Missing Plugins

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ronw

Missing Plugins

Post by ronw »

I am a new user and have purchased the Pro version and Plus Pack.

I see to be missing some plugins and don't know where to get them. When I select Tools / AntiJunk/Rules / Rules, I get this message:

This plugin may not be installed or is disabled.

Select Tools / Plugins from the main menu to enable this plugin.

However, Tools / Plugins shows just five available plugins, all already selected (Webmail, SSL, IMAP, RSS, SendMail).

Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Thanks.

Ron
spc3rd

Re: Missing Plugins

Post by spc3rd »

Hello Ron and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums. :)

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having.
Given the nature of the problem you are reporting, I am going to recommend you send a support email to Jeff at: support at esumsoft dot com, or use this

Esumsoft Support Contact Form

He may need more information from you which is not advisable to post in open forum. Please be sure to provide him with the exact email address you used when you purchased POP Peeper Pro and the Plus Pack.

[NOTE: Since this is a major holiday weekend, response times may be a bit slower than normal].

One question here: From the POP Peeper main interface, if you click on [TOOLS] > Activation, does it show both POP Peeper Pro and the Plus Pack as being activated? If not, what does it show?

Also, as our newest member, The Esumsoft Team requests that you please review the following Sticky topic:

Information for new users and forum members

The article contains important, helpful information which all members should be aware of. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to let us know.

Other members of The Esumsoft Team may drop by and have additional feedback.

Thank you and welcome aboard!
Global Moderator
ronw

Post by ronw »

Pete,

Thanks for replying and for the useful information you've provided.

[Tools] > [Activation] shows that my software is activated for both POP Peeper Pro and Plus Pack, and in the Activation section below the product list, is also shows "Activated" in green letters.

Before I bought the Pro version and Plus Pack, I had been trialing a 5.0.3 version of Pro that I downloaded from the site. That installation file was 5.25 MB in size. At some point during the purchase process, I was given another download link, which resulted in a 5.0.3 version with a size of 5.70 MB. (These sizes are for the .exe installation files.) I ran the bigger version, thinking it might contain something that was only for registered users. I don't know whether that changed anything as far as plugins, since I didn't try to use them with my original version.

Ron
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi Ron,

Have you tried (from the main menu) going to "Help" > "About POP Peeper..." and selecting (checking) the option "Automatically check for updates" and then clicking on the "Download..." button to see if this helps?

Addendum added: I'm not sure if also checking the option "Auto-Update: Check for missing and updated components" in the "POP Peeper Activation" page (that you were formerly looking at - to check if you had activated PRO and the Plus Pack) might help (might as well enable that option as well) :wink: .
Last edited by mjs on Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ronw

Post by ronw »

Thanks, lakrsrool. I checked and POP Peeper told me that no updates were needed.

Then I went back and re-installed it with the original (5.25 MB) file I had used. During the installation process, I was able to check four plugins that I didn't have before (Profile Picture, AntiJunk, Spell Checker, and Web of Trust).

AntiJunk is now working as it is supposed to. Spell Checker is not work, even though it is installed and selected under [Tools] > [Options] > [Plugins]. I'm getting the same "This plugin may not be installed or is disabled. / Select Tools / Plugins from the main menu to enable this plugin." error that I previously got when trying to use AntiJunk.

Ron
mjs

Post by mjs »

You did what I was going to suggest next (re-install and select the missing components) - I was curious if what I suggested might help instead.

Regarding the Spell Check plugin - so it is installed and enabled -- in that case try exiting and re-starting PP to see if this helps.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To give a possible reason why the Pro plugins weren't installed -- if you had previously (ie. v4) installed POP Peeper and unchecked those options, your choices are saved so you don't have to uncheck them each time you install.

As for Spell Checker --
hm, if AntiJunk is working and Spell Checker is listed and enabled, there's really no reason that shouldn't work. I would suggest simply exiting and restarting POP Peeper to see if that helps. (lakrsrool and I are on the same page here)

Are you having any issues with any of the other plugins, even if you don't plan on using them (as long as they're installed)? e.g. Can you open:
main menu: Tools / Voice notifier -> settings
That would test voice notifier which is part of the Plus Pack, so another test for Pro would be:
View a message, then on the menu, select Tools / View WOT summary

Also, just to make sure the versions are correct, do the following:
1) On the main menu, select File / Error overview
2) Press the "Copy log" button
3) Paste the information into your forum reply (this data may include your Windows username, feel free to edit that out)
ronw

Post by ronw »

Thanks for your help, Jeff. I did have v4.5.3 installed before v5.0.3, and even used v3.8.1 briefly on this computer.

AntiJunk, Voice Notifier, and View WOT are all working for me. Only Spell Checker isn't working.

I don't know whether it's significant, but from Tools / Plugins, I can get into the Settings (Speller Options) for Spell Checker. However, when I am Composing a message and do Tools / Spell check options, I can't see the options and instead get the error, "This plugin may not be installed or is disabled. / Select Tools / Plugins from the main menu to enable this plugin."

Below is the output from Error overview / Copy Log:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.0.3.0
Webmail: 5.0.1.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.0.3.0
RSS: 5.0.0.0
SendMail: 5.0.3.0
Notification Voice: 5.0.0.0
Profile Picture: 5.0.3.0
AntiJunk: 5.0.3.0
Spell Checker: 5.0.3.0
Web of Trust: 5.0.3.0
PPTweaker: 5.0.3.0
Sent Mail Viewer: 5.0.0.0
PPbackup: 5.0.0.0
PPextras: 5.0.0.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Documents and Settings\zzzzz\Application Data\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
(none)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hmm, and presumably you have tried exiting/restarting PP as suggested -- to see if this helps with the Spell Check plugin issue (that is doing a right-click in the PP tray icon and selecting "Exit" and then restarting PP again)?

As Jeff mentioned - if other enabled PRO plugins are installed and working (i.e. the same as the enabled "Spell Checker" plugin) then there isn't really any reason that it shouldn't be functioning properly.
ronw

Post by ronw »

Yes, I've exited and restarted PP several times and still can't get the Spell Checker to work.
mjs

Post by mjs »

ronw wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 am ... I don't know whether it's significant, but from Tools / Plugins, I can get into the Settings (Speller Options) for Spell Checker. However, when I am Composing a message and do Tools / Spell check options, I can't see the options and instead get the error, "This plugin may not be installed or is disabled. / Select Tools / Plugins from the main menu to enable this plugin."
The above peculiar behavior makes me wonder if the "Spell Checker" plugin had some kind of install glitch or was corrupted some how. This is very strange behavior to be able to access the same plugin settings using one method (via plugins interface) but can't using another method (via compose window). First time I've heard of such a thing as this.... :?

You could try doing a re-install again making sure that you use the CUSTOM installation (not express) that allows you to "Choose components" and uncheck the "Spell Checker" plugin to remove the plugin -- and then do another re-install again (using "Custom" install) and select the "Spell Checker" plugin again on the second re-install to once again add it to see if this helps resolve this weird plugin issue.

If no help with trying the above - perhaps you have some security software that may be possibly interfering with part of the install (however seems unlikely that only a portion of an install would be impacted...) :-s
ronw

Post by ronw »

Thanks for your suggestions, lakrsrool. I tried re-installing PP with the Spell Checker plugin not checked, and then re-installing PP again with the plugin checked. No change in the results I'm getting.

One interesting thing that happened was that after the first re-install (without the Spell Check plugin selected), when I started PP and checked Tools / Plugins, Spell Checker WAS both listed and checked, even though it presumably had been removed. I don't think plugins that were not selected during installation should be even listed (?).

If there is nothing else to try, is there a way to uninstall PP completely and re-install it without losing my settings? I actually don't care about losing my e-mails in PP, because I' haven't done anything important while I've been testing, but I've made so many changes to settings that I'd like to keep them rather than figuring them all out again.

Ron
mjs

Post by mjs »

Apparently re-installing PP with a specific component not selected (unchecked) will not remove a previously installed component (in this case the "Spell Checker" plugin) but instead just leaves the plugin as is. Based on this -- it would be necessary to remove (move to a folder independent of PP) the "Speller.dll" file from your C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\Pro folder (based in the "Storage" path you posted previously) and then do another "Custom" re-install selecting the "Spell Checker" plugin component once again to install this plugin over again with a different plugin than you have now. Most importantly, you would need to be sure and "Exit" PP (right-click "Exit" PP tray icon) before deleting the current "Spell Checker" plugin in the "Pro" folder prior to then do the "Custom" PP re-install again to get a different plugin.

As far as doing a complete uninstall and still save your settings - yes this can be done by retaining your PP "ini" file where the settings reside and then using this "ini" file in place of the newly installed "ini" file.

But before taking this step of doing an uninstall -- I think it would be best to wait for Jeff as it is likely he will have other ideas as far as looking into this issue further. (it is important for us to determine what this problem consists of in the event it's more than just specific to the "Spell Checker" plugin).

If you feel comfortable testing this out further by removing (moving to an independent folder) the current "Spell Checker" plugin (from the "Pro" folder) that you now have and then try another "Custom" re-install, that shouldn't be a problem (and would rule-out some kind of plugin "dll" file issue). Just keep in mind that you do need to "Exit" PP so the process is not running before taking the step of deleting the current "Spell Checker" plugin (as described above) -- before then trying the re-install once again (as described above) with a different plugin file than before. :wink:
mjs

Post by mjs »

One other thing, I notice that your installation (storage) locations are not conventional (in reference to your previously posted info as illustrated below). Just curious about this, did you change the default installation locations during an install or perhaps move files around at some point after an install (which could perhaps hypothetically pose problems)?
ronw wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:29 am Program folder: C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Documents and Settings\zzzzz\Application Data\POP Peeper\
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I haven't confirmed this yet by testing, but looking at the code, it looks like this is probably an issue with WinXP. I'll dig deeper into this on Monday, but -- ronw -- if you shoot me an email (support at esumsoft dot com) I'll get back to you with follow-up questions and details and hopefully a test-fix.
ronw

Post by ronw »

Thanks for the information and suggestions, lakrsrool. I won't attempt a complete install until hearing from Jeff.

I moved Speller.dll (and also aspell.dll and the Pro\Spelling folder) to another drive, exited PP, and re-installed PP. When re-installing PP, Spell Checker was still listed as a component and checked, so I unchecked it. As expected, the install did not replace the moved-off files. When PP was run, Spell Checker was not listed under Tools / Plugins.

I exited PP again and re-installed again. This time Spell Checker wasn't checked so I checked it. The installation replaced the moved-off files. All of the replaced files compared identically to the ones that I had moved off. Spell Checker showed up again under Tools / Plugins. When trying to run Spell Checker on a message being composed, the same error occurred as has all along. :(

I used the standard locations for XP when I installed PP. I didn't override or move anything.

Ron
ronw

Post by ronw »

For the sake of documentation, I'm adding a note to say that my problem has been resolved by a patch that Jeff made. Evidently the problem only occurs with Windows XP.

Many thanks for the great and timely support by Jeff, spc3rd, and lakrsrool.

Ron
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

On behalf of all of us on The Esumsoft Team, Ron...you're quite welcome! Glad to hear everything is back to normal for you now. =D> :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Global Moderator