yahoo accounts.
This only works with my SBCGlobal accounts.
I cannot figure out how to get to the correct screen in Yahoo.
Yahoo.com specific accounts in POP Peeper should have an Oauth2 button if you are using the IMAP protocol (Servery type = "IMAP") for the Yahoo account which should resolve Yahoo account issues, but then I thought you were having a problem with just one account.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I found this in Yahoo mail:

Select "Account Info" from the dropdown.
Select "Account Security" on the left.
At the bottom, select "Generate app password".

I did this, and it gave me a 16-digit password, which works.
But, this account was already working. I just did this as I figure it has to be done eventually.

The question is, is this different from Oauth2?

Should I still use Oauth2 instead of this?

And, why is there a warning that I am giving POP Peeper access to my whole account with Oauth2? What does that mean?
mjs

Post by mjs »

The Oauth2 should work for Yahoo accounts - but if your interested in using the Yahoo "APP Password" option for Yahoo accounts you can take a look at this point in the topic "Yahoo Mail changes" and read further down depending upon your version of Yahoo (there are more links to other related topics within the topic I have posted as well).
mjs

Post by mjs »

The two methods are different ways to allow POP Peeper access to Yahoo. Each has their advantages and disadvantages (as explained in the linked topic or additional links posted in the linked topic) - which you prefer to use is up to you (the link I've provided should give you enough info to decide for yourself :)).

Let us know if your issues have been solved for POP Peeper.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Rakdan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:34 am ... why is there a warning that I am giving POP Peeper access to my whole account with Oauth2? What does that mean?
It just means that the POP Peeper app will be allowed full access to Yahoo Mail (it is a "warning" dialogue prompt for purposes of security from Yahoo's perspective to make sure an app that a Yahoo account holder wants to use to access Yahoo Mail is what the user has intended.)
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I went with the app passwords for the Yahoo accounts.
Everything is working now.
Thanks again for your help.

Just so you know, you have no idea how screwed up AT&T is.
If it was just as you think that the link was broken, I could have found the option that I needed.
The screens that I have are completely different from those that you see, and those that AT&T expects me to see.
There is no coherent way to get to the option to create a secure mail key.
The menu option is there, but there is no way to get to the menu to select the option.
That is why I posted what I did about typing att.com into the URL.
There appears to be no other way for me to get to the menu, and then to the options that I need.
It is not just the secure mail key link that I am missing.
I have no menu options that get me to anything with the word "profile" in the name.
The AT&T interface is completely defective.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

BTW, I chose the app password v Oauth2, but I am not clear on whether secure mail key was supposed to be an option in Yahoo.
If it is, once again, I have no way to get to it.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Rakdan wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:28 am BTW, I chose the app password v Oauth2, but I am not clear on whether secure mail key was supposed to be an option in Yahoo.
If it is, once again, I have no way to get to it.
For Yahoo accounts you have the choice of either using: 1) "Oauth2" (by clicking on the POP Peeper "Oauth2" button to use this method) or 2) using Yahoo's "App Password" method (which is what you have reportedly used) to authorize POP Peeper to access Yahoo accounts. The "Secure Mail Key" method to authenticate POP Peeper (discussed in this topic) is the equivalent process for AT&T email accounts that are not strictly "Yahoo.com" accounts. From what I can tell, there is no problem with the methods you have used to get all of your POP Peeper accounts to work. =D>
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I don't know if this is related or not, but the timing seems "coincidental" considering the ties that sbcglobal has with Yahoo. This morning, I got the email from Verizon that they've added Oauth2 support for AOL. That, on its own, is not necessarily relevant. However, while adding/testing this, I noticed that the "embedded browser" method for authenticating no longer worked for Yahoo/AOL. Basically, this means they've made other changes.

I've read this thread, but I don't have an at&t/sbcglobal account to confirm anything, so if you've gotten it to work, that's great. Using an app-specific password (or "secure mail key" -- I'm sure those are just 2 terms that ultimately mean the same thing) is certainly sufficient, and considering the strange relationship between at&t-yahoo-verizon, I have no idea if sbcglobal will ever see oauth2 support.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

I did get it to work.
But, this morning I had the same problem getting emails on my phone.

For my SBCGlobal accounts, I used the same secure mail key for my phone and for POP Peeper.
That is not a problem as the SMP is not app-specific.

When you create an app-specific password, you have to say which app it is for.
I selected Other and named it POP Peeper.
I have not yet changed my Yahoo accounts on my phone.
Can I use the same app password for POP Peeper and for my phone, or do I need a new one for my phone?
I have a number of Yahoo accounts, and I would rather not get all these new passwords.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You should be able to use the same password for multiple devices. The idea for using a password for each app is that if you need to terminate a password (ie. the password has been compromised), that you can just delete the one password without affecting other apps. However, it's certainly possible that Yahoo could track how many connections are using the same app-password and think that's suspicious.