Clickable Hyperlinks in Compose Window?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ronw

Clickable Hyperlinks in Compose Window?

Post by ronw »

When viewing a message, hyperlinks in the text are shown and are clickable. Is it possible to have hyperlinks clickable when a message is being composed?

Ron
spc3rd

Re: Clickable Hyperlinks in Compose Window?

Post by spc3rd »

Morning Ron,

At present, I am not aware of any way to accomplish what you have asked about. Jeff and other members of The Esumsoft Team may have additional feedback for you on this.
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

I am not aware of anyway to do this as well, presumably what you want to know is if a link will be clickable and/or work in a browser. What you could do to determine this is to copy/paste the link(s) to your browser address bar to test if the link(s) will open in your browser (prior to sending the message). Hope this helps.

Other members of the Esumsoft team may have more information to add as well.

Addendum: As I contemplate your question further Ron - I'm personally not aware that Email Clients will in general provide "clickable" links in a respective "compose" window. Are you aware of any Email Client where this can be done?
Last edited by mjs on Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to add addendum comments
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ronw

Post by ronw »

Thanks for your replies. lakrsrool, I use (an old version of) The Bat! and most hyperlinks and e-mail addresses do show up as clickable links. Evidently, it scans the text and looks for "http://" 'ftp://" "www" etc.

I've often taken advantage of this feature to check that links in my e-mails are valid before sending them.

Ron
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for that feedback ronw - interesting to know. That is handy to be able to easily test links (it is admittedly a rather highly sophisticated Email Client with a very high level of security and multitude of features). The only experience I've had with The Bat! was a place I worked at where my boss really liked The Bat! so they used it there in our tech support at my place of work... This was 2 decades ago now - so the only thing I can recall, after all this time, is that a Bat would flap its wings when messages were processed. Kind of a cool thing. 8) (I wonder if it still does this now :-k)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ronw

Post by ronw »

lakrsrool, I am still using version 2.12 of The Bat!, which is from 2004, so it might be close to the version you knew. Why didn't I upgrade? It was just working very well for me and I didn't need any of the new features that came out. Now I'm in a position where so much has changed that it probably wouldn't be possible to do a straight upgrade of the software and my message bases.

Ron
mjs

Post by mjs »

It was about 3 years before that when I was using The Bat! at work (it had only been around 3-4 years at that time as I recall) - my boss was real impressed with it back then. Yea, at this point it's probably been too long between upgrades.

So does your version still display the Flying Bat graphic when new messages arrive?
ronw

Post by ronw »

The bat in the taskbar icon continually flaps its wings for me. It might be because I have years of unread messages in mailing-list folders, which I've just selectively browsed for topics that interest me. The flapping of the black wings in the small icon doesn't bother me and I rarely even notice it. Usually I'm not a fan of animated graphics.

I just checked and there is an option under Preferences / General: "Icon animation when unread messages are detected." Unchecking it stops the flapping!

Ron
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Links will be clickable in POP Peeper v5.1.

This has some repercussions with spell-checker, since the underline can't represent both the URL and a misspelled word. It favors the URL, so I decided to disable real-time spell-checking for URLs, which I'm pleasantly relieved to see that Firefox does something similar when I type a gibberish URL into this text box (even though the URL isn't clickable as I'm typing it here). I was on the fence as to whether the full spell-check (F7) should spell-check URLs, but I decided that (for now) it will.
ronw

Post by ronw »

Thanks, Jeff. This will be a useful feature.