Windows Mail default program not listed

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
GregW

Windows Mail default program not listed

Post by GregW »

Hi, I use windows inbuilt Mail program as my default but it isn't shown in the options as a client and leaving the filed blank so it uses the default program opens Thunderbird. I've tried searching for the command line for Mail in file explorer but can't locate it. Any suggestions please?
mjs

Re: Windows Mail default program not listed

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum GregW.

I personally would not consider Windows 10 Mail to actually be a "true" mail client so to speak and it certainly does get a bit tricky to independently use the app and/or locate the WinMail.exe executable file.

With that said, try this - copy/paste what I've posted below into PP's Email Client option box (it can't be searched and won't be added as an alternate Mail Client option in PP but entering this should open the app for you when you request PP to run your "Email Client".):
explorer.exe shell:AppsFolder\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!microsoft.windowslive.mail

As to PP opening TB as your default (w/ a blank E.C. box) - you most likely have Windows set to use TB as your default Mail Client - regardless, hopefully using what I've posted above will get the results you want (it works for me! 8) - although I actually don't use this method myself, for Win10 Mail, as I personally use a different Mail Client -- specifically "Interlink" which is btw, essentially a TB clone).

Let us know if this works for you.... :)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Re: Windows Mail default program not listed

Post by mjs »

As an afterthought, since you prefer to use the "Mail" Windows app as your "Mail Client" - it occurred to me that you might be interested in creating a shortcut to use on your desktop as well to open the Win10 Mail app (such as is the case with "typical" Mail Clients).

This can be accomplished by doing the following:
1. Open File Explorer and paste the following in the address bar(search):
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}
2. Pressing enter should then display random app icons and actions:
Create Mail Desktop shortcut.png
3. Find the app you want (in this case as illustrated above - the Windows "Mail" app) to create a shortcut for the app by doing a right-click on the icon and select "Create shortcut" (direct the shortcut to your Desktop and you have a Mail app shortcut just like any typical Mail Client has :wink:).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers