Yahoo Ending Forwarding HELP!

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mpman

Yahoo Ending Forwarding HELP!

Post by mpman »

Hello, for years I've had my Yahoo emails forwarded to 1 other account and then PopPeeper-ed by IMAP from there. This way I could delete messages as I read/dealt with them in PopPeeper without actually deleting them from the original yahoo accounts.

Now on Jan 1 2021, Yahoo will no longer allow free email Forwarding. So I will have to PopPeeper the accounts directly, but as far as I can see, when I delete the message in Pop Peeper, it will get deleted on the server.

Is there a way to avoid deleting the message on the server?

I know I can "hide/unhide" Read Messages, and that's somewhat of a solution, but I would rather delete the messages from Pop Peeper when I am done with them.

So basically, I want Pop Peeper to only retrieve New Emails and NOT delete them from my Yahoo email account.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Yahoo Ending Forwarding HELP!

Post by Jeff »

Here's a few solutions I can think of:

1) If the account that you were forwarding to supports the capability to retrieve POP3 from another service, you could do that. This would likely be the most similar to what you're doing now. I'm pretty sure Gmail and others support this feature (confirmed for gmail: settings / accounts and import).

2) Change the trash folder that POP Peeper uses so that deleting messages goes to a standard folder (requires POP Peeper Pro)

3) Move messages to another folder instead of deleting them (requires POP Peeper Pro)

4) PP provides various "hide" features like you noted, but you can also manually hide individual messages -- so using that would be very similar to deleting without actually deleting. I don't think that there's a default keyboard shortcut by default, but I've set mine to the 'H' key under Tools/PPtweaker/Shortcuts ("Message: Hide/Unhide"). There's not a system-provided toolbar button, but you can create your own if you think that would be the route you want to go.
ronw

Post by ronw »

I've been wondering if there was a similar option, for different reasons. When I delete a message in POP Peeper, it will also delete the message on the server, if it still exists there. I imagine that operation is consistent with the fundamental purpose of PP, to provide a view of mail on the server. I handle my mail somewhat differently. I prefer to have PP start with a copy of all my messages, from the server, then leave me to delete and otherwise manually manage the messages in both places.

There is a right-click "Remove from list" option that removes a message without deleting it on the server, but it's less convenient than using the Delete toolbar button or a keyboard's Delete key. There is an existing option "Remove messages not on server" under Account / Edit / Advanced. Ideally it would be nice to have another option "Leave deleted messages on server." It's not a high-priority item for me, but I would use it if it existed.

Ron
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'll take the time to offer my 2-cents. If I understand what you want in its entirety (which I'll cover in more detail later) it seems to me to be potentially confusing as I personally see it - but before we get to that.

The "right-click 'Remove from list' option" will remove the message from the PP In-box - but if you have not deleted the message off of the Client (i.e. the message remains in the Server) then it will repopulate the PP In-box on the next Mail Check. So this is presumably not what you're looking for - this function can be helpful in temporarily testing results as I see it but the final result will be that the message will return to the PP In-box since the message remains on the Server as long as it is not deleted at some point.

It seems what your asking is to be able to delete (remove) from the Server or not delete (leave) messages on the Server independently for what resides in PP's In-box and visa versa the same thing for what resides on the Email Client as well. One thing to keep in mind is that if a message does not reside on the Server then the message cannot be interacted with (i.e. replied/forwarded to) because of the very fact it has been removed off of the Server. So some messages would perform in a "normal" fashion in PP and others would not depending upon if messages in PP did or did not reside on the Server. Based on potential issues like this, as I see it, heading down this path would be wrought with potential unintended consequences.

That said, as it stands now, if you wanted to retain messages in PP that are otherwise deleted from the Server by way of using the Client - you can uncheck (disable) the "existing option 'Remove messages not on server' under Account / Edit / Advance" as mentioned. You would also need to use POP3 (not IMAP) as your protocol as well (if for no other reason than to be able to continue to read the message text after the message is no longer on the Server).

What would happen for these messages as long as you do not delete them via PP under this scenario? -- you would get the following results in your PP In-box (a red "X" in the "Misc Status" column) signifying the message is not on the Server:
If you hover the cursor over this message you will get the tool-tip "Message not listed on server" (as you see in the screen-shot).
If you hover the cursor over this message you will get the tool-tip "Message not listed on server" (as you see in the screen-shot).
message in PP not on Server results.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
As long as you do not manually delete the message from PP you can still read the message (using POP3) but you cannot interact with them (i.e. cannot reply/forward etc) which is the case in any event for messages that do not reside on the Server.

So what this does for you is to leave messages in the PP In-box that you have deleted off the Server using your Email Client. Of course you could at any point optionally delete these same type messages from the PP In-box at your discretion. This probably doesn't do everything you desire, but I'm trying to come up with an approach that provides perhaps some of what you want (and avoids complicating PP further).

I'm not sure if there could be potential issues as result of taking this approach (I'm not aware of any :-k) -- I'll leave it to other members of the Esumsoft Team to followup with additional comments/details or in the event there could be potential issues using this scenario.

Addendum: the better approach would be what Jeff has posted below.
Last edited by mjs on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited in order to strike-out my invalid statements (Hopefully I have done so for all of them) and to add my "Addendum" comment.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

As lakrsrool mentioned, remove message from list is not what you want.

As I've mentioned, hiding the message is the functional equivalent of what you're requesting. You can even change the key to the 'delete' key if that helps, under Tools / PPtweaker / Shortcuts, just make sure you disable the delete option on the "Mail list" window. Based on your last reply, it sounds like that's the ideal match.
lakrsrool wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:41 pm One thing to keep in mind is that if a message does not reside on the Server then the message cannot be interacted with (i.e. replied/forwarded to) because of the very fact it has been removed off of the Server.
As long as POP Peeper has a copy, you can still reply/forward to it -- that capability has very little to do with the original copy on the server.
mpman

Post by mpman »

Jeff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:42 pm Here's a few solutions I can think of:

1) If the account that you were forwarding to supports the capability to retrieve POP3 from another service, you could do that. This would likely be the most similar to what you're doing now. I'm pretty sure Gmail and others support this feature (confirmed for gmail: settings / accounts and import).
Thank you Jeff. This worked for me. I would have never found those options in Gmail had you not pointed them out to me, so thank you! The only limitation is that Gmail only allows 5 POP3 Accounts, but I just signed up for another gmail and added it into PopPeeper. (Note: Gmail gives you 2 options to import Email Accounts, Pop3 or Gmailify. Pop3 offers the option to "leave messages on server" while Gmailify does not). That options is what makes this whole thing work. Why is this not an option in PopPeeper?

Here are the steps I used in case this helps someone else:

1) In Yahoo Mail, Archive your Yahoo messages (yahoo automatically moves all your Inbox messages to the Archive folder). This helps so that you don't POP3 thousands of old messages.

2) Under Yahoo Account Info/Options > Account Security > Generate App Password for Other App - call it "Gmail". Copy this password and paste it into:

3) Under Gmail Settings > Accounts & Imports > Check Mail From Other Accounts > Add a Mail account
-Use the Generated Password from above (NOT your actual Yahoo Mail password).
-Make sure to CheckMark "Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server" and "use SSL".

All messages from this point on are left untouched (unRead and unDeleted) in your Yahoo Email Account Inbox. And they do NOT get POP-ed again once you have deleted them in PopPeeper or even separately in Gmail.

OH and don't forget to Sign into your Yahoo Email account at least once every 6 months - as Yahoo will delete ALL MESSAGES and ALL FOLDERS Without WARNING, in accounts that are NOT SIGNED INTO after a certain period (not sure if 6 or 12 months). POP3 does not count as a Sign In.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

mpman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:59 am Why is this not an option in PopPeeper?
It doesn't need to be an option because POP Peeper *always* leaves messages on the server -- it's not prudent for an email notifier to automatically delete messages :) If the POP3 server deletes messages automatically, then there is nothing that the client (POP Peeper) can do about that -- except as noted in the FAQ. Most POP3 servers don't auto-delete messages, but Gmail is an exception (and POP Peeper automatically applies the "preview" work-around if you initially create a gmail-pop3 account; but using imap is always the better solution).

Edit: I realize that you're talking about when you specifically tell PP to delete messages -- that's apples and oranges for the option you're talking about. And, besides, I have already mentioned the "hide" option numerous times.
mpman

Post by mpman »

Just an update after using the Gmail POP3 solution from above for the last 2 weeks.

It's not as INSTANT as when Yahoo would Forward my emails to Gmail/PopPeeper. It seems like Gmail checks the POP3 accounts you add at random intervals. A message can arrive within seconds or up to 1 hour later. And there doesn't seem to be any settings in Gmail to change the interval/checks of POP3 accounts.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help and input. It will have to suffice for now.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

My guess is that there is a minimum interval that gmail will check your external accounts, but perhaps it will delay it if its servers are too busy or something. Or maybe gmail learns when you're more likely to receive email and checks more often during those times. :|

But, glad you found a solution!