Gmail, Yahoo confirmation v5

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
budwar65

Gmail, Yahoo confirmation v5

Post by budwar65 »

Hi, Can someone please confirm that Gmail and Yahoo works with v5, because no mater what I try and do, after the "Yahoo OAuth2 in PP", "app password", "Authentication successful", and from Yahoo mail "Your Yahoo account xxxx@ymail.com was just used to sign in on POP Peeper", I still get the "Bad Connection" in Error Overview. Am I crazy?
mjs

Re: Gmail, Yahoo confirmation v5

Post by mjs »

The "Bad connection" error is not specific to "authentication" of PP. I suspect that this error will clear in time.

It would help if you provided more information like how many accounts have errors, are all accounts impacted and for how long? I am personally not getting any errors in any Email Service providers at this time.

It would be helpful for us to have error data details.

To do this:
1) Click on the yellow icon with exclamation in lower right corner of PP interface.
2) Click the "Copy" button (saving the error message to clipboard).
3) Past the error message to this topic.

NOTE: Please make sure your actual email account name does not display by changing it to "XXXX" for example.

Whenever you get an error in Pop Peeper it is always best to provide us with the complete "Error overview" data. Doing this gives us additional information that can be of help in determining what may be causing problems.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
budwar65

Post by budwar65 »

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.0.3.0
Webmail: 5.0.1.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.0.3.0
SendMail: 5.0.3.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 5.0.3.0
AntiJunk: 5.0.3.0
Spell Checker: 5.0.3.0
Web of Trust: 5.0.3.0
PPTweaker: 5.0.3.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\Tor Browser\+POPPeeperPro-v503\
Data folder: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
XXXX@gmail.com [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 1] [consec: 1]
- Bad Connection

XXXX0@gmail.com [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 1] [consec: 1]
- Bad Connection

XXXX@ymail.com [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 1] [consec: 1]
- Bad Connection

I have had it going last night for about 5 minutes(long enough to check the mail), since then dead........
Last edited by budwar65 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for the error data. I've checked PP on my Win7 machine and have no errors for any accounts including the providers you're getting errors on.

Do these 3 accounts comprise all of your PP email accounts?

When did these errors start occurring?

Have you made any security software changes or updates of any kind that would coincide to when the errors started?

I'm suspicious that something could be blocking your accounts if all accounts are getting this same error.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Try either stopping/restarting PP or better yet rebooting your computer.

If these same "Bad connection" errors continue to persist -- you could try editing the account(s) and switching the SSL settings from "SSL/TLS" to "STARTTLS" (that could possibly help avoid an issue you may have accessing these accounts).
budwar65

Post by budwar65 »

I have only 3 accounts, and yes I did upgrade to a new security software about the same time the errors started. OK let me see, I will restore my system prior to the changes, thanks. I will update
budwar65

Post by budwar65 »

So, WOW, on November 10 I have had updated Avast Free to ver. 20.9.57. Did not need the POP, so no big deal, because mail was comming, a week ago it stopped. OK must be the new safety crap, but no, it's my AVAST!
By disabling it, I get my mail. Now I have another problem.....
Thanks for your help
mjs

Post by mjs »

Add an Avast software Exception for POP Peeper (these steps may be dated as this is an old video - but you get the idea :wink:). When I used Avast (years ago) - I always used exceptions for PP.

Addendum: This may be better - an Avast HELP page on this. 8)
Last edited by mjs on Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
budwar65

Post by budwar65 »

Well, even with the Exclusion, this new version of the Avast is blocking PP. Had to roll back to the version 18, from 2018. Warning, the new Avast 20....., is not PP friendly(Windows7x64)
budwar65

Post by budwar65 »

Updated to the Avast ver. 20.9 and my PP stopped receiving mail. Had to roll back to ver, 18. It seems that the Avast is acting more like a virus and not like antivirus. Anyway, any suggestions for PP friendly lightweight antivirus?
Last edited by spc3rd on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This separate topic merged into existing discussion for continuity.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello budwar65,

FWIW......on my Win 7 machine, I've just continued using MSE and Malwarebytes Premium (for which I have a lifetime license), never experiencing any significant issues.

One question for you - do you utilize a VPN when accessing your email?

Other members of The Esumsoft Team and our forum community may have some additional suggestions for you.

Cheers! :)
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

If I recall correctly, v18 was about where I stopped using Avast (looks like I stopped at the opportune time :wink:). You might ask about this PP issue on the Avast forum.... :? (I can't see why Avast couldn't be set to work with PP).

On a side note, you might recall the period of time that Avast became very obnoxious about pushing users to add paid functions - which started me thinking about replacing Avast at that time. But what actually caused me to stop using Avast was when my HP was having issues. While attempting to restore backup files I decided to uninstall Avast to see if this would help with my issues but instead as a result of the Avast uninstall the laptop became totally unresponsive (I blame this on the intrusive complexity of Avast) and unable to boot at all.

FWIW, for Win10 I use Windows Defender with daily scheduled scans ("Quick scan" 6 days and "Full scan" on Sunday using Windows Task Scheduler) - full disclosure, it took me quite a while to finally get the Task Scheduler to successfully run Windows Defender scheduled scans on Win10, perhaps an OS update helped). For Win7 I use both Windows Defender (WD) and Adaware (free version) that seems far less intrusive than Avast - w/ daily Adaware Automated (full) scans as well as daily WD scheduled (full) scans (because Adaware is minimally intrusive it works well with WD). Note: for Adaware, the computer needs to be in the "wake" state to perform Automated scans - fortunately the Win7 Task Scheduler works seamlessly to successfully wake the computer in tandem with the Adaware optional built-in Automated scanner (Note: the Windows Task Scheduler only needs to wake the computer to accommodate the Adaware Automated scan function).